Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-07-2020, 07:34   #1

Boat: Alberg 30
Question Jury rigging a hank-on over a broken roller furled jib

I have an old hank-on storm jib and working jib with snap shackles. An old Boy Scout, "Be Prepared" still my motto. If the roller gennie is kaput, shredded, or jammed, and rolled on the forestay, what is the best method to run up a traditional jib? Perhaps loops of light line with parrel beads run around the furled gennie and clipped into each snap shackle, hoisted aloft with the spinnaker halyard? Very interested to know best practical solution. What has worked for you? What hasn't worked for you?

Also, in a bad blow, even if gennie is ok, the cloth is not as heavy as my storm jib, and partially furled would not be as flat. So this seems important in the situation too.

Comments, reports of personal experience, guidance, would be greatly appreciated. I have an Alberg 30 (1970) and am refitting for coastal and maybe blue water cruising and passages. Thanks in advance!!
RichardPresley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2020, 07:38   #2

Boat: a sailing boat
Re: Jury rigging a hank-on over a broken roller furled jib

Remove the roller.

Hank on the jib.

etc.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2020, 07:46   #3

I have no idea how to do that, especially at sea . . . I didn't even know it was possible without removing the forestay. Do you know where I can find out more about how removing a roller furler and gennie is done?
Old 18-07-2020, 08:47   #4

I'm embarrassed! I had no idea removing it was so easy. Duh!
Old 18-07-2020, 10:05   #5

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Remove the roller.

Hank on the jib.

etc.

b.

Really, seems a bit simplistic of an explanation, when in fact it would be somewhat difficult/almost impossible to remove the roller and foil (over the forestay) in open water.

A removable staysl is always a good option for an emergency or storm situation.
If you have a spare halyard and room at the stem fitting to use the halyard as a emergency stay, you could hank on the sail to possibly get you hope when the conditions were a little lighter.
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2020, 15:09   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill O View Post
Really, seems a bit simplistic of an explanation, when in fact it would be somewhat difficult/almost impossible to remove the roller and foil (over the forestay) in open water.

A removable staysl is always a good option for an emergency or storm situation.
If you have a spare halyard and room at the stem fitting to use the halyard as a emergency stay, you could hank on the sail to possibly get you hope when the conditions were a little lighter.

Probably because I am one those simpletons who have sailed some open water and traveled up and down the mast when necessary (and at least once ... when the genoa furler jammed), in rain and 40kts squalls). What else to do, other then end up on the rocks to the lee.

Then again, upon reading your post, I recall now not all foils can be removed without cutting the stay, so here I admit, with these one can't.

Perhaps a good excuse to have a clip-on inner stay, as we do.

Apologies for unintended confusion caused!

Cheers,
b.
Old 18-07-2020, 15:24   #7
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
... I recall now not all foils can be removed without cutting the stay....
Virtually none.

----

One of the rules of furlers is that you maintain them. If the bearings feel sketchy, you replace them now, not later. If they become sketchy during a cruise (I've had that happen) you use the furler as a foil--no jamming.

If the sail is half out and it jams you are pretty well screwed. Nothing will hoist over it. A knife and some scary climbing. Or tame it best you can and try to unwind it. Hope it's not blowing too hard.

If you can unfurl and then pull the sail down, you still have a foil. Yeah, I suppose you could make parrels from line and hoist. Realistically, you will wait for better weather. Perhaps you can beat with just the main. Perhaps you have other off the wind sails.

But maintain the furler. Don't wait.
Old 18-07-2020, 15:25   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Barn,

A good man is willing to say “Ooopsies” when necessary.

Good on you.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2020, 15:29   #9

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Richard, you do not want to disconnect the furler in a seaway, it will flail about, and do damage, to you, and to whatever it strikes (we have a partially straightened stanchion from when our staysail furler got loose.) It is a real bear to lasso it, and get it secured.

You're going to need a spare genoa halyard and a spinnaker halyard. I would leave the furled genny in place with it's halyard, and use the spinnaker halyard to fly the storm jib off. Make sure you've lubed the hanks before you put it aboard. Set the sail on the side you prefer. It will have a lot of sag, (polyester double braid stretches more than wire) so you won't be pointing high with it, but it would help stabilize the boat, and it would allow you to heave to and wait for the worst of the wind/sea state to improve. Also, it would be roughly easy to accomplish.

