Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-12-2017, 03:12   #46

Boat: Amel Super Maramu 53 ft
Re: Lagoon 380 cat vs Amel Super Maramu for tradewinds RTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by daletournier View Post
I know you like your Amel, I like them to. But to say few cats are upto RTW is just silly and provocative, every year cats sail around the world quite fine. I've got one next to me that is nearly home after a 15 year trip, 37 ft.
Hello Dale,

There was no intent to inflame in my comment.

I will expand my POV. I've sailed on a friend's Katana 50 and I had repeated brown trouser moments in a short steep sea in the Med. The slapping under the belly shook everything including the rigging. However, at anchor, she is palatial. But this is not what I wish for; I want to complete my RTW then retire to an old folk home and charm all the olde girls...

Blue side up!
Eleuthera 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2017, 04:17   #47

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot

After having watched The Same model Amel in question follow us( in a much smaller leopard cat) broad reaching in large seas for over 24 hours, I would never want to sail on one my opinion. The "ship" rolled 30 degrees to 30 degrees, non stop the entire time we saw them. Not to mention the internal keel drive system which if it breaks down somehere other then France may as well get another boat.
Obviously many posters are basing opinions based on hull build etc , not having sailed on either or seen either sail first hand...
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2017, 04:27   #48
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulcesuenos View Post
After having watched The Same model Amel in question follow us( in a much smaller leopard cat) broad reaching in large seas for over 24 hours, I would never want to sail on one my opinion. The "ship" rolled 30 degrees to 30 degrees, non stop the entire time we saw them. Not to mention the internal keel drive system which if it breaks down somehere other then France may as well get another boat.
Obviously many posters are basing opinions based on hull build etc , not having sailed on either or seen either sail first hand...

Come on now, you know rolling beam to beam is considered real sailing:-).
We sailed next to a SM in our 36' Seawind catamaran in about 10kts of wind and I wasn't impressed at all with the SM's light wind performance. I'm sure once the wind pipes up she will get going and probably a well built seaworthy boat.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2017, 04:45   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
Come on now, you know rolling beam to beam is considered real sailing:-).
We sailed next to a SM in our 36' Seawind catamaran in about 10kts of wind and I wasn't impressed at all with the SM's light wind performance. I'm sure once the wind pipes up she will get going and probably a well built seaworthy boat.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Yeah, I'm sure beating head on Into large seas in heavy air the SM would be better,, I would love to know what so fatally catastrophic on Zero2cruising's Amel that inspired them to stop sailing and sue the seller....
Old 19-12-2017, 05:16   #50
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Yeah, I'm sure beating head on Into large seas in heavy air the SM would be better,, I would love to know what so fatally catastrophic on Zero2cruising's Amel that inspired them to stop sailing and sue the seller....

Seems strange suing the seller of a 20-30 year old used boat and even after a prepurchase survey.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2017, 05:47   #51

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

Quote:
So to summarize this thread, the take-away for the OP is "neither boat, keep looking"?
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2017, 05:49   #52

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailFastTri View Post
So to summarize this thread, the take-away for the OP is "neither boat, keep looking"?

Or, neither is ideal.....nor is any other.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2017, 06:03   #53
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Lagoon 380 cat vs Amel Super Maramu for tradewinds RTW

Theres a lot of talk about how slow and crap the 380 is so heres some facts..
Monte.. who many members will remember for his many contributions to the forum over the years.. sold his 380 to an American lady who wished to participate in the ARC..
I arrived in Bari, Italy the first week of Oct to collect the boat and recieved an afternoons update on the boat as he and Jen wanted to start their drive to France that evening..
My mission was to get the boat to Gran Canaria's Las Palmas marina before the end of the pre inspection date in the second week of November.. else she would be ineligible.
The Med in winter is a bit bumpy but I sailed in the late afternoon the day after taking command down the E of Italy and then across to Sicily.. along its S Coast (anchored one night for wind shift) then jumped across to Mallorca experiencing N'ly F7 gusting 8's which had us hitting 11kts regularly along the way.. there we grabbed a couple of days rest and replenished supplies for the rest of the trip.. arrived on a Sat evening and sailed Monday evening.
From there we sailed nonstop to Las Palmas averaging over 8kts for a large portion of the trip.. bar 100 miles from Gib between Cabo de Gato and the Strait where there was no wind.
We arrived with three days to spare before the cut off date..
Thats a distance of 2300nm in varied conditions of wind and seas in around 4 weeks..
So yes.. I would be confident in a Lagoon 380 RTW where the times one faces headwinds are limited and the sailing is 90% downwind in the Tropics.. the biggest challenge would be rounding Good Hope.. if one took that route.. after that its back to running with the wind as it takes you N and across to Brazil or the Indies.

