Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-03-2020, 07:46   #31

Re: Is Volunteering as crew to get experience a realistic plan? (for me)

In regards to the original poster...

Yes, your plan is viable. There have been quite a number of people here who have given you good advice.

As a delivery skipper and an instructor, here are my thoughts on it:

1. Many boats are willing to take an enthusiastic beginner. They may charge you a daily or weekly rate, or simply require you to pay your share of expenses. However it can be a (relatively) inexpensive way to get miles in.

2. Having said that, I was careful to say "sea miles" and not "quality sea miles". You never know what you're going to get, whether the owner actually knows what they're doing, etc. When you're thinking about boarding a boat and interviewing for the position, remember that you're interviewing THEM too since you're, literally, putting your life in their hands. Sometimes you're going to get "quality sea miles", sometimes you're going to get "sea miles" and sometimes you're going to be ruined. Do your best not to be in that last category.

During a recent rally, there was a boat where, when we reached the first port of call, the _entire crew_ quit the boat. They disliked the skipper that much. They did find berths on other boats, fortunately.

Basically, I suppose, what I'm saying is that it's a viable plan. However, don't be desperate and jump on just any boat that will have you. You might not get as many sea miles, but you'll be the better for it.
CyKlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2020, 08:51   #32

Boat: Atlantic 57

40 years of taking crew sailing.

It's very rare to find someone who actually knows how to sail.

The best way to learn to sail is dinghies, and racing dinghies. Both keel and centerboard if you can.

Even in the middle of Canada I think you can find these opportunities.

And pay for school when you have time/money.

Really know how to sail, be a nice guy as so many have given pointers, and your sailing career will be off to a great start.

My $0.02
Capdave360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2020, 10:23   #33

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capdave360 View Post
It's very rare to find someone who actually knows how to sail.

The best way to learn to sail is dinghies, and racing dinghies. Both keel and centerboard if you can.
As a delivery skipper I often say I can teach people to sail. I can't teach them to make good decisions.

That said "The big boats get the glory but the small boats make the sailor." (Wind, 1992)
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2020, 10:18   #34

Boat: Alerion Express 28

The more experience you get on the water, the better. But your time on the water will be more useful if you have some basic sailing knowledge. My suggestion is a sailing school. Even if you are far from water, you can combine a sailing vacation with someone like Colgate (although this is previrus advice.) Teaching and doing overlap but they are not the same thing. Learn the fundamentals from a licensed instructor.
DEAN2140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2020, 05:30   #35

Boat: olsen / ericson 34

For a passage, we would not take any unskilled, unknown person cruising. A day sail, sure, to introduce some one to sailing, but that is not a comprehensive training plan for buying your own boat, and heading across blue water or even coastal sailing on your own.

As to getting on board a race boat, those guys are intent on winning their Americas Cup race, even if it is a short one mile around the buoys in a small harbor a bay.

How about this for an idea. that will be instructional and fun, on board and ashore.

Join a respected sailing club, NOT A YACHT CLUB ( that may come later ), dont get the two mixed up. The sailing club in the .U.S.A. should have USCG licensed captains as instructors. Get a good book or two to study and read, but do devote your self to the lessons, and learning.

After you take your several exams and check outs on the vessels at the sailing club, you use their boats and begin with day sails, and then open water passages for overnight or several day coastal sailing.

With a sailing club, you will meet others who you can share not only the sailing, but the cost of the vessel. They are also trained and have a good basic knowledge of all the required aspect of sailing, seaman ship, fog procedures, coastal piloting and electronics, all of the boats different systems, docking and departing under sail, rules of the road, emergency procedures, fire fighting, rough weather, and the list goes on and on.

Another plus: Through your sailing club, they may also have international bare boat sailing trips, hopefully 10 days to 2 weeks where you will be flying to the Caribbean, South Pacific, Europe, and learn reading reefs, med mooring, and also have a super great time along with getting an idea of sailing in foreign waters.

Add to the fun factor : With the sailing club, near you, you will be able to meet other to not only sail with, but they will be having flotilla cruises in your local water, and
parties during the year at the sailing club.....and become friends, sometimes for life.

Finishing off, you want to buy a boat, but really do not know much about the different types and makes and layouts. The sailing club will generally have several different
boats , and by sailing them, you will learn what you like and dislike and have a clue as to what you will eventually purchase as a boat owner.

Gotta get going, but , there you go from a bit of a different stand point.

Good fortune to you and yours, and may you eventually be safely and expertly be
experiencing those adventures in paradise.
Lihuedooley77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2020, 09:12   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyKlop View Post
In regards to the original poster...

