Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-11-2016, 18:03   #286

Boat: Comet 41s
Re: Jeanne Socrates Oldest Person solo RTW attempt

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmacdonald View Post
Yes, she is attempting to break another record. Sorry you missed it.
Yes I am sorry, but since you know about it maybe you can point me where she said that and what is the record she is trying to break?

One somebody is trying to break a record one states clearly what is the record that is at stake and what is the record that one wants to establish. I cannot find any statement by Jeanne Socrates about that or even that she is attempting to break any record.
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2016, 18:10   #287

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polux View Post
Yes I am sorry, but since you know about it maybe you can point me where she said that and what is the record she is trying to break?

One somebody is trying to break a record one states clearly what is the record that is at stake and what is the record that one wants to establish. I cannot find any statement by Jeanne Socrates about that or even that she is attempting to break any record.
Sure. Here it is: Articles & Interviews with Jeanne Socrates S/V Nereida
kmacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2016, 04:35   #288

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmacdonald View Post
Not exactly what I asked for: others are saying that she is trying to break a geriatric record she never said that or announced that. I find that odd. When someone is trying to break a record one states that explicitly.if that is the case she will be on his 3th attempt on this one and she barely started.

"Sailor heads off from Victoria for record-setting circumnavigation
October 18,2016

"Jeanne Socrates, 74, hopes to become the oldest person to sail solo non-stop around the world. The British sailor set sail from Victoria on Wednesday and will spend roughly the next eight months on the S/V Nereida. If she’s successful in the feat, she will edge out the record currently held by a 71-year-old man from Japan."

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/britis...orld-1.3810942

Anyway if that is the case she is already on the third attempt on this one.

And regarding the other one they say that she sailed solo non stop I seem to recall that she had to make a stop, nut i am not sure. In fact on the article it says: "In fact, this is Socrates fourth attempt at completing the journey non-stop. Her first two trips were hampered by break-downs while she was sailing."

If that is the case what she is trying to do is a personal achievement that she is trying to accomplish since some years ago: to circumnavigate without stopping and having fun with it. It is the others that are talking about records. It does not seem to me that she is concerned with that, and so much better for her, I wish her nice winds, lots of fun and a great voyage.
Old 28-11-2016, 07:05   #289
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 32

Polux

Jeanne has gone around once without stopping, starting and finishing in Victoria. She wants to be the oldest now.
mitiempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2016, 07:27   #290

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitiempo View Post
Polux

Jeanne has gone around once without stopping, starting and finishing in Victoria. She wants to be the oldest now.
She did never stated that it was her intention, much less that she was intended in breaking a record.

Regarding the one solo and without assistance, she stopped in S Francisco, something regarding having lost a liferaft and on the last three months she lost satellite communications and weather reports, having received outside help in what regards weather reports through radio communications.

Maybe she was not satisfied with those accidents and wants to do one really without stopping or any outside help and cares not about the geriatric record but just in doing what she wants to do, a personal achievement that she feels was not entirely accomplished. The lack of any statements by her regarding any intention for breaking a record supports that.

If it was so Jeanne would grew even more in my consideration.
Old 28-11-2016, 07:32   #291

I thought I read that her prop shaft is sealed. Why would it have a seal on it if she wasn't going for a record?
Training Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2016, 09:11   #292
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Olson 30

I'm a good friend of Jeanne. She was attempting to break the record for the oldest person to circumnavigate alone, non-stop, unassisted.

In general "Unassisted" means that nothing is handed up to the boat. This differentiates unassisted from stopping. It's interesting that in the current Vendee Globe, one of the skippers is receiving an upgrade to his software to make it work. I would think that in the virtual world of 2016, the definition of assistance would include software. Is there really a difference between handing up a bolt to repair a broken autopilot ram and receiving a software upgrade to repair a broken autopilot software?

On her last voyage, in which Jeanne broke the record for the oldest woman, she did anchor in San Francisco. Her life raft had broken off. However she did receive specific permission to anchor (not dock) and have a new life raft handed up to her boat (but the person could not board the boat). This permission was granted by the organizing body that recognizes the sailing records.

For the round the world record, there is a specific latitude above which the sailor must go in order to complete the circumnavigation. I believe that this latitude is 20N. (I may be wrong on the exact number) There was controversy with Jessica Watson's voyage because she did not go up above this latitude.

I have not heard directly if Jeanne hopes to continue her record attempt. However on the local news on Saturday I heard that she had abandoned the attempt. She started her voyage from here in Victoria and she received a tremendous amount of TV and newspaper coverage.
Old 28-11-2016, 09:27   #293

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foolish View Post
I'm a good friend of Jeanne. She was attempting to break the record for the oldest person to circumnavigate alone, non-stop, unassisted.

