Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-07-2017, 07:53   #1

Boat: Delphia 37
Jefa rack and pinion issue - stuck at dock

Hi All,

Any advice appreciate, had the motor running and was all set for my first solo sail until I moved the wheel. Feels like the break is on, heavy resistance and things groan when move the wheel.

Unit is a Jefa 200. So far I've taken the connection loose to the rudder and confirmed it's not the rudder binding, rudder moves as expected. I've taken the wheel and pedestal cover off, nothing obvious. Using a stethoscope the sound appears to be coming from the assembly the wheel itself attached too (the first gear assembly).

There is a service hole in the bottom of the assembly and I can see a set screw. I've confirmed it's tight, sprayed some sail lube up there and no change.

Again it's like the break is on but I've got it all taken apart so the break is obviously spun off. I can't determine exactly how that works (provides resistance on the system) but it's certainly off. I thought perhaps the spindle is 'pushed or pulled' from the wheel break and tugged things a little no slop or movement.

I've reviewed all the manuals and cad drawings, no luck. Next step I guess is to remove the assembly the wheel attaches too, that involves taking the whole top of the assemble off under the finger glass cover.

I did find 3x large o-rigs broken, I think these were off the rudder stop.

Thanks all,
Marty
marty9876 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 10:34   #2

Boat: Dudley Dix aluminum 43'
Re: Jefa rack and pinion issue - stuck at dock

Hi Marty, How did this turn out? I have a Jefa TS100 pedestal and am going through the same process as you - disconnected the rudder and isolated the extreme steering stiffness to the pedestal. Feels like the brake is on and there is a squeaky sound from the top of the pedestal when I turn the wheel. Perhaps bearings as the boat has been unused for the past four months?

Thanks
Ian
Namoian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 16:54   #3

Boat: Sabre 402

We had a friend who had a problem with a rudder that wouldn’t move. Made him miss a planned departure date and messed up his entire cruise. Turned out he had his hydraulic autopilot on, set for straight ahead. Either of you two have autopilots?
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 18:11   #4

Boat: Delphia 37

Mine was a case of the most obvious solution was it - the brake was on... the center hub that spins on and off (the first part you’d remove if you were removing the steering wheel) has a pin that is threaded onto it - this pin more or less is the break and the pin is suposta stay threaded into the center hub when you remove the center hub. In my case it didn’t and I never knew is was suposta.

Get the pi out (vice scrips or pliers come out pretty easy) then use the strongest thread lock and screw the pin into the hub.
marty9876 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dock