Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-11-2016, 12:46   #301

Boat: No more boat (my medical, not the boat's)
Re: Jeanne Socrates Oldest Person solo RTW attempt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polux View Post
Not a big deal at all. In fact I would value more Jeanne if she was not attempting to break a geriatric record than if she was trying to do it just because she wanted to do it as a personal challenge.

What intrigues me is that what you posted appears only as a foot note, as a fact and a coment but on the site or blog and contrary to would be expected, the record attempt has no relevance at all in what regards titles:

For instance on is blog the title is: "S/V Nereida sails around the world"

On his main site the title is: Jeanne prepares to attempt another circumnavigation, starting October 2016

and on bold:
Please donate what you can to show your support for my efforts to complete a circuit around the globe single-handed, via Cape Horn, under sail alone and without setting foot on land until I finish.

On all sites of sailors I saw attempting to break a circumnavigation record the title is " .... is attempting to break this or that record", stating clearly what is intended to be beaten as record. They don't say they are going to do another solo unassisted circumnavigation but say clearly that they are trying to beat a record.

Not a big deal but very odd and because I am naturally curious and cannot find any explanation regarding what she says on their site and blog and what the press is saying, I am interested on the reason why she does not mention the record attempt clearly on her site and gives it no relevance.
Polux, it is OK if you have your own standards and refuse to recognize a record of any type as a result. Personal choice is still a large component of life in many places, and I know of no jurisdiction, country or organization that says if you do not recognize a certain record you are unacceptable. But remember, the reverse is true as well.
Old 28-11-2016, 14:23   #302

Boat: Comet 41s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleemus View Post
If the software update is available on the internet and he downloads it how does it differ from the weather data they download?
I don't know of what software Foolish is talking about. Some you get on internet but very specific softwares that are expensive and sold in very small numbers are not. if the software was available on the internet and he downloaded it then there was not outside help unless the software was posted there with the sole objective to be downloaded by the racer. Than he had outside help.
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2016, 14:34   #303

Boat: Wauquiez Hood 38

They all use Adrena software for weather routing. They post updates quite often. The company is well versed in these type races and am sure they would make the update available to all if there was a bug.

Boat Vinyl Lettering and Graphics
Bleemus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2016, 14:39   #304

Quote:
They all use Adrena software for weather routing. They post updates quite often. The company is well versed in these type races and am sure they would make the update available to all if there was a bug.
Then probably there was not outside help but without knowing all the facts I cannot have an informed opinion.
Old 28-11-2016, 15:02   #305

Chaps.. just read the Vendee Globe news instead of guessing..

The software update in question is nothing to do with weather routing. It is a firmware update for his satellite communications gear which has stopped working. He was sailing down the Brazil coast trying to find a cell signal so that he could download the update. I haven't checked the story to see if he was successful or not.

Sorry for the drift. Trying to get it back on track!
Littlechay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2016, 15:27   #306

Boat: a sailing boat

The phrase 'geriatric record'??? Funny, but are we not getting a step too close to throwing mud?

I am fine with record or not. She is sailing, we, mostly, are not. Or do we all have Inmarsat Broadband onboard ????

;-)

I hope she can fix what needs fixing and keep on going. A day at sea is better than a day in the office.

Where she is now is a much better place to take off for a rtw than that nasty place up North. I bet it will be a case of third time lucky.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2016, 15:33   #307

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

She had a bit of better conditions yesterday but may be in a gale today, still approaching SD. Who was it who asked how far south you had to go this time of year to be out of the stormy weather? At least she is running now though.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2016, 15:43   #308

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
The phrase 'geriatric record'??? Funny, but are we not getting a step too close to throwing mud?

I am fine with record or not. She is sailing, we, mostly, are not. Or do we all have Inmarsat Broadband onboard ????

;-)

I hope she can fix what needs fixing and keep on going. A day at sea is better than a day in the office.

Where she is now is a much better place to take off for a rtw than that nasty place up North. I bet it will be a case of third time lucky.

b.
I must agree with you, record or not, who cares. Just wishing her a safe journey.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2016, 15:53   #309

Boat: No more boat (my medical, not the boat's)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polux View Post
I don't know of what software Foolish is talking about. Some you get on internet but very specific softwares that are expensive and sold in very small numbers are not. if the software was available on the internet and he downloaded it then there was not outside help unless the software was posted there with the sole objective to be downloaded by the racer. Than he had outside help.

Is added provisioning via catching fish a disqualifying event? Does it matter if it is rod & reel, or via a spear gun while diving in a dead calm? I am attempting to flesh out what matters and what does not.
Old 28-11-2016, 16:00   #310

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
b.
I used that expression but I was not intending to be offensive but factual in what regards to the adjectivation of that record. The adjective was used on this sense:

adjective
1.of or relating to geriatrics, old age, or aged persons.

Geriatric | Define Geriatric at Dictionary.com.

therefore a record related with old age

It is in fact a record that is related exclusively with the age of the person, meaning the older age, of somebody doing something. In this case the oldest person doing a circumnavigation.

I apologise if somebody saw the expression as offensive. It meat only to be factual.
Old 28-11-2016, 18:32   #311

Boat: Wauquiez Hood 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlechay View Post
Chaps.. just read the Vendee Globe news instead of guessing..

The software update in question is nothing to do with weather routing. It is a firmware update for his satellite communications gear which has stopped working. He was sailing down the Brazil coast trying to find a cell signal so that he could download the update. I haven't checked the story to see if he was successful or not.

Sorry for the drift. Trying to get it back on track!
So the update is for his satellite communications software. And what is the primary thing he uses satellite communications for? Weather routing data.

Boat Vinyl Lettering and Graphics
Bleemus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2016, 08:39   #312
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Olson 30

Getting back to Jeanne:
A big article in today's newspaper: Sailor, 74, abandons attempt at world record, docks in San Diego

I have to admit that Jeanne has had more coverage and photos in the Victoria Times Colonist over the past 2 months than Donald Trump!
Old 29-11-2016, 11:21   #313

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

If she could just hang out in SD till August and try again I bet she'd make it. Until then she ought to make a movie and do the lecture circuit, I'd love to hear her recounting of her travels and experiences.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2016, 11:43   #314
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Olson 30

Don, are you located in California? Jeanne often speaks at yacht clubs. Get in touch with her directly and I'm sure she'd speak at yours. You can find contact info on her website.

As for hanging around until August. That's not quite right. She wants to hit Cape Horn and the southern ocean during their summer. So leaving North America in November is about right.
Old 29-11-2016, 17:11   #315

Quote:
So the update is for his satellite communications software. And what is the primary thing he uses satellite communications for? Weather routing data.
Yea right - poor phrasing there.. But the download wasn't for his Adrena as everybody was guessing. He couldn't even receive the usual GRIBS.. seems he couldn't download the firmware anyway as he still has no satcoms, except Iridium, apparently.
Littlechay is offline   Reply With Quote