Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-02-2019, 13:52   #16

Boat: 40 ft Van Dine Custom Gaffed rigged Schooner
Re: Is this a disservice to the boat?

That's exactly the kind of options I want to know are there. I'll give them a call. Thanks!
Tatheelrod22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2019, 17:40   #17

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatheelrod22 View Post
This is as likely an indication that I have fallen over the "emotional edge" with SV Stella Polaris as it is the things I'll restate here, but I haven't found anything in addition to her that meet these personal requirements.
1. less than 5 ft draft
2. non wood hull
3. traditional rig
4 capable of getting rated for getting more on board than than the 6 pack. I only qualified for the 25 ton with my vessel time, but I could get numerous boats inspected and approved for maybe up to 20 passengers.

There are many boats that meet SOME or MOST of these requirements. In my mind it's rare to find one meeting all 4.
Keep in mind that in order to get more on board than a 6 pack the vessel will start to need to meet strick requirements including stability tests. This can get complicated.
captlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2019, 22:07   #18

Boat: Condor Trimaran 30 foot

Tat, my boat is in San Carlos Mexico, so I know some skippers who have some black hulled vessels. Let me just say that black hulled vessels in hot climates is beyond brutal. Two of the guys told me they wished to Heavens they never bought a black hulled vessel. Just sayin.

Another thing ... things happen in storage yards that are unexpected consequences. One fella, in Napa California, had set up up everything so that his ketch would be okay over a 3 month time while he was away. But somehow some one unplugged him because they needed the receptacle. Came back to a ruined battery bank and all kinds of mold issues. Things happen when u r away that are hard to predict and guard against.
alansmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 11:02   #19

Boat: 75' steel sutton ketch,Warwick 70' aluminum sloop

Slap some white latex over the black hull or wrap it in white vinyl idf you are worried about the "Oven Effect"
s/v michaela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 11:46   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatheelrod22 View Post
Ideally there would be enough "snowbird" business for me to be open for business from Oct to April, then move on when the summer crowds start showing up. Traffic, not heat is my main reason to not prefer to be there in the summer, although a very controversial plan to open up another tollway to alleviate snarls and help with hurricane evacuations. I suspect however that should available client count drive my decision I'm going to need to be there during the summer months.

Shifting gears a bit and maybe about to post another thread here because I just realized another thing I've been pondering and trying to decide when to look for the answer might be answered by some folks here. Does anyone know if with my USCG 25 tome Master's License with the sail endorsement would allow me to work as a sail charter captain in Canada? Will they both recognize my license AND allow me to be employed there? My IDEAL way to spend my retirement years would be April through Sept. in Nova Scotia, and the rest in Coastal AL and the Fl Panhandle
A dark hull in a tropical climate is rather a non-starter. Charter clients will desire A/C.

You would need to obtain a non-tourist visa with work permit to work in Canada.

Americans Working in Canada
If you are an American citizen, you may be eligible to apply for a Canadian work permit or apply to work in Canada under the Skilled Worker Program, which could eventually lead to permanent residency.

Obtaining a Canadian Work Permit for Americans
Thanks to the USMCA (United States-Mexico-Canada Agreement), it is much easier for a United States citizen to obtain a work permit in Canada. However, there are still requirements that must be met. These requirements include:

You must have a job offer from a Canadian employer. One can not self-employ.
The job offer type must be listed in the USMCA agreement
You must be able to prove you are a United States citizen
You must be able to demonstrate that you have work experience and education that make you qualified for the job you’ve been offered.
You may also be required to obtain a positive LMO. This is also called a Labour Market Opinion, and your employer will obtain this on your behalf while giving you a copy for your work permit application. This assures the Canadian government that there are no Canadians available to fill the job you’ve been offered.

Americans Applying Under the Skilled Worker Program
If you would like to work in Canada but would like to use your work experience as a pathway to permanent residency, you could also consider the Skilled Worker Program. To be eligible for the Skilled Worker Program, you will need to have at least one year of full-time work experience in a management occupation, a professional and related occupation, a technical occupation, skilled trade or paraprofessional occupation. You will also need to determine your eligibility based on the program’s point system, which measures certain criteria such as your language proficiency, work experience and age.

As to your question regarding charter license in Canada, you asked that in 2019. Reference your similar topic thread.

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...re-214587.html
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, service