Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-11-2016, 19:08   #316

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37
Re: Jeanne Socrates Oldest Person solo RTW attempt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foolish View Post

As for hanging around until August. That's not quite right. She wants to hit Cape Horn and the southern ocean during their summer. So leaving North America in November is about right.
Yeah I was thinking leave from PNW in August or September or from SD in November. I understand there'd be a lot slow moseying in these plans to leave early enough from up north but not so early that you meet a hurricane down south...
Don C L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2016, 23:20   #317

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Don C L, Jeanne would have to speak for herself, of course, but for me, when I'm driving the boat, I want to feel she's going well. So, moseying, slowing the boat way down, WE'RE TRYING TO KILL MONTHS HERE, would not be acceptable. First off, you're wearing out your gear for no gain; also, you're increasing your exposure; you're not able to take advantage of favorable wind when you get it (would drive me nutzo); finally, I do not think that is what Jeanne wants. But Quien Sabe?

It has occurred to me that Nereida may be getting a little tired, and there may be as yet uncovered fatigue issues with the boat. I have no idea how accurate this thought is, but it has crossed my mind.

I wish Jeanne well, but I do not think an August departure would match well with the goals.

Ann
Old 30-11-2016, 08:29   #318

Interesting debate about when to hit Cape Horn for this sort of thing.

I'd prefer to hit it early spring before the big summer winds kick in. winter and spring are generally quieter with any blows being short lived. Hitting it around the Spring equinox (September 21) would be my play.

Drive down south round the horn drive back north to about 45, turn right and head for the African cape.

That would give her the whole summer for the other capes that are further north and less affected by lows moving south for the summer.
Littlechay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2016, 12:25   #319

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
Don C L, Jeanne would have to speak for herself, of course, but for me, when I'm driving the boat, I want to feel she's going well. So, moseying, slowing the boat way down, WE'RE TRYING TO KILL MONTHS HERE, would not be acceptable. First off, you're wearing out your gear for no gain; also, you're increasing your exposure; you're not able to take advantage of favorable wind when you get it (would drive me nutzo); finally, I do not think that is what Jeanne wants. But Quien Sabe?
Hmmm Ann, I believe I detect a tone of aggravation in your response there
I happen to agree wholeheartedly, I'm just saying when you match the best times to leave one place and go through another, you might need a couple months in between, no? Sure, it doesn't lend itself to setting some kind of record or something, but, hmm, maybe just hang out at some nice Mexican resort drinking margaritas for a couple months? You don't have to touch ground, just anchor close enough so they can throw you the drinks... Save a lot of wear and tear on your boat that way too!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2016, 12:38   #320

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlechay View Post
Interesting debate about when to hit Cape Horn for this sort of thing.

I'd prefer to hit it early spring before the big summer winds kick in. winter and spring are generally quieter with any blows being short lived. Hitting it around the Spring equinox (September 21) would be my play.

Drive down south round the horn drive back north to about 45, turn right and head for the African cape.

That would give her the whole summer for the other capes that are further north and less affected by lows moving south for the summer.
Agree 100%...

I would more inclined to be worrying about getting out of the PNW before the wx turns to poo than fine tuning the arrival at the Horn to catch some magical 'window' at the austral solstice.

The way people are speaking you would think there were only 7 days or less out of every 365 when you could round the Horn....
Old 30-11-2016, 15:13   #321

Boat: Wauquiez Hood 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
Agree 100%...

I would more inclined to be worrying about getting out of the PNW before the wx turns to poo than fine tuning the arrival at the Horn to catch some magical 'window' at the austral solstice.

The way people are speaking you would think there were only 7 days or less out of every 365 when you could round the Horn....
Its not just the Horn. She will spend months in the Southern Ocean. It is a smaller window than what she would like.

Boat Vinyl Lettering and Graphics
Bleemus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2016, 15:49   #322

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleemus View Post
Its not just the Horn. She will spend months in the Southern Ocean. It is a smaller window than what she would like.
No she won't.... the 'Southern Ocean' is south of 60*S or south of the convergence.... take your pick... so she won't be in the Southern Ocean at all.