You'd heave to first, under reefed main alone, on the right tack for which side you want to raise the sail, and then, when the motion is more predictable, set the halyard to the stem head fitting, tension it, and shackle the tack of the sail down, and then put the hanks on,
get the spare head sail halyard and put it on the sail, and hoist.

Basically, you heave to on the offshore tack.

Ann
Old 18-07-2020, 15:34   #10
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardPresley View Post
I have an old hank-on storm jib and working jib with snap shackles. An old Boy Scout, "Be Prepared" still my motto. If the roller gennie is kaput, shredded, or jammed, and rolled on the forestay, what is the best method to run up a traditional jib? Perhaps loops of light line with parrel beads run around the furled gennie and clipped into each snap shackle, hoisted aloft with the spinnaker halyard? Very interested to know best practical solution. What has worked for you? What hasn't worked for you?

Also, in a bad blow, even if gennie is ok, the cloth is not as heavy as my storm jib, and partially furled would not be as flat. So this seems important in the situation too.

Comments, reports of personal experience, guidance, would be greatly appreciated. I have an Alberg 30 (1970) and am refitting for coastal and maybe blue water cruising and passages. Thanks in advance!!

I doubt anyone has personal experience in this.

If it was me, I would make one soft-shackle for each fitting on the hank-on. “In theory” you put each soft-shackle around the outside of the foil. If you use thing dyneema is “should” slide up.

This is a best guess. Try it at the dock before leaving.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2020, 15:45   #11

Boat: 38 roberts ketch

I put a second forestay on my boat because I dont fully trust roller furlers at sea - simply drilled a hole about a foot behind the roller stay in the s/s base plate of the nose fitting and bolted in a 'o' bolt , had a s/s wire made up and climbed the mast to fit it to an existing junction up there and use a quick release shackle to connect it at the base. Its become my main foresail fitting because i like the controllability of the smaller hanked jib. The roller furled genoa hasnt actually come above deck for a couple of years now.
I also put it in because i like the security of 2 headstays, as well as the ability to run twin foresails.
charliehows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2020, 17:15   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post

Virtually none.

----
Virtually none, but actually at least one.

Plastimo.

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/i...jSx-w&usqp=CAU

And if you look at all the units at the dock you will discover at least one more brand.

b.
Old 18-07-2020, 19:54   #13

Boat: Colvin, Saugeen Witch (Aluminum), 34'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snore View Post
I doubt anyone has personal experience in this.

If it was me, I would make one soft-shackle for each fitting on the hank-on. “In theory” you put each soft-shackle around the outside of the foil. If you use thing dyneema is “should” slide up.

This is a best guess. Try it at the dock before leaving.
I use "one soft-shackle for each fitting" for my try-sail. Works great. Does not hang up on the mast at all. The trick is to make the shackles (I call them robands) very long so as to not bind during raising and lowering.

I know little of these furling head sail "foils", but assuming they are made of a smooth material, the technique would work well.

The big question is weather the soft shackles would "slide" up and down a furled sail. It would probably work fine in benign conditions. Big wind might "dig" the robands into the sail material and become stuck.

Like most of these heavy weather strategies, there is only one way to fine out if they REALLY work: Try it!

Panope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2020, 20:33   #14
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panope View Post
... Like most of these heavy weather strategies, there is only one way to fine out if they REALLY work: Try it!

That's it. Anchoring, drogues, jury rigs.... Go out and try it in a breeze and then a near gale. Work it out.

The only thing I can imagine might hoist over a furled sail is a Gale Sail, but even then it can be challenging and the furl must be smooth.
Old 19-07-2020, 08:43   #15

Look on Google for RAKBAND EN KLOTEN.
That might give you an idea

Just pull the luff as hard as possible.
Because the run from one eye to the one under, getting the sail up or down is more easy because you get slack as soon as the halyard gives slack

When the whole furler gets stuck half way furling the sail there is a way to furl
No fun, not easy with a lot of wind or in a heavy sea way. And big chance you loose or damage the sail anyway but less hance of personal harm

Everybody behind the mast, take as much sail down as possible and motor upwind and let the sheets fly or better, cut them.Keep turning in the same direction in tight circles.
If the roller got stuck after only a few turns. Do it the other way and take the sail down as soon as it is out.
TAKE VERY GOOD CARE OF THE FLAPPING SAIIL Being hit. By the clew can cause much damage
jakkum is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jib, rigging