Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-03-2012, 08:31   #31

Boat: 40' Jeanneau
Re: Just Bought a Tayana 37 ! Now What ?

Why in the world are you getting rid of that furling main? Use it a year or two. You'll probably love it!

You're getting plenty of opinions. Here's another! I am more in the "sail it" camp than the "trace and repair every bloody potential wiring glitch right now" camp. Most places in the world, there are many months- or even years- of wonderful cruising close at hand without undertaking any long, blue-water voyages. You can have lots and lots of fun within easy reach of land (and potential help). As you do that, you will gradually find most of the things that need attention and have plenty of time to fix them. Then you can have a seaworthy, familiar boat and a good bit of experience under your belt before you strike out on longer trips.

Massive refit projects in a boat yard are generally miserable and will sap a spouse's (and your) enthusiasm very, very quickly. Get the boat in minimal sailing shape (or even motoring shape), get it in the water quickly, and use it!
Tia Bu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2012, 10:39   #32

Good advice. Fix the obvious "sinkers" though! Use the boat... you may find brand new things of a high priority to suck up your money... "get to know the boat"

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2012, 09:05   #33

Boat: Tayana 37

Congratulation on the new boat! We are also looking at Tayana's and I agree with most all the posts here. I think you need to do repairs that involve your safety and the safety of your crew. Make sure the water stays out, the rigging stays up, and you can steer the boat. From there I would go through the boat and all her systems so that your confortable with them and then go sailing. You'll get the feel for the boat and what's she's telling you. Make repairs if your going on any real off shore passages or upgrade them if you feel it's necessary or unsafe. I'm not a big fan of replacing alot of the electronics on these boats. For hundreds of years people have navigated and sailed the oceans without all the modern equipment we have now and this still can be done today. It's nice to have radar, AIS, SSB, depth, wind speed and direction, but if it's in the boat and just old and works perfectly fine I would not replace it until needed. Just my .02. Have fun sailing!
ddsailor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2012, 15:40   #34

Boat: Grampian 26

Inspect thru hulls and respective connections, good PFD's, and required safety equipment. Invest in a good picnic basket ( one that holds wine or other spirits) Then go for a sail, add equipment and or electronics as you learn the boat and your habits, maybe solar is needed, second house battery, just sail and the boat will tell and show you what is needed

Tags
tayana 37