Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-01-2021, 09:15   #16

Boat: Knysna 440 once I get my new dock and the canal gets dredged
Re: Is this a bad idea?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuru05 View Post
So the wife and I are planning on moving aboard sometime during early 2022. As such I've started to loosely look at boats for the last couple of months. I have found what looks (on paper) to be perfect for us a Moody 44 down in Granada.

So my question to you guys is how stupid would it be if I were to go down in like March and see if I can work out a deal? Is it a super bad idea to buy a boat that would then sit in storage for probably 8-14 months? Or is it just as likely that I'll find another one just as good in that time?
Not a completely stupid idea if you have a place locally where you could store it economically like a safe mooring field. Getting the boat now would give you a jump on any upgrades or repairs you'd need made prior to moving aboard. There are some major projects you just don't want to be living around and it would give you as chance to learn the boat systems and even go for some short sails. The Moody's are well respected open ocean cruisers that would be in high demand if your situation should change in the meantime. If it's a great deal and you have a place to keep it, I'd say jump on it. Can you even get to Granada right now?
joelhemington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 09:24   #17

Boat: Leopard 45

Good news is Grenada is at the far end of the Hurricane zone and not likely to effect your boat, especially if it is on the hard. bad news is the cost you will incur if you need to pay yard fees etc for a year while she sits on the hard. I'm not even sure if you can make it today to Grenada without quarantining for two weeks after you arrive. I'd have to vote with those who say, wait until you retire to buy the boat.
jim King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 09:43   #18

Boat: Magellan 36

I am 1 year away from retirement, I found my perfect boat here on CF 3 years ago and bought it within a week of finding her (2,000 miles away).

My situation may be different I was looking for a particular boat, almost all I found were neglected or "customized" with ball pine hammer and a chainsaw. This one was in the process of been lovingly restored, in heated storage, sadly the owner had passed away.

Since then have wracked up thousands of dollars for inside storage, many sleepless nights of worrying what I will find when I finally get to see her again and asking myself the same questions you are.

Financially a really dumb decision, for peace of mind, dumb as well for any number of different reasons, but strangely I do not have any regrets hopefully that won't change.

Had she been on the hard in Grenada I would be thousands of dollars richer today.
Barnacle Belle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 10:28   #19

Boat: Antigua 44

As others are saying here, the boat is going to deteriorate and some of the systems working today will not be working when you splash her as they sit and rot in the teped Grenadian summer.

As for Grenada being safe from Hurricanes, thats what everybody (including my insurance mandate) told me in 2004 when Ivan devestated the island. Not a person on the island could remember a hurricane. I can assure you it sucked and don't believe your insurance will take care of you in the process ... it probably will, but then again when the industry gets whacked with big losses things can get a bit wonky.

Grow your money until you are ready to go.
Talk Story is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 10:32   #20

As often the answer is: it all depends.
The positive side is that 2022 is not that far away, the probability being in a hurricane is minimal in Grenada, when you know the boat you be living in you can prepare better your project, buy the stuff you need, etc. Perhaps you'll have the opportunity meanwhile to spend some time in Grenada, on your boat.

But be aware of the risks and answer the question if you want to accept them.

I left my boat in Trinidad on the hard at a serious yard in January last year and I wasn't allowed to return in March because of Corona till now. I pay the yard and someone to take a look at it and he sends me pictures. I'm confident everything is fine (but not perfect).

Click her for taking a look at Noonsite
nepal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 11:37   #21

Boat: Quickstep 24

Another thought: If you had planned this same idea back in 2018 for 2020 you'd have had no idea that a worldwide pandemic would completely upset our world. How lucky are you feeling? What might happen between now and your 2022 date? Are you really sure that our current pandemic will be over (everyone WANTS it over and believes it will be over but no one has true control over the virus -- it mutates). Who says you or close loved ones won't get the virus? Will there be a new worldwide 'issue' that comes out of nowhere? What could happen in your personal life that changes the calculus that you could never have foreseen? Life happens and we have less control, at times, than we realize.

My comments are not meant to be negative, only pragmatic. So my take is don't go the "everything will be OK" route. Some here did and some 'won'. But others did not. Like I said: How lucky are you feeling?
RiverRat37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 19:43   #22

Boat: Bristol 35.5 1978

Nuru05: Saw the ad for your potential purchase, but what about the one in Fiji? same yr, about same $...and personally i'd rather do Fiji than Grenada...never been to either....never owned a Moody, but I do have a vice like the one on the Fiji boat...finally to answer your question....we learned never to be a long-distant landlord and that was only from Santa Barbara to Seattle....granted no one's living on your boat, but then again....how can you know??
Hoodsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 20:22   #23

Boat: Lagoon TPI 37'

If you do it, spend the money and have a captain bring it back for refit. A boat sitting in the tropics for a year can mold pretty quickly. Mold can ruin alot of stuff rapidly. Wiring and any cloth will be ruined.
Our boat sat for a few months in Florida and gallons of cleaners, bleaches, etc. to clean all the mold. We still find wiring with black copper in terminals.
sailingchiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 21:01   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoodsail View Post
Nuru05: Saw the ad for your potential purchase, but what about the one in Fiji? same yr, about same $...and personally i'd rather do Fiji than Grenada...never been to either....never owned a Moody, but I do have a vice like the one on the Fiji boat...finally to answer your question....we learned never to be a long-distant landlord and that was only from Santa Barbara to Seattle....granted no one's living on your boat, but then again....how can you know??

