Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-05-2018, 13:10   #16

Re: Is Tipping an ASA Instructor Usual?

I am completing a 5 day, 4 hour per day, Advanced Sailing course with a US Sailing instructor. Seems like some people tip and others don't. I'm thinking a tip might be in order. He was a good guy. Wouldn't know if he went above and beyond.

There were two of us in the class. Class cost $500. I'm not sure if it's customary but if it is appropriate, what would an appropriate amount be to tip? I'm just speaking for myself. Not the other gentlemen.
webbdavidson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2018, 13:56   #17

Boat: Cheoy Lee Pedrick 41' 1986

So here is a way to look at it from experience as well.....I am an ASA instructor and have done many sailing lessons and charters as well for the school/charter company. Teaching sailing is not for the money that's for sure. A (4) hour ASA 101 typical Saturday from noon to 4:00 class breaks down like this:

Drive down to the marina 11-11:30
Uncover and prepare the boat 11:30-12:00
Actual Sailing lesson 12-4:00
Rinse and cover boat 4-4:30
Drive home 4:30 -5:00
Elapsed time (6) hours

So.... for a (4) hour lesson at $25 per hour = $100
Time required by instructor (6) hours
Actual hourly pay is 16.66 per hour (NIC gas)
Assume 35% 1099 tax on 100 = net $10.83 per for (6) hour
Total for the day is $65.00 (NIC gas)

So as you can see it is not for the money for what really takes the whole day away. I do enjoy teaching and sharing the love of our sport but keep in mind the instructors that take the time to teach for less than minimum wage could use the reward (not entitled) represented by a simple tip when deserved for the patience and care we take to help others. Note: only when deserved just as when you tip a waitress for doing her job at roughly a similar hourly rate however this is expected in US.

Now with that said we would only burn a Saturday day off to help someone learn to sail for the love of the sport and be with cool people because we enjoy it. I would say I rarely receive a tip when instructing and assume that will be the case when I take the lesson simply for the enjoyment. As a charter captain I always receive a tip. Doesn't really make sense as I work much harder teaching that I do on a charter.

Just an angle from an actual instructor..........
Captain Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2018, 07:14   #18

Boat: '79 Albin Vega, '88 Catalina 22

I'm a LAVISH tipper, when such is deserved. But our instructor deserved no tip, so he got none. He was lazy, sullen, disinterested, boring, and taught us nothing we hadn't already learned from the textbook.

The class was a total waste of time and money.
Gene Neill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2018, 15:21   #19

Boat: Knysna 440

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
Heard in Hawaii:

What's the difference between a Canadian and a Canoe?

Canoes tip!
No wonder my husband never tips.
Lonestaralaskan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2018, 15:37   #20

Boat: 2011 Hunter 50

What’s the difference between an Canoe and an American?

One tips over, the other overtips.
zippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2018, 17:21   #21

Here's another thread on the subject.....

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...-133607-6.html
Old 18-05-2018, 19:41   #22
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Seaton 60' Ketch

I've usually been tipped for teaching... at least in the US it seems typical (and the low pay probably assumes that tips make up the difference. YMMV
Scott Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2018, 19:58   #23

Boat: Rafiki 37

Do you tip your professor? Your teacher?

It seems to be more common in the USA, and their influenced markets. It seems fundamentally problematic, and just plain wrong to me. I think it is something that should be resisted.

I have taken cruising courses through the Canadian Yachting Association. No tip was ever offered, nor even remotely expected. The instructor was paid reasonably well to do a professional job.

Tipping is simply a way for the company to offload the cost of its workers onto the customers. It is something that is spreading in the stagnating wage environment that dominates the USA, but is strongly felt elsewhere as well.

As the old saying goes: Just say no. Or better yet, use a school that doesn’t expect the customer to subsidize the wages of its workers.
Old 19-05-2018, 04:50   #24

Boat: Globe, cutter/ketch,38

Hear, hear Mike. Absolutely agree. I hate the who ideology behind tipping. I contract X for a job, that is what I expect in return. When I instructed both recreational and technical diving, I set my price high enough to cover time for the extras, etc. When I took the instructor course, (expensive enough), I never tipped and the instructors never expected to be tipped.

There are times I have tipped. For example on a dive boat it was stated up front the deck hand worked for tips. OK, that I understand. But for taxi drivers, barbers, other professionals, etc, never...
Old 19-05-2018, 06:13   #25
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

Many of my students give a gratuity after the test. Not all do, but most do. Notably, a student who I failed for a variety of reasons — gave me a healthy tip. Not for failing her, but for trying so hard to help her pass.

ASA Instructors make the same as charter captains. To perform a much more demanding task.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
asa