Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-01-2017, 15:31   #31

Boat: Outbound 521
Post Re: Is there a way for a Canadian to keep and sail a boat on the US east coast?

I am Canadian and so is our boat, flying the Maple Leaf, registered in Montréal, insured of course, you will need a Cruising license from the Homeland Border Patrol, you get one at a port of entry. In NJ you need a a boat license.
AlohaSpirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2017, 15:33   #32
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser
Re: Is there a way for a Canadian to keep and sail a boat on the US east coast?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlohaSpirit View Post
I am Canadian and so is our boat, flying the Maple Leaf, registered in Montréal, insured of course, you will need a Cruising license from the Homeland Border Patrol, you get one at a port of entry. In NJ you need a a boat license.
You may have a regisetred vessel, a licensed vessel, a documented vessel or a state registered vessel but there is no such thing as a "boat license" in Canada or the US. Please explain your terminology.
Old 16-01-2017, 15:39   #33

Boat: Outbound 521

I meant in NJ you need a Boating Safety Certificate issued by the State.
AlohaSpirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2017, 16:28   #34

Boat: Morgan 384/ 1982

There are Canadians at my dock in Florida for 10 years now. Canada says if the boats reg in Canada it must be moved out of the US I think its every 2 years so my friends go to the Bahamas. Last year he did not feel well and the Bahamas was not going to happen I drove him to the Tax office and we registered it in the USA Florida. ! Now he can stay and never move if he wants to . He lives in Quebec here 6 months every winter
stnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2017, 17:03   #35

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure

From Montreal if you drive a couple hours south, you'll find Lake Champlain - while this is in New York, a quick look at all the boats would have you believing you're still in la belle province.
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2017, 17:12   #36

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
Some are making this way too complicated .... Given the budget of the OP..... Buy an American owned , state registered boat and go sailing, No cruising permits or interactions with customs at all, no limits on how long your boat can stay in the US. As previously noted each state has it's own tax rules so be aware of those depending on where you buy the boat. If you buy a Canadian boat and try to take it into US waters on a long term or permanent basis things get more complicated.

30 odd posts, many with wrong information. The above is about the best advice. As for keeping the boat in Maine to Jersey (unfrozen water) you should check on how many boats are out there sailing in winter. If as you (OP) say you want to " launch yourself and family into sailing adventures" start small, go sailing in your backyard. Lots of good sailing there. And it will be an adventure.
Old 17-01-2017, 05:30   #37

Nautitrix,Never a problem cruising US waters state registered.

However, different entry ports may observe different rules or interpret rulesdifferently. I have always returned from the Islands to West Palm Beach. I must add that I asked for the latest rules enforced from the WPB Port Captain before I left. Sometimes they may enforce that you check out with customs and emigration, in any area, before you leave. You have a couple of days to leave. When you return you have paperwork.

Either way I have never experienced a problem. The rules observed by different officials are not consistent or they change. Be informed in person before you leave get his name. A port Captain may tell you that the vessel takes on the nationality of its captain. So check out with the authorities first. I always flew a Canadian flag.
Scaramanga F25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2017, 07:47   #38

You might try area around Cape Charles, Va, lower Chesapeake Bay, rural, good rates, safe etc.
dahshore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2017, 08:41   #39

Boat: Corbin 39

Good information keep it coming
dmalcol1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2017, 11:12   #40

Boat: Hunter 37c

Scaramanga
Thank you for the very informative reply. We are currently on the hard in Virginia, and plan to cruise out of Florida, to the Islands next season and wish to keep the boat in Florida for the summer. I had heard about getting the name of anyone you speak with and jot down a note of what was said. We are under Canadian registry but much of what you say will still apply. How do you find Crossing over from WPB. It sounds like a very good port of exit/entry
nautitrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2017, 14:02   #41

Boat: Catalina 22

One thing I am puzzled about the OP is on the Westside of Canada? He wants to keep a boat in the upper East coast of the USA. Would he not get more quality sailing near Vancover ? I was originally thinking he was near Toronto. Still best wishes and fair winds to ya Mate ,Lou
Lou254 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2017, 14:59   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou254 View Post
One thing I am puzzled about the OP is on the Westside of Canada?
Montreal is not on the west side of Canada.
Old 20-01-2017, 16:05   #43

Right and his post says Montreal on his location it says Princeton I thought they are opposite ends of Canada ? Do I have Princeton mixed up ? I first. made a post to suggest the great lakes. I was thinking Erie or Ontario might be a great place to be. The location would let you go three routes out to the ocean. He could get to know the boat . I have sailed Erie a lot and think Canada is so nice. Lake Erie gets a bad rap I have read stuff like Harbors few and far apart . It is not the ICW but you have harbors on both sides. Most of the US is safe and Canada is safer than the USA. What a nice place to be in the Summer. Long days and great sunsets. It is not beastly hot . Anyways give me the lesson on locations Kind Regards ,Lou
Old 20-01-2017, 18:38   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou254 View Post
Right and his post says Montreal on his location it says Princeton I thought they are opposite ends of Canada ?
Don't know what post you were looking at - OP's location is Montreal. Long haul down the St Lawrence (St Laurent) to the Lake Ontario; even longer haul to Erie.
Old 20-01-2017, 19:42   #45

Top left corner says location Princeton. It also says he joined in January. Yes his post refers to Montreal. No big deal. Maybe it is Kingston? An old song sings about lost in Kingston Does the compass have a hard time in Kingstone I was only asking someone like you Lodesman. I have to rely on a Canadian to help me out. Kind Regards ,Lou

Tags
east coast, sail