Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-10-2012, 18:44   #16

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Re: Key in or out

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikepmtl View Post
Well let me ask this, if I see a boat dragging, it gets some damage on a reef etc., I board it and get it off the reef and re-acnhor it. Could I be considered liable for the damage?

The only time I was in a similar situation, was during a major storm (50mph with gusts closer to 80mph). I could not believe the owners of a 50'+ cat left their boat unattended during the storm. The anchor broke loose and it was up on the rocks. I called the coast guard and they moved it to a sea wall and tied it up. I would have been way to worried to board it.
Probably a prudent call.

I've re-anchored a few boats that were just dragging (in a couple cases with the owners rushing back to assist), but I think if the boat were already in a potentially dangerous/liability situation I would leave it as is and call the appropriate authorities and/or wait for the owner.

Your actual potential legal liability probably varies considerably based upon local law (or lack thereof), but I would not want to be the guy at the helm with the boat on a reef (racking up big fines) when the officials showed up. In some venues the officials would almost certainly try to take advantage of this (better two "rich" gringos than one). Technicalities aside, no one wants to be a test case.

Also, I've seen a lot of boats damaged while being extracted from a grounding situation and the owner might just try and blame you for this damage.

Those with more opportunistic perspectives, might just try and turn this into a salvage situation.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 18:48   #17

I usually take the key out. If in an anchorage with lots of boats, usually a group of dingies will save your boat if it drags. Too easy for a local to get a free ride home and abandon the boat with the key in. If in the outback and only a couple boats around i might leave it in.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 18:49   #18

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikepmtl View Post
You guys do know that all Yanmar keys are the same right.
One key starts all.
Many automobile manufacturers only cycle through a limited sequence too. Had a friend accidentally drive off in someone else's car once using his keys!
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 18:51   #19
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by I be limin View Post
We are cruising down island this fall and I would like to get some feedback on leaving the key in the ignition while we are at anchor, I say yes in case we drag and some kind yachtsman comes to our rescue while we are away from the boat, the admiral says no as the boat can be stolen..........whats the consensus on this one.

I be limin

As far as I know, everyone with my Yanmar engine has the same key. You can just walk into Mastry and get a key. The proof I need for my car -- that could stop a lot of people, but not for my boat.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 19:02   #20

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

WOW! I thought that thing looked like a key. I'll have check to see if it comes out!

We've owned the Camper 58 for 6 years and the key is always in. I would be impressed to find a thief smart enough to figure out our hydraulics, adjustable pitch prop, windlass and various other quirks. What would anyone do with a stolen boat? Its kind of hard to hide it.

Wheel off usually. It take up too much space in the cockpit.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 04:44   #21
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, I be limin.

Key always in ignition, whether we’re aboard or not.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 22:44   #22

Boat: Bavaria 37 (2007)

Locks only keep out the honest thieves anyway
mausgras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 23:22   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

I take the key out threw the wheel in the ocean a while back.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 00:33   #24

Boat: Norseman 447

ONLY time I remove the ignition key is when I shut the eng thru hull and then it hangs on the handle til I open it again.

Had a friend next to us in an estuary in Ecuador that had returned from a road trip. A couple days later at 2:00 am they woke to a broken mooring line in a 5 kt ebbing tide! THEY COULDN'T FIND THE KEYS! By the time they woke us via VHF they were hard aground 3 miles away. Several dingys helped them get off but had to be towed back as we ALL were short on gas!

cheers, Greg
Old 03-10-2012, 02:55   #25

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

I have never dragged an anchor (knocking on wood) since I stopped chartering boats with crappy Bruces and CQR's, ten years ago or so.

Nevertheless, the memories haunt me, so I take precautions. One of them is to always leave the key in the ignition and the instruments switched on while at anchor. If the weather is calm and I've been anchored for several tide changes already, I might switch off the instruments, but the key stays in the ignition no matter what.

I rarely leave the boat at anchor with no one on anchor watch, but on the odd occasion I do, the key always stays in the ignition, and the battery switch on.

FWIW, that's what I do. It's a little paranoid, probably, but it's what I do.
Dockhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 04:37   #26
Cap

Boat: 1984 Witness 35 Catamaran

Interesting debate...Assuming one leaves the key in, I would also assume, if you have inboards, that you must leave the thru hulls open in case someone does jump on board to move, or steal, it. Doesn't that concern anyone when you're away from the boat?

Thanks...Jeff
Cap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 04:57   #27

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

key in, wheel on

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 06:02   #28

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap View Post
Interesting debate...Assuming one leaves the key in, I would also assume, if you have inboards, that you must leave the thru hulls open in case someone does jump on board to move, or steal, it. Doesn't that concern anyone when you're away from the boat?

Thanks...Jeff
I only close through hulls to exercise the valves, or in freezing weather, or when tied firmly to a dock and I'm to be away for a while.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 06:05   #29

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
I only close through hulls to exercise the valves, or in freezing weather, or when tied firmly to a dock and I'm to be away for a while.
+1

Obviously it's pointless to leave the key in the ignition for a possible fast getaway, if the cooling water">engine cooling water intake seacock is closed!

Mine are all open unless I am away from the boat overnight or longer, in which case they are all closed.
Dockhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 06:38   #30
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

at anchor, thruhull open, key in and instruments on, for radio use and windspeed and in case-----but in marina in hurrycame season i leave key in and thruhull closed and wheel is always in place---good footrest.....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote