Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-12-2023, 13:25   #31

Boat: 35' Alden Design Cutter
Re: Jeez enough with all the Ads

For those that can't see the ads because of their AB's, here are a couple of screenshots. Honestly, it's garbage. (There's even an ad in the attachment tool)

I don't actively run any ad blockers or many extensions because I run a few websites, and these things interfere with testing.

Speaking of running websites, CF doesn't look like anyone has put a dime into it since MySpace died.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ads.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	246.5 KB
ID:	283962   Click image for larger version

Name:	ads 2.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	241.8 KB
ID:	283963  

Iron E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2023, 13:28   #32
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Funny... I laugh at people who think they aren't influenced by ads. Especially whey they are supporting the concept of ads making money. You can't have it both ways Bill.

Ads are everywhere, and of course they influence people... Do you refuse to drive down roads that have billboards?... What about the ads in airports?... Do you refuse to watch sporting events or go to a movie because they shows ads?

Quote:
Exactly . That's why I say I'm happy to open the ad blockers when CF starts paying me for my work. Until that time, it's a trade of services; my words for access, sans ads.

You consider your comments in a forum as being work?
billreilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2023, 13:42   #33

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Well, the writings of Mike and a couple of dozen other frequent (useful) posters are the product offered by the forum. If they stopped posting the thousands of non-contributing folks who look at the forum (and see the ads and click) would go elsewhere. So, while you seem to think writing ain't work, it is indeed the stuff of the forum and worthy of its hire.

So I think Mike has a point!

Jim
Old 01-12-2023, 14:30   #34

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by billreilly View Post
Ads are everywhere, and of course they influence people... Do you refuse to drive down roads that have billboards?... What about the ads in airports?... Do you refuse to watch sporting events or go to a movie because they shows ads?
Hmmm, glad to read you now agree that people can't simple "ignore them."

If there was such a thing as adblock for billboard, or for movies (I don't watch sporting events), of course I would use it. If I had a choice, I would avoid all ads. At least here online, I have a choice.

Quote:
Mine, yes. But I guess you don't think your words are worth anything. Who am I to disagree .

You do understand that it is the content of these forums which brings value to the table? The forum owners value our work, even if you don't.
Old 01-12-2023, 14:55   #35

Boat: 1993 Sabre 362 #113

Quote:

If there was such a thing as adblock for billboard, or for movies (I don't watch sporting events), of course I would use it. If I had a choice, I would avoid all ads. At least here online, I have a choice.

Mine, yes. But I guess you don't think your words are worth anything. Who am I to disagree .

You do understand that it is the content of these forums which brings value to the table? The forum owners value our work, even if you don't.
As a frequent contributor to another forum whose advice is often sought, I have to both agree and disagree with Mike.

He is absolutely correct that the value of a forum is rooted in the quality of information provided by its members. A good and informative response to a question takes knowledge and effort to craft an informative response. However, I don't consider that work. It is what the experienced do to support the sport and lifestyle of sailing and cruising.

For me, dealing with a few well placed and unobtrusive ads is the price of admission. It is easy enough to ignore them. However, if they are obtrusive and interfere with access and the utility of the site then it may be time to move on to other sites.

While site owners can not control ad content, they can control ad placement. The salient message to the owners from this thread should be to rethink the ad placement on their site and prevent them from interfering with users' benefit from CF.

And remember, someone has to pay to keep the lights on.
Dave Lochner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2023, 14:55   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Lochner View Post
DuckDuckGo ... is based on the Bing search engine.
No, it is not.
It merely sources some of its' results from Bing.
Old 01-12-2023, 16:39   #37
Marine Service Provider

Quote:

If I'm in a situation where I'm not doing anything in particular, such as wasting time in an airport while waiting for my flight to board, I will look at ads that catch my attention. On the other hand, when I'm doing something and I'm focussing on a task then ads go totally unnoticed. I guess I'm better at concentrating than some people who get distracted easily.

Quote:

When I comment in forums I hope that my words will help at least some of the people who read them, so yes I think my words are worth something, but I'm not a "what's in it for me?" kind of guy.
Old 01-12-2023, 18:40   #38

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

Quote:
OK, let's break that down.

I love billboards when driving rural highways. The give me valuable information about businesses ahead which I might want to visit, like hotels and restaurants. They're also a nice distraction from endless, boring trees or whatever. And, they're easy to ignore should I choose to.

Now, urban billboards are different. They're often flashing, animated LED displays. A bit annoying, but so are oncoming headlights. I can ignore both and focus on my driving, although, again, they can break up the monotony a bit. They sometimes advertise things like ambulance-chasing attorneys or other things which don't interest me, but I suppose there's some value to some of them.

I'm totally indifferent to ads in airports. I suppose they can offer a bit of local flavor, but again, I can easily ignore them. If they were to jump out in front of me and block my way to the gate, or otherwise prevent me from going somewhere or doing something, that would be more analogous to the kinds of ads most of us here are talking about.

Ads at sporting events also don't get in the way of me enjoying the game, or my hot dogs and beer or whatever. So, again, no problem ignoring them.