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2017, 06:29   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailFastTri View Post
, We tied up to an elderly couple in the 70's-80s? In Horta last year who was finishing a RTW. On a early model Lagoon 380. The boat was already sold but had to finish their last leg back to the UK. They were quite pleased with how she handled and how easy it was for them at their age (they were in good shape) to handle her.
The boat was spacious, easy to get around on, though I didn't care for the engine lockers and lids.
Why would anyone think this boat wouldn't be suitable?

Sent from my SM-T350 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 19-12-2017, 06:33   #55

Quote:
Seems strange suing the seller of a 20-30 year old used boat and even after a prepurchase survey.
Maybe they didnt like the Rolling[emoji12]

Sent from my SM-T350 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 19-12-2017, 06:34   #56

Boat: no boat any more

...payload was no topic for you though, boatman61...
Old 19-12-2017, 06:46   #57

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Theres a lot of talk about how slow and crap the 380 is so heres some facts..
Monte.. who many members will remember for his many contributions to the forum over the years.. sold his 380 to an American lady who wished to participate in the ARC..
I arrived in Bari, Italy the first week of Oct to collect the boat and recieved an afternoons update on the boat as he and Jen wanted to start their drive to France that evening..
My mission was to get the boat to Gran Canaria's Las Palmas marina before the end of the pre inspection date in the second week of November.. else she would be ineligible.
The Med in winter is a bit bumpy but I sailed in the late afternoon the day after taking command down the E of Italy and then across to Sicily.. along its S Coast (anchored one night for wind shift) then jumped across to Mallorca experiencing N'ly F7 gusting 8's which had us hitting 11kts regularly along the way.. there we grabbed a couple of days rest and replenished supplies for the rest of the trip.. arrived on a Sat evening and sailed Monday evening.
From there we sailed nonstop to Las Palmas averaging over 8kts for a large portion of the trip.. bar 100 miles from Gib between Cabo de Gato and the Strait where there was no wind.
We arrived with three days to spare before the cut off date..
Thats a distance of 2300nm in varied conditions of wind and seas in around 4 weeks..
So yes.. I would be confident in a Lagoon 380 RTW where the times one faces headwinds are limited and the sailing is 90% downwind in the Tropics.. the biggest challenge would be rounding Good Hope.. if one took that route.. after that its back to running with the wind as it takes you N and across to Brazil or the Indies.
I've said on this thread that I'd choose the Amel BUT I totally agree with you Boatie. Some of the comments here, both ways are just ridiculous. I said earlier there was a 38 crossing the Indian ocean with me this year, it did fine, family of four onboard. They cruise at respectable speeds and have no more or less problems than anyone else. This family will be going around good hope shortly.
Oh, that's another fact!
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2017, 07:00   #58
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Lagoon 380 cat vs Amel Super Maramu for tradewinds RTW

Payload never is for me.. even on my own boats.
I do not suffer the obsessions of a garage load of tools, close on the weight of a spare engine in spares, 2 years food etc.. two months supply is more than sufficient in most cases as theres top up stops along the way and I would rather buy fresh than carry all those tins full of salt and preservatives many seem so fond of.. adapt to what the locals use as you go.. that's what sailing around the world is supposed to be about.. or carry a years supply of vac packed Big Macs and a microwave.. now starts the whinge about how expensive food is.. its not that expensive.. maybe spend less on the boats and more on the experiences perhaps.
To many try to adapt the oceans to their lifestyle on land rather than the other way round.. and that does not mean one has to rough it.
A small portable Honda genny rather than a monster bigger than an engine is a start.. and so it goes on.
Folks go round in all sizes of boats and manage quite well.. but then I am a small boat sailor where most posting on this thread seem to be 40ft upwards and in a way different lifestyle..
Getting old I guess.. and never been into caviar..

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2017, 07:08   #59

Boat: no boat any more

on each of our rtw we stayed at Chagos (a highlight of a rtw everybody will agree): once for 6 weeks & twice for 3 months. add to this the time to get there (from Darwin), could be another 3-4 weeks, then add the time to get to Aden (possible then) - another 3+ weeks, they mightn't have any toilet paper (or Pampers in the case of our 2nd trw) there, add another 4 weeks plus to get to Suez & then add 25% extra as safety margin. this amounts to a serious amount of foodstuff & toiletpaper for 2 persons (not to speak of the nappies for the baby...)...
on the first rtw we managed on the 34' Wharram - but I still marvel that it survived the crass overloading...
(& it's not that we were extravagant, on the contrary!!!)
Old 19-12-2017, 07:10   #60

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
It seems American and unfortunately now Australian.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lagoon, lagoon 380, trade, wind