In general "Unassisted" means that nothing is handed up to the boat. This differentiates unassisted from stopping. It's interesting that in the current Vendee Globe, one of the skippers is receiving an upgrade to his software to make it work. I would think that in the virtual world of 2016, the definition of assistance would include software. Is there really a difference between handing up a bolt to repair a broken autopilot ram and receiving a software upgrade to repair a broken autopilot software?
Unassisted means unassisted and certainly receiving software is a form of assistance as it is to receive routing or outside weather information, not directly received by the boat equipment.

That is not allowed and is considered outside assistance.

What was the boat that received the software? I am pretty sure that if any of the other boats protest he will be disqualified from the race.

Do you know why she has not a single reference to attempting to beat a record on his site, regarding this circumnavigation attempt?
Old 28-11-2016, 09:39   #294
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

From her website:
Quote:
This will be my fourth solo circumnavigation and, I hope, my second successful nonstop one - your support will mean a lot to me and help me to succeed. When I finish, I'll become the oldest person to have sailed around nonstop, solo, unassisted.
Why is this such a big deal to you, Polux?
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Paul Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2016, 10:19   #295

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Elliott View Post
From her website:

Quote:
From her website:

Not a big deal at all. In fact I would value more Jeanne if she was not attempting to break a geriatric record than if she was trying to do it just because she wanted to do it as a personal challenge.

What intrigues me is that what you posted appears only as a foot note, as a fact and a coment but on the site or blog and contrary to would be expected, the record attempt has no relevance at all in what regards titles:

For instance on is blog the title is: "S/V Nereida sails around the world"

On his main site the title is: Jeanne prepares to attempt another circumnavigation, starting October 2016

and on bold:
Please donate what you can to show your support for my efforts to complete a circuit around the globe single-handed, via Cape Horn, under sail alone and without setting foot on land until I finish.

On all sites of sailors I saw attempting to break a circumnavigation record the title is " .... is attempting to break this or that record", stating clearly what is intended to be beaten as record. They don't say they are going to do another solo unassisted circumnavigation but say clearly that they are trying to beat a record.

Not a big deal but very odd and because I am naturally curious and cannot find any explanation regarding what she says on their site and blog and what the press is saying, I am interested on the reason why she does not mention the record attempt clearly on her site and gives it no relevance.
Old 28-11-2016, 10:38   #296
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Not a big deal at all. In fact I would value more Jeanne if she was not attempting to break a geriatric record than if she was trying to do it just because she wanted to do it as a personal challenge.
Here's my take on it. She wants to sail non-stop and unassisted around the world again. This is her goal. In the process, she will happen to break the record for the oldest person to do so.

This isn't her reason for wanting to circumnavigate, but it's still a specific achievement and she would like to have it documented for the record books.

The World Sailing Speed Record Council does not recognize the oldest / youngest categories, but certainly this achievement is worthy of notice, and so she is following the "rules" for circumnavigation and using Guinness to verify her accomplishment.

I don't think we should give Jeanne any less credit for wanting to have her accomplishment certified.

I haven't discussed this with Jeanne -- this is just my impression based on what I have seen.
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Paul Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2016, 10:45   #297

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Maybe you can point me to it? (...)
Explicit, no.

Implicit, I took it from statements like:

"When I finish, I'll become the oldest person to have sailed around nonstop, solo, unassisted."

"...without any outside help and without using my motor (which will be sealed)..."

Probably, in my earlier post, I should have written: " I believe I found something on her website from which I inferred she was doing it for a record." Rather than "I too believe I found something on her website about doing it for a record."

Mea culpa. Lingua franca. I am very slack and my English is not native.

For a record or for one's self, the challenge is still the same.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2016, 11:02   #298

Quote:
Here's my take on it. She wants to sail non-stop and unassisted around the world again. This is her goal. In the process, she will happen to break the record for the oldest person to do so.

This isn't her reason for wanting to circumnavigate, but it's still a specific achievement and she would like to have it documented for the record books.

The World Sailing Speed Record Council does not recognize the oldest / youngest categories, but certainly this achievement is worthy of notice, and so she is following the "rules" for circumnavigation and using Guinness to verify her accomplishment.

I don't think we should give Jeanne any less credit for wanting to have her accomplishment certified.

I haven't discussed this with Jeanne -- this is just my impression based on what I have seen.
Yes, I I had hopped it was that. that means she gives more importance to a personal challenge than to a record of dubious interest, even if it is some kind of record nonetheless. That just makes her greater to my eyes.
Old 28-11-2016, 11:21   #299

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Thanks, everybody.

Ann
Old 28-11-2016, 12:13   #300

Boat: Wauquiez Hood 38

Quote:
Unassisted means unassisted and certainly receiving software is a form of assistance as it is to receive routing or outside weather information, not directly received by the boat equipment.

That is not allowed and is considered outside assistance.

What was the boat that received the software? I am pretty sure that if any of the other boats protest he will be disqualified from the race.

Do you know why she has not a single reference to attempting to beat a record on his site, regarding this circumnavigation attempt?
If the software update is available on the internet and he downloads it how does it differ from the weather data they download?

Boat Vinyl Lettering and Graphics
Bleemus is offline   Reply With Quote