Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-08-2016, 12:52   #16

Boat: Chesapeake Light Craft Passagemaker, Tyler Craft T42, and 9' RIB.
Re: Kite Surfing/Boarding - easy to do?

I did some windsurfing circa 1984-85 and enjoyed it.

In 1989 I got into traction and power kiting and quickly moved to kite boarding, both land and water. This is a FAST sport and can be dangerous but also very calming and zen like too.

I suggest you get a few dual or quad line parafoils and practice skudding ( sand skiing ) and once you can fly and not look at the kite, move to inflatable spar surf kits. I have 5 surf kites that go 5.5 square meters to 24 and you size the kite to the winds.

You can drag a sailboat with a surf kite in a pinch.
Ramblingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2016, 21:55   #17

Boat: 2018 Seadoo GTX 230

I agree - crashing into rocks then continued being pulled thru those same rocks then into the air again then into the water all bloody. Not fun. Especially if in the water long enough to draw sharks.

Zooming along and in control - much more fun.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2016, 22:31   #18

Boat: Endeavour 40, Sold, looking for a 44'-50 cat or mono.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramblingman View Post
I did some windsurfing circa 1984-85 and enjoyed it.

In 1989 I got into traction and power kiting and quickly moved to kite boarding, both land and water. This is a FAST sport and can be dangerous but also very calming and zen like too.

I suggest you get a few dual or quad line parafoils and practice skudding ( sand skiing ) and once you can fly and not look at the kite, move to inflatable spar surf kits. I have 5 surf kites that go 5.5 square meters to 24 and you size the kite to the winds.

You can drag a sailboat with a surf kite in a pinch.
I almost pulled the trigger on a 2.2m practice kite. So you agree that this will help with the learning curve? Also, Can you name some kite brands to look for or steer away from? Thanks for any advice!
svGenesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2016, 22:34   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocRox View Post
at 59 no way am I getting on a windsurfer when it kicked my butt in my 30's.
I sure hope you are not implying that 59 is in any way old!

As with any sport, one can do it in a way that "kicks one's butt" or do it in a way that is more pleasurable. I'd definitely suggest a harness for South Padre Island.

I've recently gone back to windsurfing after a 20 year absence from the sport. The new gear is a vast improvement.

My new WindSUP board inflates to 18 psi, will plane, can be used as a SUP for flat water, or as a paddleSUP in the waves, is surprisingly fast in lighter winds, and...... the board easily deflates to fold up into a backpack. The rigging all fits in a zippered case that is easy to transport.

I'm not planning to do any more splits while riding the rail or similar moves from the '70's. Also not interested in forward or backward 360 flips off the lip of a wave. I sure have fun sailing this board though!
MermaidMuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2016, 06:43   #20

Just watched kitesurfing fails. Now having serious doubts. Seems it is very easy for the kite to drag you face 1st into rocks or sand.

Will need to think about trying this more.

Old 23-08-2016, 11:29   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
Just watched kitesurfing fails. Now having serious doubts. Seems it is very easy for the kite to drag you face 1st into rocks or sand.

Will need to think about trying this more.
tuffr2, if you watch compilations of sport "fails" on YouTube or similar you might choose to never leave the house.

If kitesurfing / kiteboarding really interests you, find an experienced instructor and try it in beginner conditions. Learn how to release the wind from the kite when needed and practice self rescue techniques to see if you are comfortable doing those things. Show a video of the fails to the instructor and ask what the particular kiter shown did 'wrong' or could have done to prevent the fail.

If you take a practical, common sense approach and pay attention to conditions, surroundings and what you are doing you can minimize the risk.

You won't know if the sport is for you until you try it.

Many people think cruising on a sailboat is insane.
MermaidMuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2016, 16:12   #22

I kinda agree. Most of these guys are trying some wizz bang trick. Except I saw one guy going over a school of sharks.

