Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-12-2014, 10:34   #1

Boat: Westsail 32', 205' Barque
Kemah - Doing one's own work

Are there any yards or marinas that allow a person to do their own work while the boat is on the hard? I think most don't allow it for insurance reasons, but I'm asking around anyway.
rb1685 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2014, 10:44   #2

Boat: Grand Soleill 41 - Gali
Re: Kemah - Doing one's own work

Different yards have different rules, some allow it some don't, some allow certain types of work but not others. It all depends on the operator. The insurance excuse is just a run around they give you if they want to do the work themselves.
Your best bet is exactly what you are doing, ask around and get inputs from members of this forum.

May the good winds always be with you
Old 22-12-2014, 12:55   #3
RTB

Boat: Hunter 36

I'm not sure about Kemah. Check with South Texas Yacht Services and Seabrook Shipyard.

Home
Seabrook Marina -

Pier 77 in Galveston allows you to DIY - Pier 77 Marine Service: The Most Comprehensive Boatyard on Galveston Bay

A lot of people move the boat to Rockport and haul at Hooking Bull Boatyard - Home

Ralph
RTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2014, 13:19   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

How about the Freeport docks?
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2014, 17:58   #5

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by rb1685 View Post
Are there any yards or marinas that allow a person to do their own work while the boat is on the hard? I think most don't allow it for insurance reasons, but I'm asking around anyway.
Yes, there are some such yards.
Old 22-12-2014, 18:08   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

On the Great Lakes. We all do our own work. Yard staff is too thin to get anything done for 500 boats launched seasonally. We are all pretty considerate about messes, clean-up, tarps, dust, noise after dark. Good way to meet your neighbors. I hire the big stuff. Torresen's, Muskegon, Michigan.

Better to (keep a low profile) & ask forgiveness than permission?

Last spring, one of my yard mates welded new plate on the bottom of his steel cruiser. Others have done peel jobs etc.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2014, 08:13   #7

Seabrook won't let you work there...sorry first hand knowledge. Hillman's used to byt mast must be less than 43 (?) to get under the bridge.
rbrentp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2014, 07:42   #8

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by levm View Post
............ The insurance excuse is just a run around they give you if they want to do the work themselves............
I think there's a genuine concern that you will be hurt or will damage a nearby boat and there could be a lawsuit.

Another concern is EPA compliance. Dealing with hazardous materials, sanding or scraping of bottom paint, etc. The EPA is going to hold the marina responsible if you don't follow the rules and the EPA doesn't mind fining someone a couple million dollars.

A marina has little to gain and a lot to lose by letting people it doesn't have control over work on boats on their property.
Old 24-12-2014, 09:18   #9

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

I did my own work (exception of sanding) at clear lake marine center.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2014, 10:25   #10

Boat: Cal 31, 31.5'

We are at a great live-aboard, do-it-yourself (DIY) yard right now in Demopolis, Al on the Tenn-Tom waterway. We just completed our own bottom job and there are quite a few of DIY'ers doing all sorts of work. There are also several good DIY yards in Florida that we use.

I totally agree that compliance with environmental regulations and protection of people and personal property are very important. I also know from personal experience that these can be readily accomplished with some study, using the right equipment, a little oversight/advice by the yard and good housekeeping. If you are on a tight budget you can save a lot of money and achieve a first class job while not doing harm to someone else.

The insurance and compliance issues often arise because someone, sometimes even yard staff, didn't do the job right and things went wrong. Unfortunately, some yards conclude that the only answer is to overly restrict or outlaw certain activities instead of providing better training, equipment, oversight and advice. Sometimes the yard takes the easy way out and places the blame on the insurance company; and sometimes it really is the insurance company that tells the yard to cease certain "high risk" activities.

There is usually a simple, fixable reason for problems at boat yards. For example, I really applaud those yards who rent good equipment, like vacuum sanding units, at a reasonable price so that the DIY'er has a fighting chance at doing a clean, safe, competent job. If everyone makes an honest effort, DIY yards can continue to safely operate while allowing the boater to undertake a wide range of DIY work.
Cal31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2014, 20:19   #11

Boat: Marine Trader, Sun Deck 38'

People are working on their boats everywhere you look at Riverside Marina, Fort Pierce Florida
sailcay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kemah