Yes, your plan is viable. There have been quite a number of people here who have given you good advice.

As a delivery skipper and an instructor, here are my thoughts on it:

1. Many boats are willing to take an enthusiastic beginner. They may charge you a daily or weekly rate, or simply require you to pay your share of expenses. However it can be a (relatively) inexpensive way to get miles in.

2. Having said that, I was careful to say "sea miles" and not "quality sea miles". You never know what you're going to get, whether the owner actually knows what they're doing, etc. When you're thinking about boarding a boat and interviewing for the position, remember that you're interviewing THEM too since you're, literally, putting your life in their hands. Sometimes you're going to get "quality sea miles", sometimes you're going to get "sea miles" and sometimes you're going to be ruined. Do your best not to be in that last category.

During a recent rally, there was a boat where, when we reached the first port of call, the _entire crew_ quit the boat. They disliked the skipper that much. They did find berths on other boats, fortunately.

Basically, I suppose, what I'm saying is that it's a viable plan. However, don't be desperate and jump on just any boat that will have you. You might not get as many sea miles, but you'll be the better for it.

+1

My thoughts exactly.
My wife and I Crew as a couple. We have learned to interview the boat owners and scrutinize the condition of the vessell as well. There's nothing like being out in the middle of the Pacific on a 39' Cat with both engines out! Really? Both of them? We also declined a voyage on 52' Kettenburge vintage 1962 that did not have hot water, refrigeration, proper heads (they were removed and replaced with a compost toilet that was new to the owner and experimental ) , navagation turned the boat in circles, no bimini coverage. 7 crew were scheduled to be on board and when the boat did not arrive to its scheduled destination even days later than planned my wife and I were glad we were not on board.

My point obviously is to not sell yourself short. You will learn quickly what will be "acceptable" to you. And don't feel bad about asking stupid questions, like "so, were is the emergency life raft". The answer by the skipper, "the boat would probably sink before we were able to get it out and deploy it". Really!

Here's another doozy (different voyage)... we pass an apparently unchartered island a good stones throw away off our port side. Owner #2 says to Owner #1 "what was that and why didn't we see that on the charts"? Owner #1 says "why am I worried about what's behind me when I'm on a rum line going this way". Everyone could have easily perished in this navigational error. At least one owner was concerned about it.

You are in for a great adventure! There is nothing like it!
nvmoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2020, 11:08   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvmoose View Post
+1

My thoughts exactly.
My wife and I Crew as a couple. We have learned to interview the boat owners and scrutinize the condition of the vessell as well. There's nothing like being out in the middle of the Pacific on a 39' Cat with both engines out! Really? Both of them? We also declined a voyage on 52' Kettenburge vintage 1962 that did not have hot water, refrigeration, proper heads (they were removed and replaced with a compost toilet that was new to the owner and experimental ) , navagation turned the boat in circles, no bimini coverage. 7 crew were scheduled to be on board and when the boat did not arrive to its scheduled destination even days later than planned my wife and I were glad we were not on board.

My point obviously is to not sell yourself short. You will learn quickly what will be "acceptable" to you. And don't feel bad about asking stupid questions, like "so, were is the emergency life raft". The answer by the skipper, "the boat would probably sink before we were able to get it out and deploy it". Really!

Here's another doozy (different voyage)... we pass an apparently unchartered island a good stones throw away off our port side. Owner #2 says to Owner #1 "what was that and why didn't we see that on the charts"? Owner #1 says "why am I worried about what's behind me when I'm on a rum line going this way". Everyone could have easily perished in this navigational error. At least one owner was concerned about it.

You are in for a great adventure! There is nothing like it!
I’ll just add a bit here
Absolutely check a boats safety gear.
I crew a fair bit and learned this early.
Early on I had a captain show me a brand new boat
I was crew on. He was very proud of his boat
and made a showing of his brand new life raft.
I did a casual look and found that there was
No Painter, the raft was not tied to the boat.
It would have been of Zero Use in an emergency
ZERO NADA ZERO

I did another passage where the boat provided
PFD’S (I always bring my own) It was discovered at the end of the trip that the captain never put a charged cylinder
in one out of the 4 that was given to the crew.
In other words the thing would not have inflated.

Both situations could kill you
So whenever you get on a boat that’s not yours
and you don’t know the captain or owner
and don’t have 1000% confidence Check everything
FYI, I also never hand over my passport,
copies fine, actual passport never unless its to check in or out. Always have the cash or credit card to repatriate yourself. Sorry ladies but this is 100 times more important for you
Cheers
Neil
Time2Go is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crew, enc