Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-01-2021, 09:27   #31

Boat: Irwin MK III 43ft
Re: Is this a bad idea?

That is why I am waiting till next year to figure things out. Like I said this is not a fir sale, not a bad money situation, so I can wait it out.
Riggerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2021, 11:36   #32

Boat: Beneteau 473

I would suggest you find a local boat that fits your requirements and looks like a perfect deal "on paper". Go look at it.

Do this over and over again -- locally -- within a day's drive of home.

Then, and only then will you realize how stupid (your word not mine) it would be to buy a ticket to Granada.

It's hard enough to do a search without all the constraints that involve Granada thrown into the mix.

Good luck in your search, hopefully close to home, for "too many reasons to list".

Wireless1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2021, 11:50   #33

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wireless1 View Post
I would suggest you find a local boat that fits your requirements and looks like a perfect deal "on paper". Go look at it.

Then, and only then will you realize how stupid (your word not mine) it would be to buy a ticket to Granada.

It's hard enough to do a search without all the constraints that involve Granada thrown into the mix.

Good luck in your search, hopefully close to home, for "too many reasons to list".

Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2021, 12:09   #34

Boat: 1973 Whitby 42 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wireless1 View Post

Yep, that is what I did and the perfect boat found me when I was not looking. And only a 20 minute drive away.

The islands are a mess with Covid, hell so is south Florida but at least we are open and sailing so I count my blessings.

I'm heading out tomorrow for the weekend. Best of luck in your search!
uptickguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2021, 12:22   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talk Story View Post
Grow your money until you are ready to go.
If you leave your money invested, it should at least hold it's own.

If you buy, at best you will be out storage and maintenance for the year which can easily push into several thousand dollars.

Plus there is the stress of not being able to check up on her. You may feel pressure to hire out work to unknown people at exorbitant prices.

It would be one thing if the world was opened back up and you were retiring right now.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2021, 15:09   #36

Boat: Alan Payne sloop, 12.5m, Sylph VI

My own thoughts would be if you think this is a good boat that will meet your needs then make a stupidly low offer. You have plenty of time and other opportunities will come along if the boat is sold. But, you never know, if the owner is unable to sell he may contact you in say six months from now and you are half way there (this has happened to me but in the meantime I had already bought a boat). Just be prepared for the offer to be accepted straight away.
Sylph VI is offline   Reply With Quote