Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-09-2017, 10:13   #1

Boat: Island Packet 32
Kentucky Lake ???

We're looking at Kentucky Lake as a possible retirement area. And I've got a couple of questions.

I note that there is a sailboat-friendly marina (Lighthouse Landing) at the extreme north end of the lake, but there doesn't seem to be any other facility with a travel lift and open slips for sailboats - at least I haven't found it. Does anyone know of other marinas that accommodate 32' -35' sailboats?

I also notice two bridges across Kentucky lake. US Highway 68 (between Aurora, KY and Land between the Lakes, KY) and US Highway 79 (between Dover, TN and Woodland Acres, TN). What is the vertical clearance of these? (My charts are on the boat and I won't be back to them for another 6 weeks.)

Any other comments about sailing on Kentucky Lake would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in Advance

PB
PlumBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 19:25   #2

Boat: Hunter 2003 356 - Persistence
Kentucky Lake ???

I am at Lighthouse Landing and it is primarily sailboat. All service now is contract and I don't know him much longer they will continue the travel-lift. There are two other marina's located close by for both power and sail. Kentucky Dam Marina is on the west side of Kentucky Lake just south of the dam and 2-1/2 miles from LHL. Green Turtle Bay has both power and sail and is in GrandRivers like Lighthouse Landing, but is on Barkley. It has service and a travel lift and you get to Kentucky Lake via the canal that connects the two lakes and is about a mile long.

The bridge on Highway 68 is called Eggner Ferry and is new and 62 feet clearance at summer pool of 359.0 . Winter pool is 355.0 and clearance is 66 feet. It 's a brand new bridge and still inaccurately shows the old 57.2 height at summer pool on Active Captain.

The bridge on Highway 79 called Paris Landing is 58 feet at summer pool, 62 feet at low water winter pool. There is another marina with some sailboats west and just north of this bridge called Paris Landing Marina. It is at a TN state resort. Sailing is excellent above Highway 68, ok from 68 to Paris Landing but gets limited pretty fast south of the Paris Landing area.

Most of the sailing is in the north part of the lake around Lighthouse Landing.

We are on the Great Loop and can go to Mobile via the Tenn-Tom waterway where bridges are 52 feet high at the low point at normal pool, but can vary during high rain and flooding periods, mostly in the spring. Those of us with taller masts just take them down, place on a cradle and put them back up in Mobile at Turner marine in Dog River.
J Clark H356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 07:54   #3

Boat: Island Packet 32
Re: Kentucky Lake ???

Fantastic info, THANKS.

Sounds like a car trip through there is the next appropriate step!

PB
PlumBob is offline   Reply With Quote