Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-11-2018, 15:54   #1

Boat: Schionning Waterline 1480
Jib feeder size problems

I'm calling this a jib feeder ?

This one measures 6.1mm at the exit point on both canals.

It came with the boat and fits the stay nicely, it looks used, but my jib cord doesn't fit. Close but it's too tight to pull through, 1/4" (6.35mm) would probably be a closer fit.

Before I open this one out, how close a fit should it be or am I doing something wrong.

The advice from the chandelier was to pull the cord out of the sail and run a smaller diameter cord through, sounds pretty sketchy and I won't be doing that.

P. Ś-.
Does it matter which runner I choose to run the jib up. Port or starboard?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20181108_090849.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	367.0 KB
ID:	180310  
Old 07-11-2018, 15:57   #2

Re: Jib feeder size problems

Should be able to use both doesn’t matter which one there only both used when you put two jibs up for down wind sailing
suzyque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 17:05   #3

I got a luff rope feeder with my furler too, to be honest I've never even tried using it. I guess it could be useful if you're trying to put a sail on in strong wind single handed, but I've never had a problem getting ours on.

If the rope fits the furler, I sure as wouldn't be changing it for a smaller one!

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 17:39   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzyque View Post
Should be able to use both doesn’t matter which one there only both used when you put two jibs up for down wind sailing
Thanks, I'm not likely to put two jibs up. I seem to come home into the wind mostly and mostly on a port tack so I will feed it on the starboard runner. might make a difference ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
I got a luff rope feeder with my furler too, to be honest I've never even tried using it. I guess it could be useful if you're trying to put a sail on in strong wind single handed, but I've never had a problem getting ours on.

If the rope fits the furler, I sure as wouldn't be changing it for a smaller one!
Thanks, I'll give it a try.
Old 07-11-2018, 19:25   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

I have a hell of a time feeding the #6 luff bead into my ProFurl furler. Very hard to get it to make the transition from the grooved SS feeder into the extrusion. Once past the junction have to use the winch all the way up hoisting the sail. It's the same with two different sails from two different makers. First time I changed a sail was afraid sail wouldn't come down but was able to pull it down though there was resistance. Wouldn't want to have to change the sail with the wind blowing hard.

The sail om my other boat has a smaller diameter luff bead and feeds into the furler without any problems. Have managed to get the luff bead to pull out of the feed though haven't had an issue with it pulling out under sail.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 08:23   #6

Boat: Newport 28II, 28'

It shouldn’t matter which groove you use. If the luff rope doesn’t fit I suggest you talk to your sail maker about changing the luff rope or see what alternative he/she can suggest.
Over Budget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 08:52   #7

Boat: 36 custom schooner

Is this sail new to the boat?

You will not be able pry it open since it is a cast filling, and the i.d. should be the same as the i.d. of the furler extrusion.

Luff tape comes in three sizes, #5, #6 & #7 (mm). In my sail loft we often have to swap them out for the appropriate size if changing boats or furlers
Door Sail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 11:55   #8
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Alerion Express 38 Yawl (former)

There aren't many sizes of luff tape that I am familiar with. Virtually all sails that I've used on a variety of boats are #6. Apparently there are sizes from #4 to #8, but I am not sure how this correlates to metric or fractional dimensions.

The fitting you show appears to be investment cast SS, which would be very difficult to open up to a new internal diameter. I think you have an incompatibility which requires either a new luff tape on your sail or a new feeder. Without the feeder, does the sail fit in the furler?

Chuck
Chuck Hawley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 02:42   #9

Thanks all, problem solved. I honed the feeder channels out, works a treat.
Dave_S is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jib, size