Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-12-2008, 08:51   #1

Boat: Lancer 28 - Semper Libra
Kevlar Foresail, Roller Furling..?

Hello..

I recently purchased a Lancer 28 which came with 5 hanked on foresails. We have installed roller furling and converted the working jib and 120% Genoa to roller furling, projects that went smoothly and successfully! But our BEST foresail performance-wise is a 110% hanked on Kevlar number that pulls the boat like a locomotive. It is a stiff, nasty sail to handle, cannot just be stuffed in a sailbag but must be carefully folded and stowed when not in use. The foredeck crew (my wife) hates it. I'm toying with the idea of removing the hanks and installing a luff-tape so it can be roller furled. (If our Sail-Rite machine can even sew this stuff). Does anyone know if a Kevlar sail will tolerate being roller furled and what sort of UV resistance does Kevlar material have? (will a sun-cover be needed). What I'm really asking is does anyone own or even seen a roller furled Kevlar sail?
Fair-Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 10:07   #2
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
this is a good question for your sailmaker

Although kevlar fabric works nicely with roller furlers, it may be the case that your hanked-on sail was cut fuller than most made-for-furler sails. In some cases adding a foam luff will help a fuller sail furl. Or it can always be recut, although that's not something you'd want to do with a molded sail. Either way, you'll definately want to add UV protection.
Bash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 10:30   #3

Boat: Lancer 28 - Semper Libra
Most of the time, this sail would be set at 100% of its area so performance / shape while reefed is really not an issue. A sewn-on UV cover is really not possible with our machine, but a zippered tube type cover, hoisted with a spare halyard, is..

I suspected the sail could be roller furled, after all it's now folded with some fairly sharp creases without any damage..Rolling it up on the foil wont bend it any more than it normally is...This sail delivers performance that makes converting it worth the effort..Thanks for the response..
Fair-Wind is offline   Reply With Quote