Maybe for a spell near South Georgia...

However.. Yes... she will be in the south for quite a bit and the Horn is simply a 'waypoint' along the way.

The dangerous bit is before the Horn... draw a line from Boca de Guafo out to about 100*W and then down to Diego Ramirez... thats the tricky bit and you don't pass through that in a weekend.

The danger lies in the fact that you will often get a hard NW gale - with associated sea - blowing over a heavy swell coming up from the SW and that can give a *very* heavy and *very* confused sea.

Similar conditions to what smacked me when further west earlier this year.
Old 30-11-2016, 16:10   #323

Semantics. Any time you are in the path of the lows you are in the Southern Ocean IMHO. Having sailed around Tasmania and getting caught in a 50 kt plus low I may have not been below your 60S line but i can assure you I wouldn't want to be there during the bad season. Its not like she takes a left at the Horn and is back in tropical trade winds.

Old 30-11-2016, 16:15   #324

No semantics at all....
So you are saying the Southern Ocean extends well north of 40*S
Golly
Mind you that is a very Australian view, they reckon it extends up to Eucla.
Old 30-11-2016, 17:16   #325

Boat: No more boat (my medical, not the boat's)

Gosh, all of these critics and perfect weather window comments. Is she not seeking to go around the world, with the five great capes, and whatever other criteria there are included so she can lay claim to the oldest female sailor to do so solo? I suspect that perfect weather is highly improbable, and not even one of the requirements. I am hoping she will be able to get good repairs, some rest, and a quick restart from what ever appropriate place she selects when she is ready.
Old 30-11-2016, 17:43   #326

Quote:
That's what el Ping and I are saying. Hit the horn in the spring then you have the whole summer for the Atlantic and Indian before she can start heading north. That way she doesn't have a small window and doesn't have to rush.

Leaving now in the solstice means that she is heading south in shortening days (anywhere south of the Sun). Hitting the horn on the equinox injects her into the Atlantic with lengthening days which has to be good for the spirit too.
Littlechay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2016, 20:15   #327

Boat: Spencer 53 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
Judging from her blog, except for the swell running there, she could probably use a break for a while. Wish she'd hang a left and reach over to our neck of the woods, I'd like to meet her! But we are a little out of the way for sure and she has miles to go...
Don, you just missed her. She was here a couple months ago and had dinner with my neighbors LaDonna and Rob on her way back to Victoria.

I had the pleasure of meeting her and rest assured, she is fit and has no shortage of energy. If she can get her repairs effected in San Diego shortly, I have no doubt she will complete her voyage.

So many experts here, it's kind of nauseating reading the input. No wonder I haven't had much to say in the last five years.
TheWatchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2016, 21:06   #328

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Don CL,

I wasn't aggravated at you. I was aggravated at the concept of having to slow down the boat enough to lose the difference between an August departure and a November one. I thought it would be emotionally horrible to try to do. And, Jeanne would have to carry supplies for those extra months; and the Najad would have those extra months' exposure. Not aggravated at you, at all.

It's just not how one goes about what Jeanne wanted to do, to me. Which I think means efficiently, not driving it "too hard". She does have to factor in time for rest, though, I grant you that.

Ann
Old 01-12-2016, 05:02   #329

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
No semantics at all....
So you are saying the Southern Ocean extends well north of 40*S
Golly
Mind you that is a very Australian view, they reckon it extends up to Eucla.
Funny. Wonder why they call them the Roaring 40s? Never heard of the Roaring 60s.

Old 01-12-2016, 05:07   #330

Boat: Bristol 47.7

Quote:
Funny. Wonder why they call them the Roaring 40s? Never heard of the Roaring 60s.
But then there's the "Furious 50's."

(I have no idea on the demarcation line that marks the "Southern Oceans").
Exile is offline   Reply With Quote