I saw that one in Fiji and it looks really nice, especially since it's already got a lot of the upgrades I'd want to do. The problem is simply the distance and the fact that it's in the Pacific. Our sailing experience is somewhat slim, mostly limited to long weekend charters a few times a year on Superior. So our plan had been to start in the Caribbean because my impression is that the sailing is a lot calmer on average.
nuru05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 15:05   #25

Boat: Nonsuch 30Ultra Grand Banks 36

Quote:
So the wife and I are planning on moving aboard sometime during early 2022. As such I've started to loosely look at boats for the last couple of months. I have found what looks (on paper) to be perfect for us a Moody 44 down in Granada.

So my question to you guys is how stupid would it be if I were to go down in like March and see if I can work out a deal? Is it a super bad idea to buy a boat that would then sit in storage for probably 8-14 months? Or is it just as likely that I'll find another one just as good in that time?
Is this boat owned by a retired British couple ? I was there 18 months ago and was invited onboard a Moody 44 that they had restored to a wonderful level . Looked new from 2 miles out. If it is the same boat it's a gem. Are they still on it ? If so, tea will be served on the foredeck at the appropriate time.
Great people.
MultiCountryDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 18:43   #26

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

We stored at Grenada Marine for 3 summers recently. Monthly dry storage was a bit over $600/month IIRC. We are 44’ LOD. Grenada Marine was typically a bit less than other yards.

Not that it matters but they pack the boats in tight. They haul with a travel lift and then transfer to a trailer so that they can shoe horn the boats in, maximize rental. I could walk from boat to boat on the hard.

Also Grenada is fairly expensive to get work done. If you do go this route you may want to consider running the boat up to St Martin where there are more services and much easier access to affordable parts.

I am a bit sour on Grenada because of some bad experiences. Probably the same anywhere you go, lots of promises, lots of baloney, lots of billing.

But Covid so who knows anything.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2021, 10:04   #27

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
We stored at Grenada Marine for 3 summers recently. Monthly dry storage was a bit over $600/month IIRC. We are 44’ LOD. Grenada Marine was typically a bit less than other yards.

Not that it matters but they pack the boats in tight. They haul with a travel lift and then transfer to a trailer so that they can shoe horn the boats in, maximize rental. I could walk from boat to boat on the hard.

Also Grenada is fairly expensive to get work done. If you do go this route you may want to consider running the boat up to St Martin where there are more services and much easier access to affordable parts.

I am a bit sour on Grenada because of some bad experiences. Probably the same anywhere you go, lots of promises, lots of baloney, lots of billing.

But Covid so who knows anything.
A good write-up. Thanks!
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2021, 19:24   #28

Boat: Jeanneau 41 DS

Quote:
Originally Posted by MultiCountryDon View Post
Is this boat owned by a retired British couple ? I was there 18 months ago and was invited onboard a Moody 44 that they had restored to a wonderful level . Looked new from 2 miles out. If it is the same boat it's a gem. Are they still on it ? If so, tea will be served on the foredeck at the appropriate time.
Great people.
If it is, I can see why the op wants to buy it. Looks like a beautiful yacht. It is now under contract so either he is buying it or it is a mute point about what to do and someone else is.

Abe
sailingabe41ds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2021, 07:35   #29

Boat: Irwin MK III 43ft

I bought 3 boats in far away countries. Never had an issue. but you need to know the process. The last one I bought was in Curacao, and ÙI am from Canada. But I have owned boat for 40 years Thus I know the process. Buying boats in far away places has a few advantages. They are normally equipped for water sailing">blue water sailing and gunk hulling. The last boat I bought, I was in contact with the boat owner for 6 months, in order to make a rapport and feel if he was honest. I negotiated a price before My visit. and My visit was primarily a vacation with the intent to buy a boat. NOT the other way around. I like the boat, I liked the owner and after sea trial and hull out. I made a bank transfer once the legal paper work was done. But you have to know boats, this is not for a newbie. I might sell My boat next year. I am still debating. It is a 43 Irwin. But it is not a fire sale, and it is in Guatemala.
Riggerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2021, 09:15   #30

Boat: 1973 Whitby 42 Ketch

Quote:

Normally I would say you are fine. However with this Covid BS running all over and getting worse and these little islands with limited medical care, you stand the chance if your boat sitting for years before you can get to it. This thing is not going away despite what the new regimes want and the shots. I would suggest finding one close to home so you can get to know it before you and the lady head out. ANd being close to those islands the rules are changing every day. I can see them locking down completely again as they did in BVI.

I purchase on close to home and am so glad I did as I have a chance to work on it and make it fit our needs.

Fair Winds Friend and Best of Luck
uptickguru is offline   Reply With Quote