Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-06-2018, 04:52   #1

Boat: Hunter 33
Jib Sheet Tension

Hello

This is my first sailboat and I have been out maybe 5-6 times now. I finally was out on a day with 15-20 knot winds and when close hauled I was getting a lot of flutter on the jib (luff) so I would tighten the sheet until it stops. I'm afraid I'm going to break something because I have to go like really tight (even on the low speed on the winch).

I do know how to adjust the cars so that's not my problem, I would just like to know if this is normal so I don't end up breaking something

I'm self-taught from youtube
RobD527 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 04:56   #2
cruiser

Re: Jib Sheet Tension

You need to either adjust the car placement for the jib sheet or tighten the leech line if your sail has one, or possibly both. The leech line is a thin line which runs down the trailing edge of the sail. First try moving the car a few notches closer to the bow along the jib car rail.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 05:04   #3

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Just to clarify: what part of the sail was luffing? Was it just fluttering along the leech? Or was the whole sail luffing?

If the entire sail, or much if it, is luffing:

Assuming its properly trimmed for close hauled then you may be "pinching" (pointed just a few degrees too high). This is quite easy to do, especially if less experienced. Try falling off just a few degrees and see if the luffing stops.

If just the leech is luffing:

When you have the jib sheet very tight, how does the foot of the jib look? Is it very tight and flat? If so, then car needs to move forward.

The leech line is just intended for minor adjustments, not to eliminate a lot of loose leech.

What is the age/condition of the jib? If its just old and stretched out, a little nip & tuck by a sailmaker may help.

I suggest try moving the jib cars forward and seeing if that properly tensions the leech.

Re sheet tension: yes it is common to have the sheets quite tight when close hauled in a good breeze. Only experience, or a load cell, will tell you what is too tight.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 05:07   #4

Boat: Bristol 27

Doubtful you will break anything ……… but as was mentioned earlier, it's probably the cars …… maybe too far forward where you can only tighten part of the sail. (or too far back)

You need to experiment

Then again (as far as breaking something) my jib head strap ripped off my sail two weeks ago and the sail slowly came down. I was 20 miles from home and didn't want to motor the 20 miles back with my 5 hp outboard or use my storm jib. (I wasn't cranking on a winch though when this happened)

Getting the halyard and furler head swivel down from the top of the mast wasn't much fun with the wind and waves. After I did get it down, I tied what was left of the head strap to the swivel shackle, taped the knot, and raised the jib back up. Hopefully that will hold for a while since there was no time to get it properly repaired before I sail this weekend
thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 05:44   #5
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

As others have mentioned, lead location and leach lines play a part.

However, in 15-20 knots true, the sheet will be TIGHT, probably well over 1000 pounds. I measured the tension on my PDQ 32 at 1600 pounds. In principle, the winch, sheet, and leads should be able to easily handle anything you can do with one hand.

The remaining option is to reef. You are probably at that point.
Old 08-06-2018, 05:46   #6

The Jib is brand new
Leech is luffing, Foot is tight, cars all the way forward
I was able to get it to stop luffing just afraid to go too tight
I have not tried the leech line
Old 08-06-2018, 05:51   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
As others have mentioned, lead location and leach lines play a part.

However, in 15-20 knots true, the sheet will be TIGHT, probably well over 1000 pounds. I measured the tension on my PDQ 32 at 1600 pounds. In principle, the winch, sheet, and leads should be able to easily handle anything you can do with one hand.

The remaining option is to reef. You are probably at that point.
I would say I was about as tight as I could go with one hand to get the luffing to stop so that's pretty much the answer I was looking for Thank You
Old 08-06-2018, 05:53   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
You need to either adjust the car placement for the jib sheet or tighten the leech line if your sail has one, or possibly both. The leech line is a thin line which runs down the trailing edge of the sail. First try moving the car a few notches closer to the bow along the jib car rail.
I will try this leech line next time out Thank You
Old 08-06-2018, 06:20   #9

If the foot is tight, and the leech is loose enough to flutter, that suggests that the lead car is not far enough forward. I know you said it was as far forward as in can go, and it is a new sail.

Is it possible the sail is smaller than the boat was designed for?
If it is a new sail, your sailmaker should help with these questions.
The sailmaker should be be more helpful than another YouTube video.
billknny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 06:58   #10

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobD527 View Post
The Jib is brand new
Leech is luffing, Foot is tight, cars all the way forward
I was able to get it to stop luffing just afraid to go too tight
I have not tried the leech line
If you got it to stop luffing without herculean effort than it should be about right. Close hauld trim is normally very tight.

Dont over use the leech line, its just a minor tweaker, not for primary trim. If the luff starts to bunch up and cup toward the windward side of sail then you are overusing it.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 07:28   #11
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by billknny View Post
If the foot is tight, and the leech is loose enough to flutter, that suggests that the lead car is not far enough forward. I know you said it was as far forward as in can go, and it is a new sail.

Is it possible the sail is smaller than the boat was designed for?
If it is a new sail, your sailmaker should help with these questions.
The sailmaker should be be more helpful than another YouTube video.

This too.

Sometimes it is beneficial to rig a temporary line to deflect the lead farther forward-in-out to diagnose the problem.
Old 08-06-2018, 07:54   #12

Quote:
I would say I was about as tight as I could go with one hand to get the luffing to stop so that's pretty much the answer I was looking for Thank You
You should still be able to get the jib to stop fluttering in just 15-20 knots of wind. I was sailing in winds like that two weeks ago in large waves and my 130 jib was tight. No flutter. (tied to head swivel by one strap)

Since it is your first sailboat it's time to try a few things before calling it quits, and usually the one with the most info is the guy on the spot

Just check to see which part of the sail is fluttering and tighten it in such a way as to fix.......

This unless the sail is way old or recently made incorrectly.... or your rig moved/is way out of tune. If it's the rig, re-tune and continue

Even in buoy racing, they don't call most races until you have steady 21 knot winds for 5 minutes are so (as I remember) and you definitely will not see any fluttering jibs on a racing sailboat in those winds
Old 08-06-2018, 08:28   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
You should still be able to get the jib to stop fluttering in just 15-20 knots of wind. I was sailing in winds like that two weeks ago in large waves and my 130 jib was tight. No flutter. (tied to head swivel by one strap)

Since it is your first sailboat it's time to try a few things before calling it quits, and usually the one with the most info is the guy on the spot

Just check to see which part of the sail is fluttering and tighten it in such a way as to fix.......

This unless the sail is way old or recently made incorrectly.... or your rig moved/is way out of tune. If it's the rig, re-tune and continue

Even in buoy racing, they don't call most races until you have steady 21 knot winds for 5 minutes are so (as I remember) and you definitely will not see any fluttering jibs on a racing sailboat in those winds
I can stop flutter easily I just didnt know how tight you can go

Definitely not calling it quits having way too much fun
Old 08-06-2018, 08:42   #14

Quote:
I can stop flutter easily I just didnt know how tight you can go

Definitely not calling it quits having way too much fun
Awesome!

I'd still check your rig's tuning/tightness

Does the jib do this on both tacks?
Old 08-06-2018, 14:38   #15

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

If the sail is designed for the boat, usually the sheet fairleads should NOT be all the way forward when hard on the wind. One usually needs to move them forward as one falls off, not the reverse.

Jim

Tags
jib