Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-02-2017, 11:25   #46

Boat: Jeanneau 54 DS
Re: Is your boat part of your Doomsday Plan?

I would be more concerned about a prolonged blackout and the effect it would have on the economy and food delivery, waste processing and communication. One EMP or a clever web based attack could do alot of damage. One of many reasons I now live on a boat in Tortola.
bjymd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 11:25   #47
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Is your boat part of your Doomsday Plan?

1066.. if you don't count the odd Viking coastal raids.. the others get stopped at the moat..
Oh.. and the 'Brits' were the Pilgrims..

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 11:27   #48

Boat: 1983 Pearson 424 Ketch

Orange Crush, I hope things never get doomsday-level gnarly here in NYC, but if they do I'll be blasting Billy Joel's "Miami 2017" as I round Rockaway point...
Peregrine1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 11:35   #49
Marine Service Provider

Isn't Portugal right next to France and Spain? A certain radical Middle Eastern bunch used to own the entire Iberian Peninsula which includes Spain and Portugal, and I think they want it back. But, hey who am I to be critical.
jmschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 12:02   #50

An EMP is interesting because even lightning can produce an EMP so preparing for something like that just seems like a good thing to do. I have an older diesel in a jeep that has no electronics and would survive an EMP. I would imagine there are a lot of small diesel motors out there that could be done the same way at least you would still have your engine.
Kita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 12:27   #51
cruiser

Boat: 53' Hatteras Cruising Yacht

The person that sticks around to help others in a doomsday situation is a moron. You might as well help them load your food supplies in their car for them.

My boat is loaded and ready to go, diesel fuel, fresh water maker, food, medical supplies, solar, generator, guns, ammo, crossbow for fishing. 30 miles off shore and watch the fireworks show.

My biggest concern is fuel after the 500 gallons of diesel runs out.

Has anyone ever tried a small sail configuration on a cruising yacht ?
Just enough to get to 3 or 4 knots. ?
SouthernPride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 12:28   #52

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Not a doomsday plan but if something happened to the house then we would move on to the boat moored about a mile away. The house is only a couple of meters above a big HW spring tide

We are planning to rip the old kitchen out and the yacht is looking a favourite for a week in the nearby marina to live on whilst the plumbing and electrics are sorted.

Pete
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	The Haven 001.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	428.1 KB
ID:	140691  
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 12:39   #53

Boat: 1983 Pearson 424 Ketch

William Simpson's book Nautical Prepper is a great read for anyone interested in this subject.
Peregrine1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 12:41   #54

As one who studied nuclear warfare while in government I can say that in the event of a nuclear exchange your boat won't do much good in New York. Now if you were in the southern hemisphere and had well chosen survival equipment then maybe. Other calamities with a longer reaction time may offer you a better chance. I witnessed the fall of South Viet Nam and can tell you it's way worse than the films could ever show.
fish53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 12:50   #55

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
1066.. if you don't count the odd Viking coastal raids.. the others get stopped at the moat..
Oh.. and the 'Brits' were the Pilgrims..
What are you saying? Columbus Day should be Ericksen Day. I agree. smile:
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 14:05   #56

Boat: Bavaria 51

We live on a blue water cruiser which already has months of endurance. Have we "bugged out" already?
Rivatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 14:08   #57

Boat: Allied Princess II 36 Ketch

My Sailboat Gabriel is a blue-water 36 foot ketch and is very much a part of my bug-out plan. It doesn't need to be a doomsday scenario to require "getting out of Dodge." And more than likely you won't need to be off shore for months. Civil disorder following a disaster, natural or man-made, where food power and water are in short supply with desperate, unprepared hoards looting unchecked is not where I want to be. I live on a peninsula and driving out as every one else does also means I would soon be a refugee walking along side of abandoned cars. Immediate family can fit aboard and we have back up locations to meet up via VHF radio. Boat has basic supplies of water and emergency food aboard along with basic clothing. Bug-out bags augment the basics and weapons are also added when we need to go! I don't intend to live on my boat just let the "uglies" pass, then return or go elsewhere.
Dave Humphreys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 14:47   #58

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

This idea is nothing new. When I was in Venezuela (1995) I met a German who was cruising on a wooden boat that his father built shortly after WWII. It was a very odd design, as the interior was jammed full of berths. He said it was a "get-out-boat" (I don't remember the actual German word). They were specifically built for families to get out of Germany if another war happened in Europe. Whether that would actually allow a family to escape through the Kattegat and Skaggerak is questionable, but something to hold on to I guess.

As for my situation, in western Oregon we are all encouraged to have weeks of supplies available for a Cascadia fault earthquake. I think the best thing to do in such an emergency is to get the hell out of town - aside from the security issues, it will take a long time to set up the logistics for feeding the millions of people in the Willamette Valley, as well as the thousands that could be trapped on the coast after the expected tsunami. Hunger makes people do desperate things. From here on Hayden Island it should be possible to motor up to Bonneville dam and lock through to Hood River and further inland, which should be better. If the I-5 railroad bridge could be opened then it would be possible to head to sea and move north or south outside the affected area - a less likely and more difficult trip. I think it does make sense to think a little about such things, but not obsess. I'll leave preparations for Armageddon to the American Redoubt crowd.

Greg
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 15:05   #59

Good on you!
I keep hoping Canada will have a massive earthquake, break off and float down to Mexico already!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
Freedom Ark.

I already moved to Canada.

Good luck "Down There," you're in for a very rough ride.

sailorcherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 15:12   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush View Post
Ok here's a grim topic, but it's something I ponder occasionally and maybe it could lead to some discussion... Do you have a "bug out plan", and is your boat a part of it?

I have met many sailors or wannabes who bring this up as one of the reasons why they bought or want a sailboat. It may have some merit but frankly, I wonder sometimes if people use it as an excuse to talk their SO into buying a boat?
sailorcherry is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat