Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-02-2019, 08:04   #1

Boat: 40 ft Van Dine Custom Gaffed rigged Schooner
Is this a disservice to the boat?

I'm planning to retire in 2 to 3 years. For quite some time I've thought I might like to run sail day charters in retirement, and to that end I recently got my USCG Master's license with the Sail endorsement. I have been looking for the vessel that suits both my aesthetic desires as well as the characteristics that will work well in my intended charter area, the Florida panhandle. I desire a traditional boat, much prefer a glass hull over wood, and having sailed these intended waters for almost 40 years know, I'd eventually regret buying anything that draws more than 5ft.

I've found what I think is the perfect boat. If I've done it right this should post with a picture of her with her brand new cover. Here are my questions and concerns, and I'm deferring to opinions here from folks who "aren't already attached emotionally" to the vessel as I admit I am. There are already a few day sailing charters where I want to operate, but none that are traditional boats. That type boat meets my eye and will be differentiated in the market some by those qualities. She is a gaff rigged schooner with a very acceptable draft. For those of you who will point out she doesn't have stanchions and lifelines that will That is such a rare animal I'm thinking I should buy her even though it will be a few years before I can put her in service and really give her the time she needs.

Question 1. Note the brand new cover, which would keep the teak decks and all the brightwork out of the weather. That's a huge plus, but in the hot humid weather on the gulf coast 4 to 5 months or the year, and her having a black hull, would this turn her into "an oven" and be bad for her? With the cover on I could leave a number of ports open and even the companionway, and have some fans on timers below keeping air circulating, so would this be enough? I envision getting about 1 weekend every 6 weeks or so being able to get down to her and do what needs doing and take her out some.
Question 2. The boat is in Rock Hall MD. I don't think but don't know for sure
if that's far enough north to have indoor storage options, but I occasionally see boats stored that way online in the NE. Is it prohibitively expense to find a place for indoor storage and are there any in a reasonable proximity to there?

Apologies for this being this long but I wanted to get out what I thought are pertinent details and what my thoughts are at this point.
Tatheelrod22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2019, 08:27   #2

Boat: Formosa 41
Re: Is this a disservice to the boat?

I imagine you are looking at Stella Polaris.

Looked at the listing and that is one beautiful boat.
Jason Flare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2019, 11:25   #3

Boat: Down East 45 Brigantine schooner

Stella Polaris certainly is an eye-catching gaff schooner, but I’m not sure if she fits the bill as a good day-sail charter boat.
I have done a lot of day chartering, although not in America, but I think the clientele will likely be the same. Presumably they will be landlubbers by-and-large, and if that’s the case it will need a crew of at least two, plus the skipper to haul that gaff ‘tweenmast and mainsail up and down, not to mention any tops’ls she has. She is narrow in the beam and doesn’t draw much for a 44 footer, so my guess is she will be a bit tender. I think one head might be a problem as well if—or rather when—somebody clogs it.
I’ve set my own schooner up with an eye on both overnight and day chartering, but with a definite emphasis on ease of handling.
I understand the OP’s concerns about heat and humidity in The South. If the boat has a complete cover, (can’t see that in any pictures), obviously that’s an advantage in certain seasons, but in the summer the answer is air conditioning. Clients might value that as well, but under way that means a generator, so is there room in that shallow bilge?
Anyway, that’s all just my unattached opinion, which the OP asked for.
Old 26-02-2019, 11:44   #4
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Is this a disservice to the boat?

Heres one that does day charters out of Portimao on the Algare along with her crew.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	santa-bernarda-caves2.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	34.8 KB
ID:	186682   Click image for larger version

Name:	santa-bernarda-caves3.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	27.3 KB
ID:	186683  

You can't oppress a people for over 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."
Self defence is not an excuse for murder.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2019, 13:34   #5

Thanks for the replies. I tried to post a picture of her with the cover on but obviously didn't figure out how to make that happen. My concern IS WITH the heath and humidity she would endure day in and day out 4 to 5 months out of the year. With the full cover I could set up a couple of fans below with portholes open and even one or two on deck if need be possible with timers to have them run intermittently. I'm just afraid that two or maybe three seasons like that would be hard on and unfair to her.
Old 27-02-2019, 08:15   #6

Boat: Island Packet, Packet Cat 35

I had a Taiwanese built sailboat, glass over wood. Had a canvas tarp on it during the winter and left it on when it got warm/hot as I wasn't around to remove it. It did not hurt the teak decks or the glass but it did ruin the paint. We had LPU'd the cabin top. In the warm time can you at least roll up the edges a bit to allow airflow? And if you have, or can create an opening or 2 on top that would finish it. The openings can be done by a canvas worker and they would keep water out as well. Something else to consider. You're not around, it hot in there, private and protected. I'd imagine one day you come on board to find the bees and or wasps have set up a new home under it all.
Cpt Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2019, 08:27   #7

Boat: Morgan Catalina 45

Our answer on our 45' center cockpit during hurricane storage in the Florida keys has been a dehumidifier and an ozone generator, both on timers and solar to keep the batts up. The dehumidifier ran every day from the batts late while they recharged earlier. the ozone gen. ran once every 3 days for one hour along with circulating fans also on that timer. The result was an absolutely mildew free and sweet smelling boat after 4 months away. They could have run for more than a week with no sun. I suspect the batts were full every day.
The boat was totally closed up. No ventilation except a small solar vent that accomplished nothing the season before.
You could use temporary solar panels if you thought they would not look right.
Seriously Slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2019, 08:39   #8

That's also great info. I think I'm hearing "where there's a will there's a way", which is what I was looking for. I'll have to research a bit what an ozone generator is, as I have no clue:-)

I will have shore power and will have to check but I think my power will be "flat fee per month", so wouldn't even need the solar but might be nice for backup. This is also as 1st class a marina as I've ever seen, so I feel good about staying in touch with them and them doing vice versa if need be.

A plug here for the marina by the way. I've never been in a nicer one. You should check out Barber Marina in Elberta AL online. Family that owns it has tons of money and doesn't do anything not first class. If you are into Indy car or motor cycle racing check out their Barber Motor Sports facility near Birmingham AL also
Old 27-02-2019, 08:47   #9

Boat: Pearson

Heat ,humidity and customers not able to tolerate that without a/c could be a problem. I have lived in fl. inall weather without a/c currently in the panhandle, the heat can melt locals. Charter fishing boat operating around have a/c in their state rooms or enclosed cabins and people stay inside until they reach the fishing grounds, fish and go inside, with the vessel traveling 9-17 knots, thus a breeze. A black hull is death. covered slips are hard to find.
Old 27-02-2019, 09:04   #10

I will be available for over night charter trips only on a case by case basis. Mainly interested in two hour day or sunset cruises. The boat doesn't have AC but that is one of the first things I'll look into if I go ahead with the purchase. At this stage in life I wont be spending nights on board without it from May thru October. If space is an issue(doubtful but possible) I'll just buy a cruiseair unit. We had and used one for years on two of our past boats.
Ideally there would be enough "snowbird" business for me to be open for business from Oct to April, then move on when the summer crowds start showing up. Traffic, not heat is my main reason to not prefer to be there in the summer, although a very controversial plan to open up another tollway to alleviate snarls and help with hurricane evacuations. I suspect however that should available client count drive my decision I'm going to need to be there during the summer months.

Shifting gears a bit and maybe about to post another thread here because I just realized another thing I've been pondering and trying to decide when to look for the answer might be answered by some folks here. Does anyone know if with my USCG 25 tome Master's License with the sail endorsement would allow me to work as a sail charter captain in Canada? Will they both recognize my license AND allow me to be employed there? My IDEAL way to spend my retirement years would be April through Sept. in Nova Scotia, and the rest in Coastal AL and the Fl Panhandle
Old 27-02-2019, 09:57   #11

Boat: Victoire 1122

probably you like this one : zeezeilen
Horus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2019, 11:45   #12

Location: Gone sailing! Please don't tell our adult kids where we are!
Boat: Downeaster 38

Here's another one for you. Located in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico, She's been a day charter for a long time down here.

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/197...dard%20listing

I had my Murray Peterson wood schooner on the Dog River in Mobile for 3 years. The summer there was brutal. Kept the boat fully covered and the dehumidifier on 24/7. The dehumidifier collected 15+ gallons a day during the 3 to 4 hottest months. And the weather in general took a big toll on all the exterior wood even though completely covered.

With the "at the boat" time you mentioned, you will need someone to keep the maintenance up while you are away or the girl will just go downhill quick. Maybe wait until you get closer to retirement perhaps?

Wishing you well with whatever you decide.
Old 27-02-2019, 11:51   #13

Boat: Hylas 54

One weekend every six weeks is a disservice to any boat. That's unlikely to be enough time to keep up with the maintenance, never mind going sailing. Why not delay purchase until you have the time to enjoy her?
jt11791 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2019, 12:16   #14

This is as likely an indication that I have fallen over the "emotional edge" with SV Stella Polaris as it is the things I'll restate here, but I haven't found anything in addition to her that meet these personal requirements.
1. less than 5 ft draft
2. non wood hull
3. traditional rig
4 capable of getting rated for getting more on board than than the 6 pack. I only qualified for the 25 ton with my vessel time, but I could get numerous boats inspected and approved for maybe up to 20 passengers.

There are many boats that meet SOME or MOST of these requirements. In my mind it's rare to find one meeting all 4.
Old 27-02-2019, 13:14   #15
cruiser

Boat: 53' Hatteras Cruising Yacht

Great boat. I have mine in the yard at North Summit Marina off of the Chesapeake Bay. There a pirate ship in the yard. My cruiser is 53' 40 tons. The crane they have can handle 50 tons.

No inside storage but there are 3 clear space warehouses there. Normally used for building/rehabbing big boats. If one is empty for the winter it might be worth looking into. I am in the yard. Not a big area, handles about 12 40 to 60 footers. Fenced in, security, history of being safe, they allow you to work on your boat. It's about a 1000 feet from the water. You can leave your masts up. The marina isn't bad and kept ice free. handles big boats.

Good luck regardless
SouthernPride is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, service