Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-10-2016, 13:04   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Olson 30
Jeanne Socrates Oldest Person solo RTW attempt

Jeanne Socrates left Victoria yesterday in her attempt to become the oldest human to do solo around the world via the great capes, non-stop.

Jeanne is already the oldest woman to do it, 3 years ago. Now, at 74, she intends to become the oldest person. She's already got 3 1/2 roundings and a total of 135,000 solo nautical miles under her keel, all since turning 60.

Here is her website: Home - S/V Nereida Jeanne Socrates Make sure to look at all the publicity she's gotten over the years. And this does not even include the incredible amount of TV and press coverage she's gotten in the past month.

Last Friday we went for a 9 hour shake down sail. Saw 42 knots wind speed. Here is a nice photo I snapped:
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20161014_152627.jpg
Views:	819
Size:	181.9 KB
ID:	133266

And last night I had a beer with Laura Dekker, the youngest person to do solo RTW. I've got quite a list of friends :-)
Old 20-10-2016, 13:22   #2

Boat: Down East 45 Brigantine schooner
Re: Jeanne Socrates Oldest Person solo RTW attempt

I’ve got a few miles under my belt single handed, but I never could understand why someone, of any age—and especially someone who has lived 74 years—would want to try to prove she is better than anyone else.
Especially doing it in the god-awful environment at sea in a small boat.
What’s the point? The chance of loosing your life is extreme and also possibly endangering others in the process is downright selfish.
Is it for self fulfillment, or just plain egotism?
I’m 72 and don’t feel the need to prove much, let alone risk my life upon a cast.
Old 20-10-2016, 13:38   #3
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

FOOLISH,
Thanks for posting the notice and the photo.
She is an inspiration!
I hope she makes it and creates a new record. Admirable that she is even trying to do so, and especially admirable that she has done 3.5 circs already! Awesome "Elder Power!"

And, you do have a wide ranging range of friends, both in age and experience.
Lucky you to have met both!
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2016, 14:55   #4

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger View Post
. . . Abut I never could understand why someone, of any age—and especially someone who has lived 74 years—would want to try to prove she is better than anyone else.
What’s the point? The chance of loosing your life is extreme and also possibly endangering others in the process is downright selfish.
Is it for self fulfillment, or just plain egotism? . . .

Maybe she doesn't have anything better to do with her life.
Maybe she's sick of people telling her what she as a female and/or someone her age can't do.
Maybe she wants to go out with a bang.
Maybe she doesn't care what people think and she's having fun.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2016, 15:30   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Maybe she likes sailing on the high seas? If you've never spent an extended time in the middle of the ocean you may not understand.
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Paul Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2016, 15:53   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

Wait a minute. Isn't Jon Sanders 77? Or, are there different specifications for their circumnavigations?
tkeithlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2016, 16:12   #7

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkeithlu View Post
Wait a minute. Isn't Jon Sanders 77? Or, are there different specifications for their circumnavigations?
Jon is 77 now. He did his thing in the '80s when he was in his mid-40s. Unless he's out there right now doing it again.

Also, while he rounded the 5 southern capes and even came far enough north to just cross the equater, round Peter and Paul Islands then dip back south again, he didn't come near sailing thru antipodes so the use of "circumnavigation" for his feat is problematic. Don't get me wrong, what he did was truly difficult and impressive, but calling it a circumnavigation is dependant on the exact definition you use.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2016, 17:35   #8

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

We had the pleasure of meeting Jeanne in Hobart a few years ago when she had to abort her non-stop attempt. She had been checking into our morning Ham net for some days as she approached, so we had a good chance to see how she dealt with difficulties... and it was methodical and experienced in general. When she finally arrived, despite the disappointment of abandoning her self appointed goal, she was cheerful and good company. She gave a little talk at a local YC and was gracious to everyone, again despite being quite tired, very busy dealing with boat issues and all the normal things that pop up after a landfall following a long passage.

What I especially like about her efforts is the lack of hoopla, sponsors and sound bites.

A very nice and interesting lady; we wish her another great voyage.

Jim
Old 20-10-2016, 18:03   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

According to a recent CF thread, Jon Sanders recently started his "expected to be last" CN at age 77. I can't speak to the details of route.
tkeithlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2016, 18:09   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger View Post
I’ve got a few miles under my belt single handed, but I never could understand why someone, of any age—and especially someone who has lived 74 years—would want to try to prove she is better than anyone else.
Is it for self fulfillment, or just plain egotism?
I’m 72 and don’t feel the need to prove much, let alone risk my life upon a cast.
There in lays the problem with judging someone from the perspective you have about yourself, you will never understand. I highly doubt she is trying to prove anything to anyone but herself.
Perhaps she's doing it because she can and loves doing it. Maybe she's not ready to lay down quietly and die but would rather leave this world with no regrets and a worn out body. I greatly admire her for the attempt. What an amazing life!
uncle stinkybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2016, 09:10   #11

At the very least, she inspires others - maybe a little younger , to give it a try - maybe to cross the lake, or the bay, or to visit an island. Fair number of seniors on here, judging from the bad knees discussion.
beneclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2016, 09:14   #12

Boat: DownEaster 38

Thanks for posting news of her departure. I met Jeanne three years ago at the San Francisco Yacht Club shortly after her previous RTW record run. She is a charming, humble person who just loves to sail. Check out her website and be inspired. Fair winds, Jeanne!
bobmcd625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2016, 09:33   #13

Boat: Bruce Roberts Offshore 44

I am about to turn 70 and I'm gearing up for a passage around Cape Horn from California to BVI and then on to the Med. Lately I have had thoughts that I am too old for this. Jeanne Socrates is inspirational. Thanks Foolish for posting.
michaelratinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2016, 09:33   #14

Boat: CSY 33
Send a message via MSN to wunderluster

How foolish, her boat has a bolt on fin keel! The prop is exposed and the rudder is on a partial skeg. Surely, she'll never make it
wunderluster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2016, 09:38   #15
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Olson 30

Quote:
How foolish, her boat has a bolt on fin keel! The prop is exposed and the rudder is on a partial skeg. Surely, she'll never make it
She has already been around the world 3 1/2 times on that boat or it's identical predecessor, including 3 times past Cape Horn. VERY FEW people in the world have more singlehanded miles under their keel than Jeanne. At 74, she's not a racer, but she certainly knows what she's doing. That is impossible to question.