Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-06-2017, 16:00   #16

Boat: Cheoy Lee PH43
Re: Is this a viable plan?

Maybe I missed something, but if you are a UK citizen why can't you enter/leave the US on an ESTA (Visa waiver).
Allows up to 90 days per visit and you get it online.
Luther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 00:42   #17

Boat: Cheer Men PT41

I assumed that you would buy a boat here in Florida, cruise for 3 months or more and then return to Florida to sell the boat - you can do a single trip with the 90 day visa but the Bi/B2 would give you more flexibility.
mickand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 01:28   #18

Boat: 44ft mono hull

Yes, the aim is to buy (hopefully in FL) then head to the Bahamas (I've just read an article about Cuba, which looks lovely.....) for at least three months, before returning to FL to sell the boat and return to the UK.

I may be able to get to FL to look at boats once I have arrived in St Lucia but I then need to head off for a Christmas engagement before coming back to the US in early January.

So potentially looking at three entries and exits from the US over the whole trip.
Olly75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 01:41   #19
cruiser

Yes, a good plan. In four years time, I'll probably consider something similar to cruise during the four months of winter. Leave the mothership here in the Med, then pick up something like a 1980's Catalina 36 or even a little catamaran to keep in the Caribbean.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 02:34   #20
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olly75 View Post
Yes, the aim is to buy (hopefully in FL) then head to the Bahamas (I've just read an article about Cuba, which looks lovely.....) for at least three months, before returning to FL to sell the boat and return to the UK.

I may be able to get to FL to look at boats once I have arrived in St Lucia but I then need to head off for a Christmas engagement before coming back to the US in early January.

So potentially looking at three entries and exits from the US over the whole trip.
Hi Olly...this sounds a bit complicated to me.
Given that you will be in some kind of medical recovery and new to sailing, the stress of buying then selling the boat after just a few month may put you off sailing for good if things don't go well.

Sounds like diving is your sport, so why not take part of your budget and find a berth as paying crew on someone else's boat that is into diving.
Advertise this desire and see who is looking for crew/dive buddy and a bit of help with expenses.

Just a thought!
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 06:05   #21

Boat: 44ft mono hull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
Hi Olly...this sounds a bit complicated to me.
Given that you will be in some kind of medical recovery and new to sailing, the stress of buying then selling the boat after just a few month may put you off sailing for good if things don't go well.

Sounds like diving is your sport, so why not take part of your budget and find a berth as paying crew on someone else's boat that is into diving.
Advertise this desire and see who is looking for crew/dive buddy and a bit of help with expenses.

Just a thought!
Its a very good thought!

I was thinking along these lines initially, but then I thought that it might be far to sensible......
Olly75 is offline   Reply With Quote