Old 24-08-2016, 01:51   #23

Boat: PT-11

There is definitely a learning hurdle to get over, including sometimes being dragged and dropped. Take lessons and they'll make sure it happens in open water. After that, follow safety procedures and you shouldn't come anywhere near rocks and other hard things. As for what kites to look for, all reputable brands are pretty good. Just look for kites from around 2010 and newer. Avoid kites for specific tasks - racing, jumping etc. All mfgers make an all-round kite. I wouldn't get a foil kite. Try to pick up a quiver of 3 to deal with different wind conditions. Get a twin tip board and the bigger the better.
SVNeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2016, 05:23   #24

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

I first saw kiting in California about 20 years ago. I was totally supified, as I had no idea such a thing existed.

Still, to this day, I've not done it. I'm afraid I'll enjoy it too much, and it will be one more thing to add to the inflatables, kayaks, and iceboats menagerie.
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 13:15   #25

Boat: Van de Stadt 50'
Send a message via Skype™ to sy_gilana

Quote:
Originally Posted by svGenesis View Post
I almost pulled the trigger on a 2.2m practice kite. So you agree that this will help with the learning curve? Also, Can you name some kite brands to look for or steer away from? Thanks for any advice!
After 2012 all kites work more or less,

The best kite IMHO out there is OZONE, for many reasons, but also up there are in order, North, Cabrinha, Best, RRD etc...

No need to buy new on your first kite.

You should stand in knee deep water, and be able to fly your trainer kite in all sorts of aerobatic maneuvers without thinking, so you need someone to talk to, and you can discuss anything. Trust me the control of the kite has to be second nature, totally empirical. You should also connect your trainer bar to a belt or harness to feel the power on your waist not your arms.

Take lessons, or charter with us and we will teach you
Old 17-09-2016, 16:43   #26

Was watching kite surfers today with bigger than average waves. How do you kite surf over the breaking waves? Seems to be no problem...

Old 18-09-2016, 20:01   #27

Boat: Van de Stadt 50'
Send a message via Skype™ to sy_gilana

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
Was watching kite surfers today with bigger than average waves. How do you kite surf over the breaking waves? Seems to be no problem...

Its quite easy but not for beginners. Important to not perl the board, keep pressure on the back foot. At the same time the kite can be flown higher, or even sent back as in a jump, or the "load and pop". Sometimes also used for mangrove or shallow patches. Bottom line is the kite must ave good airspeed, and then you change the angle of attack while loading the lines, then you can pop out of the water and go several yards flying.
I think flat water is where you must learn. We have a few guests coming out to take lessons with us soon. Its fun to teach too.
Old 18-09-2016, 21:03   #28

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

Btw. Just happened to see the next level of evolution of this today.

While at anchor here in Lorient, I had a guy zipping around me with his kite, and, believe it or not, he and his board were fully airborne on a foil.
And I thought the flying moth sailboats I saw the other day where already impressive ;-)

Looked effortless and a lot of fun.

I thought the other day I'd stick to keep my windsurf stuff on board because at close to 50 I am possibly to old to learn kiting.

Now I really wonder if it is not worth the effort. I'm an avid snowboarder for many years, so that might help.

www.ladyrover.com
Old 18-09-2016, 21:12   #29

Boat: Formosa 41

I saw the same thing today. I was anchored in Pt. Judith Harbor of Refuge and a guy flew by my boat about 25' away with a kite and up on a foil. I have never seen anything like that before. I was truly amazed.

And he was no young guy. He said was probably close to 60.
Jason Flare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2016, 04:22   #30

Back in the day...1980's and 1990's I water skied a lot. By a lot I mean 3 - 4 times a week. There was a ski course set up a few miles from work. So join the ski club and ski the 6 bouy coarse. This was a sport that the ski boat could speed up or you can shorten the rope. So there was really no way to be successful 100% of the time. I really never was as good some of the other club members.

But back in the early 90's there was a thing called 'Air Chair' on a foil. The rider used a ski rope / handle and was pulled by the boat. That darn thing was nearly impossible to ride for long without doing a face plant.

Oh...being a water skiier I have taken my share of face plants. Just get the tip of the ski caught in the boat wake as you come across the course and you get pulled forward into a face plant.

Somewhere in the 2000's wake boarding took over water skiing. From wake boarding it was a small jump to kite surfing. But kite surfing on the ocean beach area where the waves are breaking amazes me. Agree to stay back on the board.