They are a bit irritating at movies, but I've got nothing better to do while waiting for the movie to start anyway, so they can't interfere. And I suppose some people actually like to watch trailers for upcoming movies.

None of these are in any way analogous to on-line ads which pop up, take up a lot of screen space, auto-play video or audio or otherwise interfere with using a web site.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2023, 18:46   #39

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
If I'm in a situation where I'm not doing anything in particular, such as wasting time in an airport while waiting for my flight to board, I will look at ads that catch my attention. On the other hand, when I'm doing something and I'm focussing on a task then ads go totally unnoticed. I guess I'm better at concentrating than some people who get distracted easily.
We probably don't want to get into it, but most humans are susceptible to advertising and marketing. Ironically, most people also believe they are the exception to this. You may be, but the science suggests otherwise.

The point is, advertising is not benign, and there is a real cost borne by those who are subjected to it. Telling people to ignore it is not an answer, because most people can't (even though most will think they can).

Quote:
When I comment in forums I hope that my words will help at least some of the people who read them, so yes I think my words are worth something, but I'm not a "what's in it for me?" kind of guy.
If you're suggesting this is what I've said, then you're wrong. I've simply pushed back on the notion that active users should somehow feel obligated to pay for CF. Those of us here are already paying our share by providing the basic product. In exchange, we get to use this site. That seems a fair deal to me.

BTW, if you feel like giving money to the owners, then there is an annual subscription of $15.01 which you can take out.

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/payments.php
Old 01-12-2023, 18:48   #40

Boat: Morgan 382

FWIW, I put effort into getting rid of ads anywhere it is possible. Obviously I can't get rid of them everywhere, but I do what I can. I no longer watch any TV with Ads, paying for ad free content, and canceling services that introduce them. I do not support any ad supported phone apps. I run spam blockers and don't support any businesses that get through.
Old 01-12-2023, 18:54   #41
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:

BTW, if you feel like giving money to the owners, then there is an annual subscription of $15.01 which you can take out.

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/payments.php
As an added bonus, the subscription allows you to create a custom user title - you even have say 'Eternal Member'. Some may be impressed by a user being able to post from the afterlife... but you have keep up the yearly subscription which could create a problem once other creditors get to know that they can extract money from 'Eternal Members'
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2023-12-02 at 1.48.35 pm.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	286.4 KB
ID:	283990  
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2023, 05:31   #42

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

Quote:
We probably don't want to get into it, but most humans are susceptible to advertising and marketing. Ironically, most people also believe they are the exception to this. You may be, but the science suggests otherwise...
Actually, I would want to get into it. To me, that angle would be the most interesting part of this discussion.

Admit it or not, we're all influenced by advertising. Sure, a sale with 50% off some product we were going to buy anyway gets us into the store. But that's not really what most advertisers are going for.

It's that basic human instinct to prefer familiar things. If we hear the brand name often enough, we get comfortable with it. We come to think of it almost as a member of "our tribe." Tribalism, as anyone paying even a little bit of attention to politics throughout history, is a very powerful instinct.

For whatever reason, I grew up in a time when conformity was a bad thing. This anti-establishment sort of thinking gives me the opposite reaction. I make a conscious effort to fight the tribal instinct.

To me, excessive advertising only tells me that the company is putting more money into their marketing than their product. Form over function. I resist buying any clothing with a company logo on it. At elections, I pay close attention to the side opposite that which mails me the most glossy brochures.

I ask myself, why is someone spending all this money to convince (con?) me into buying or voting their way?

This skeptical approach isn't natural. It has to be learned, and practiced. It's very easy to just go with the flow and do whatever we're told by big money advertisers. But I think it's worth it.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2023, 06:00   #43

Boat: Voyage 38 Catamaran

That's funny. The only ads I see are at the top of each page and are easy to ignore.
Old 02-12-2023, 06:24   #44
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Marketing Explained:

You see a gorgeous girl at a party. You go up to her and say, "I'm fantastic in bed".
That's Direct Marketing.

You're at a party with a bunch of friends, and see a gorgeous girl. One your friends goes up to her and pointing at you says, "He's fantastic in bed". That's Advertising.

You're at a party and see a gorgeous girl. You get up and straighten your tie; you walk up to her, and pour her a drink. You open the door for her, pick up her bag, after she drops it, offer her a ride, and then say, "By the way, I'm fantastic in bed".
That's Public Relations.

You're at a party and see a gorgeous girl. She walks up to you and says, "I hear you're fantastic in bed".
That's Brand Recognition.

You're at a party and see a gorgeous girl. You say “I'm rich, marry me”, and she introduces you to her husband.
That's the supply and demand gap.

You're at a party and see a gorgeous girl. Before you can say “I'm rich, marry me”, your wife arrives.
That's restriction from entering a new market.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2023, 08:34   #45
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyehh View Post
That's funny. The only ads I see are at the top of each page and are easy to ignore.

Yes, it's the same for me... There are very few ads and only up at the top of the page... I've never seen a pop-up ad or a video ad on this website.

If you were to ask me what the ads are for I couldn't tell you without scrolling to the top and looking at them... To me they're just white noise that I don't even notice.

--