Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-09-2018, 14:25   #1

Boat: Whitby, Alberg 30
Jib Tell Tales at Night

I have become dependent on my jib tell tales for trimming and steering my boat (an Alberg 30). I always sail singlehanded and because of the heat I am sailing more often at night. I am not sailing a compass course, just sailing around on a large lake with rarely any other boats around. Shinning a light on the jib doesn’t help so how do others trim their sails in the dark?
swordds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2018, 14:40   #2

Boat: Hylas 49
Re: Jib Tell Tales at Night

I use a bike headlight mounted on the rail
TheOffice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2018, 15:02   #3
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by swordds View Post
I have become dependent on my jib tell tales for trimming and steering my boat (an Alberg 30). I always sail singlehanded and because of the heat I am sailing more often at night. I am not sailing a compass course, just sailing around on a large lake with rarely any other boats around. Shinning a light on the jib doesn’t help so how do others trim their sails in the dark?
What follows is written in a friendly tone of voice, and with the sole intent to help you and others.

How does one trim sails in the dark?

I do it by:
  • observing the wind direction (on my face or on a wind indicator instrument or tell tale),
  • by looking at telltales on the sails and on the shrouds,
  • by sound (Do you hear luffing?),
  • by feel (e.g. increased or decreased heel of boat, increased or decreased weather helm),
  • by noticing boat speed (if you have a GPS or speedo),
  • by sound (listening to the water go by faster or slower, more noise or less), and
  • by boat action on the surface and in waves (more headway) etc.
That is what I do.

A friendly question:

You wrote up above that “shining a light on the jib doesn’t help.” Why not? Please describe what you mean. Perhaps someone can help you look at it differently with some tips.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2018, 15:15   #4

Boat: Sail any boats from 28 to 60 ft

Use fluorescent green and orange tell tales, just use a tiny flash lght is all you need. You don't lose your night vision either.
rockDAWG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2018, 15:22   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore
Jib Tell Tales at Night

I always have a GOOD headlight stuck in my pocket as well as a bright LED flashlight. For the amount of time I need to see the telltales, the bright light does not significantly impact my night vision.

This is the same problem is single handing or on watch with a larger crew.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2018, 16:03   #6

Boat: Outbound 44

Headlamp with a bright red beam works ok.
Old 17-09-2018, 16:09   #7

Boat: Mahe 36

Used to race a half tonner that had a red spotlight recessed into the foredeck, worked great!
cuffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2018, 17:29   #8

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Ive always used a headlamp with a narrowly focused beam. Too bright or too wide angle doesnt work as well. Red light saves your night vision if you can see the telltales with it.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2018, 18:00   #9

Boat: Hunter 31 (83-87)

Used to sail night races on lake pontchartrain and used clamp on low flashlight on stanchions aimed at tell tale window. Had one on each side for tacking. Worked great. I now use bike handlebar mounts with small LED lights for sailing in Galv bay and offshore
jmce1587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2018, 18:17   #10

Boat: Seafarer36c

With all the dodger, bimini and side curtains most cruising boats have, I doubt anybody can see the jib, or the main sail.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2018, 21:41   #11

Thanks for all the input. Tonight I lashed a red headlamp to the mast aimed at one set of jib tell tales. It worked great. Very convenient, didn’t have to turn anything on or off or aim a light. When I wanted to glance at the tell tale all I had to do was look at the red spot on the jib and the spot was dim enough not to be a distraction or to interfere with seeing at night.
Old 17-09-2018, 22:59   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Check these out: Luminous Tell Tale Patches - Glowfast Marine Pty Ltd
I use this company's glow-in-dark labels on my line clutches and they work quite well.
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Paul Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2018, 04:41   #13
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

Quote:
Originally Posted by swordds View Post
Thanks for all the input. Tonight I lashed a red headlamp to the mast aimed at one set of jib tell tales. It worked great. Very convenient, didn’t have to turn anything on or off or aim a light. When I wanted to glance at the tell tale all I had to do was look at the red spot on the jib and the spot was dim enough not to be a distraction or to interfere with seeing at night.
This is not a great idea. Since the RED headlight will shine over the starboard rail, this could confuse vessels approaching from that side.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2018, 05:41   #14

I have looked for the Luminous Tell Tale patches and they seem to be always “out of stock” so either they are very popular or are no longer available? Has anyone ever actually used these and/or know of an available source? There also once was a product called Lite-Tales but they seem to be out of business. Is anyone familiar with these?
Old 18-09-2018, 10:12   #15

Get the reflector tape for life jackets (west marine package) and resize for the tell tale tip. stick to main leach tails as well.
works well with minimum reflection of light- often we use older flashlight batteries that are about dimmed out aimed at tel tails thereby reducing the night vision concerns.
boat driver is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jib