Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-06-2012, 22:13   #1

Jumping into the world of sailing!

Hello all! I've been reading a lot of the threads here but this is my first post.

Me and my girlfriend have been bitten by the sailing bug big-time. We live in San Francisco, and have completed a Basic Keelboat course at a local sailing club and are trying to plot our next steps. Ultimately we want to cruise tropical places for extended periods of time, but it's gonna take some life maneuvering to get to that point. Plus we need to like... learn to sail first.

We were planning to take a Basic Cruising course and maybe go on a group trip
down in the Sea of Cortez on an 82' schooner in January while we work up the skills, the nerve, and the savings to do it on our own. We're trying to figure out other steps we can take, but it's a big, expensive world out there and we're trying to be smart about it. Any advice on what we might try?

This forum is super inspiring btw.
Bunkerlynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 04:41   #2

Boat: Gemini 105Mc 34'
Re: Jumping into the world of sailing!

Welcome aboard! Take all the opportunities you can. In the end, cruising around on your own boat might end up being cheaper than living in San Francisco!
Waterway Guide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 10:58   #3

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Aloha and welcome aboard!

Good to have you here.

Gain as much experience as you can by sailing in the Bay on other people's boats. If you can sail well in SF Bay you can sail anywhere. Introduce yourself around the clubs as people wanting to crew. You'll be sure to find someone who will take you aboard. Don't just sail on one boat though. You'll want to see how the many different boats perform and what boat might fit your needs in cruising. Do a lot of reading. The libraries are full of books on sailing.

And, last but not least, go as soon as you can.

These are just my opinions and others will give you theirs.

kind regards,
Old 08-06-2012, 11:57   #4

Thank you! Sounds like good advice all around.
Old 08-06-2012, 12:05   #5

Boat: Cruisers Yachts 420 Express
Send a message via ICQ to jeremiason Send a message via Yahoo to jeremiason Send a message via Skype™ to jeremiason

You can get a lot of expierence sailing on San Francisco Bay!

Try hooking up with the various Yacht Clubs and get on as crew in the Beer Can Races... There is a race almost every day in the summer...

In the East Bay, I recommend, Berkeley Richmond, Encinal and Oakland Yacht Clubs... Their members are friendly and new crew is always welcome.

It sounds like you are taking lessons through a US Sailing Club, so I'll assume you are either at OCSC or Club Nautique... Take as many classes as you can afford, but experience is the best teacher. Both of them have charter fleets and crew lists so you can split expenses with other members. They also organize charters to fair away places and it would be worth going along to see if this life is for you...

Lori and I left San Francisco in Sept. 2010 and have not looked back. There is a big world out there and with a little perseverance you can do it to....

Good luck!

jeremiason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 13:40   #6

You have received good advice here.

The trip on the 82' schooner sounds like a nice vacation, but I would be surprised if you actually learned much about sailing on that trip.. I would look into something like a crewed charter in the Caribbean instead. Maybe there is a private boat somewhere that comes recommended with a good captain for teaching, as opposed to one of the big charter outfits.. Another good area for that is the San Juan Islands north of Seattle.

In any case, welcome!
speedoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 22:34   #7

Thanks everyone for the advice! Good stuff!
Old 12-06-2012, 22:47   #8

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

Sounds like a plan. Good you're not planning/thinking of an around-the-world cruise in the immediate future like some on this site.

Yes, sail the bay, then go to Half Moon, the Farallones, and Drakes Bay on your own for a taste.

markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2012, 05:49   #9

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

While an 82 footer is nice for at holiday, I doubt if you will learn much on it. Check out your sailing club - put up a notice saying you are looking for some experience. Lots of people out there looking for someone to help crew. eG a good skipper and you'll learn to sail pronto
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sailing