Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-01-2022, 08:49   #196

Re: Killer whales launch ‘orchestrated’ attacks on sailing boats

"Get off my lawn"

Old 30-01-2022, 11:20   #197

Boat: Custom steel, 41' LOD

Has anyone on here ever been injured, or know anyone who has been injured or killed by an Orca in the wild? I don't think it has ever happened. Yes, every once in a while we hear of atypical behaviour by one orca or one pod - attacking boats for example - but actually attacking people? I've never heard of it outside an incident or two at SeaWorld - and I believe those were probably accidental: the whale just "playing" a little rough with a trainer.

I've lived and sailed on the BC coast all my life and have seen lots and lots of whales: some of them very, very close. Whales are intelligent, curious, playful, social animals. They often come to visit.

The picture below was taken (with just a cell phone) last summer when we were dead in the water waiting for slack tide to go through the Yulculta Rapids. We first saw the two humpbacks when they were about 500 metres away - then they swam right over and visited with us for about 30 minutes, playing around Scorpius, scratching themselves on the bottom, and blowing great masses of bubbles - apparently just for the fun of it and perfectly harmless.

In the 1960's I worked in the commercial fishing industry in Rivers Inlet on BC's Central Coast (recently renamed the Great Bear Rainforest by the treehuggers). I was near the head of the inlet one day when a pod of orcas came in to hunt the spring (chinook, king) salmon that came in there to head up the river to spawn. Now it was well known to sports and commercial fishers both that, when the orcas appear, the fish stop biting for a couple of days - so they weren't exactly welcome.

One of the sports fishers went out on the bow of his boat with what I think was a 30-06 while somebody else drove and chased the whales. Several shots were fired and it seems one hit a whale - and they all disappeared. INSTANTLY!

I got on the radio, said the whales were headed down and out of the inlet, and the next time somebody saw them, would they please give me a call (there were hundreds of boats gillnetting in the inlet). They were next seen twenty minutes later and ten miles away - meaning they did something like 30 knots getting away from the shooter.

They are incredible aninmals and not to be trifled with - but I've never heard of anyone being killed or injured by one in the wild - unlike the other way around!

(Ok. I'm trying to resize the picture to get to fit here but not having much luck. Ideas?)

Old 30-01-2022, 12:02   #198
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

I find this thread interesting. I've done several trips to the Vancouver Island area, always fitting in an orca watching trip, usually from the deck of a trawler.

I've seen several pods of orca's...those that are in the know....know several of the animals by the markings on their dorsal fin and have given them names.

On several occasions, the orca's were quite close, though the boat captain typically likes to keep some distance between boat and them. I've been told that orca's can sleep while swimming along. They generally always move in a "pod" or family.

Orca's also tend to localize a specific area so I'm told. Orca's noted on the east side of Vancouver Island tend to stay there, and Orca's on the west side, tend to stay on the that side and they don't mingle.

I've never once seen or heard even the least aggressive behavior from them.

The instances of the coast of Spain are mystifying. Perhaps some got hurt, maimed or killed in some or other boating mishap and are exacting retribution...but who knows....it's likely just one pod...not all Orca's...but that is a guess on my part.

They are unlikely to be " seeking out" a potential boat to ram, more a case of being in the wrong area at the wrong time....
Old 31-01-2022, 01:21   #199
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicHughV View Post
... On several occasions, the orca's were quite close, though the boat captain typically likes to keep some distance between boat and them. I've been told that orca's can sleep while swimming along. They generally always move in a "pod" or family ...
Indeed - they must.
Excerpted from “Watching marine wildlife” ~ Fisheries & Oceans Canada

Quote:
"Killer whales in B.C. and Pacific Ocean
Quote:
Keeping 200 metres away from killer whales in BC and the Pacific Ocean and keeping 400 metres away from all killer whales in southern BC coastal waters between Campbell River and just north of Ucluelet* (June 1 – May 31)
* Under the Canada Shipping Act. Some exceptions may apply.
Vessel operators will also be asked to turn off their echo sounders and turn engines to neutral idle, if safe to do so, when a whale is within 400 metres."
https://www.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/species-es...g.html#pacific

Old 31-01-2022, 07:13   #200

Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage

Another attack just reported on noonsite. (website not scrolling and don't do FB) so here is the quote. Seems the MRCC is recommending the motoring in reverse method of dissuasion and it appears to work.

January 25, 2022 at 9:00 PM
Orca Encounter Cascais, Portugal
https://www.facebook.com/groups/588408531341472/
From the Med Sailing FB page 21st January, 2022:
We have just taken an Orca attack about 3 miles west of Cascais. Be aware they are currently here.
We have rudder damage and are heading back to Cascais port. The attack lasted around 30 minutes. We shut off the engine and electronics but were advised my the MRCC to put the engine on and use reverse. It seemed to have worked. I counted 4 orcas and we are a Dufour 56 on engine at the time of the attack.

Old 31-01-2022, 09:24   #201

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tupaia View Post
Another attack just reported on noonsite. (website not scrolling and don't do FB) so here is the quote. Seems the MRCC is recommending the motoring in reverse method of dissuasion and it appears to work.

January 25, 2022 at 9:00 PM
Orca Encounter Cascais, Portugal
https://www.facebook.com/groups/588408531341472/
From the Med Sailing FB page 21st January, 2022:
We have just taken an Orca attack about 3 miles west of Cascais. Be aware they are currently here.
We have rudder damage and are heading back to Cascais port. The attack lasted around 30 minutes. We shut off the engine and electronics but were advised my the MRCC to put the engine on and use reverse. It seemed to have worked. I counted 4 orcas and we are a Dufour 56 on engine at the time of the attack.

Of all the orcas in the world we have this one pod with this aberrant behaviour. Interesting!
Old 03-02-2022, 04:33   #202
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Orca have started eating fish caught on hooks, treating fishing lines like a buffet. [1]
Researchers, led by Morgane Amelot, from Australia's Deakin University, tracked the feeding behavior of two groups of orca, around the Crozet Islands, in the southern Indian Ocean, between 2003 to 2018, to observe the number of individuals using fishing boats to feed.
Over the study period, the number of individual orca snatching fish off hooks had significantly increased, in both groups, from 34 to 94, and from 19 to 43.
Concluding, the team said the study shows how quickly orca can respond to new food sources, and how humans are influencing the diets of these top predators.

[1] “Increasing numbers of killer whale individuals use fisheries as feeding opportunities within subantarctic populations” ~ by Morgane Amelot et al
Quote:
”... In summary, the findings highlight the relatively short time it takes for KW within populations to respond to new feeding opportunities and show how anthropogenic subsidies can rapidly, yet progressively, become prevalent food sources for such top-predators. This study is illustrative of how human activities, by altering the availability of resources in ecosystems, may lead to new behaviours spreading across individuals of species capable of innovating in response to changes in their environment. ...”
[1] https://royalsocietypublishing.org/d...rsbl.2021.0328

Old 03-02-2022, 07:48   #203

Humans are undeniably the "apex predator" both on land and at sea. The most dangerous and wantonly destructive of all living creatures as a group. Beneath us in the oceans the orca could be considered to be at the top of the food chain. Preying even on great white sharks and blue whales among other things, they fear only one thing. Man. Highly intelligent, I suspect they know that if you get in conflict with humans you ultimately lose. It is necessary to coexist with us, and maintaining "friendly" seeming relations is the best way...... they aren't stupid with the apparent exception of one group lead by some misguided individuals. They would not be attacking boats if there were consequences. A parallel on land would be the American mountain lion. In California they eat joggers.... they are protected and not hunted. In the Rockies where they are hunted with dogs, they fear and avoid humans. I was stalked by a lion one afternoon in early winter when hiking in the Crazy Mountains of Montana. Far from any human habitation, acting as a caretaker in a remote guest ranch, I was hiking up a trail in about 2" of fresh snow. The hair on the back of my neck stood up.....for no apparent reason. I couldn't hear or see anything of the lion, but instinct told me I was being stalked or trailed, and that it was a lion. Rounding a switchback about that time, with a large rock blocking view from behind, I spun around and charged straight down my tracks at a dead run surprising the lion and scaring it off the trail........ Was it hunting me? or was it just curious? I suspect the latter...... I was of course unarmed.... I never carry a weapon unless I'm hunting. I saw enough of the lion to I believe recognize it.... a female with cubs that I'd seen on the grounds a few times...... though the cubs were not with her. I don't believe she was actually "stalking" me....just curious about this strange solitary man hiking up a mountainside at about 8000 feet in December for no apparent reason. I never feared any wild animal in those mountains, and often hiked solo at all seasons. They learn with few exceptions to leave humans alone...Even grizzlies with a very few exceptions.
The intelligence of the predator is key... The intelligence of creatures like orcas is high and broad. They have social structures similar to ours, and their intelligence is not entirely focused on hunting. They are curious and observant, and capable of far more understanding than we probably give them credit for.
That said, attacks on boats should never be tolerated......Learning that there are no consequences for such behavior encourages it. Wanton pointless violence such as the guy shooting at one for no good reason is beyond counterproductive, but responding with violence when they attack a boat rather than treating them with kid gloves is appropriate as offensive as it is to some people. Whatever their supposed reason for this behavior is irrelevant. If they cannot or will not coexist in harmony with us, they they should fear us..... it's that simple. Electricity is the least violent tool for the job, and it would not be difficult or expensive to develop a system.... A couple of fishing poles diagonally outward over the stern, insulated wire, and one of those really mean electric fencers from down in Oz that leaves your arm numb and useless for the rest of the day. If they approach the stern flip the switch on...... they won't mess with you again. Neither would I hesitate to use a firearm if an orca was threatening to damage my boat........if I had one aboard. That would be unlikely in the area where this is happening. Like most people here, I'm not a violent person.....but I have zero tolerance for violence against myself and my people. The pack of orcas that are doing this may have what they imagine to be a "good reason", but they are choosing the most helpless, least offensive targets to act against......... You don't see them attacking freighters or tankers for obvious reasons.... but that doesn't make it acceptable any more than lynching some random person because you have developed a hatred for their race.
Old 03-02-2022, 13:11   #204

Boat: Tayana 47

Owly I agree with your philosophy but wonder how big a firearm it would take in order to persuade an orca or group of orcas to leave you alone? I can’t quite visualize your electric shock idea but it sounds like a promising way to discourage them without causing permanent damage if someone would work all the kinks out and publicize details.
Old 03-02-2022, 14:27   #205

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Unless cherry bombs or depth charges, fireworks, are illegal. I think they may be a deterrent? As I recall, they explode under water and they would not do damage to the orcas. They may discourage them, hopefully not piss them off.
Old 03-02-2022, 14:55   #206

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Orca have started eating fish caught on hooks, treating fishing lines like a buffet. [1]
Researchers, led by Morgane Amelot, from Australia's Deakin University, tracked the feeding behavior of two groups of orca, around the Crozet Islands, in the southern Indian Ocean, between 2003 to 2018, to observe the number of individuals using fishing boats to feed.
Over the study period, the number of individual orca snatching fish off hooks had significantly increased, in both groups, from 34 to 94, and from 19 to 43.
Concluding, the team said the study shows how quickly orca can respond to new food sources, and how humans are influencing the diets of these top predators.

[1] “Increasing numbers of killer whale individuals use fisheries as feeding opportunities within subantarctic populations” ~ by Morgane Amelot et al
[1] https://royalsocietypublishing.org/d...rsbl.2021.0328
Interesting as the Southern Resident Orcas in the Salish Sea here in SW British Columbia are starving, despite other protein being around, as they will only eat spring (chinook, king) salmon - which are in critically short supply due to overfishing, warming ocean water, spawning ground degradation, pollution, etc.

Meanwhile the Transient Orcas are thriving because they eat marine mammals such as seals and sea lions which, at least for now, are abundant on this coast.
Old 03-02-2022, 15:02   #207

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
Unless cherry bombs or depth charges, fireworks, are illegal. I think they may be a deterrent? As I recall, they explode under water and they would not do damage to the orcas. They may discourage them, hopefully not piss them off.
Commercial fishermen around here used to use seal bombs (sorta underwater flashbang grenades - but now illegal) to scare seals away from their nets and lines. I wonder if they would be effective with orcas?
Old 03-02-2022, 15:04   #208

Quote:
Originally Posted by owly View Post
Humans are undeniably the "apex predator" both on land and at sea. The most dangerous and wantonly destructive of all living creatures as a group. Beneath us in the oceans the orca could be considered to be at the top of the food chain. Preying even on great white sharks and blue whales among other things, they fear only one thing. Man. Highly intelligent, I suspect they know that if you get in conflict with humans you ultimately lose. It is necessary to coexist with us, and maintaining "friendly" seeming relations is the best way...... they aren't stupid with the apparent exception of one group lead by some misguided individuals. They would not be attacking boats if there were consequences. A parallel on land would be the American mountain lion. In California they eat joggers.... they are protected and not hunted. In the Rockies where they are hunted with dogs, they fear and avoid humans. I was stalked by a lion one afternoon in early winter when hiking in the Crazy Mountains of Montana. Far from any human habitation, acting as a caretaker in a remote guest ranch, I was hiking up a trail in about 2" of fresh snow. The hair on the back of my neck stood up.....for no apparent reason. I couldn't hear or see anything of the lion, but instinct told me I was being stalked or trailed, and that it was a lion. Rounding a switchback about that time, with a large rock blocking view from behind, I spun around and charged straight down my tracks at a dead run surprising the lion and scaring it off the trail........ Was it hunting me? or was it just curious? I suspect the latter...... I was of course unarmed.... I never carry a weapon unless I'm hunting. I saw enough of the lion to I believe recognize it.... a female with cubs that I'd seen on the grounds a few times...... though the cubs were not with her. I don't believe she was actually "stalking" me....just curious about this strange solitary man hiking up a mountainside at about 8000 feet in December for no apparent reason. I never feared any wild animal in those mountains, and often hiked solo at all seasons. They learn with few exceptions to leave humans alone...Even grizzlies with a very few exceptions.
The intelligence of the predator is key... The intelligence of creatures like orcas is high and broad. They have social structures similar to ours, and their intelligence is not entirely focused on hunting. They are curious and observant, and capable of far more understanding than we probably give them credit for.
That said, attacks on boats should never be tolerated......Learning that there are no consequences for such behavior encourages it. Wanton pointless violence such as the guy shooting at one for no good reason is beyond counterproductive, but responding with violence when they attack a boat rather than treating them with kid gloves is appropriate as offensive as it is to some people. Whatever their supposed reason for this behavior is irrelevant. If they cannot or will not coexist in harmony with us, they they should fear us..... it's that simple. Electricity is the least violent tool for the job, and it would not be difficult or expensive to develop a system.... A couple of fishing poles diagonally outward over the stern, insulated wire, and one of those really mean electric fencers from down in Oz that leaves your arm numb and useless for the rest of the day. If they approach the stern flip the switch on...... they won't mess with you again. Neither would I hesitate to use a firearm if an orca was threatening to damage my boat........if I had one aboard. That would be unlikely in the area where this is happening. Like most people here, I'm not a violent person.....but I have zero tolerance for violence against myself and my people. The pack of orcas that are doing this may have what they imagine to be a "good reason", but they are choosing the most helpless, least offensive targets to act against......... You don't see them attacking freighters or tankers for obvious reasons.... but that doesn't make it acceptable any more than lynching some random person because you have developed a hatred for their race.
Somehow I don't think an electric shock device would work. Salt water is a VERY good conductor and would basically short them out.
Old 03-02-2022, 18:34   #209

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

What would happen if we throw few hands of chilli power in the water?
It's not very expensive and is sold in kilo packs as well.
That is biodegradable and probably not permanently harmful. Wonder if they would back off.
Old 03-02-2022, 18:48   #210

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franziska View Post
What would happen if we throw few hands of chilli power in the water?
It's not very expensive and is sold in kilo packs as well.
That is biodegradable and probably not permanently harmful. Wonder if they would back off.
That's about the first proposed solution that I would find acceptable - and might even work!
Closed Thread

Tags
boat, sail, sailboat, sailing, Spain