Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-02-2016, 19:54   #1

Boat: Kadey Krogen 44
Lake Okeechobee transit

Hello,
Leaving from Stuart,Fl tomorrow (16 Feb) going to Ft Myers via Lake Okeechobee. Anyone been thru lately? I was wondering if there were places to tie up close to Malaka (sp) lock. I could probably make it there with daylight left or is Indiantown the last Marina/tieup place heading west.
I'm in a trawler so the RR bridge is not a problem height wise.Lots of water in there too.
Appreciate any help.
Thanks,Ray
GRNordstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2016, 21:30   #2

Boat: Seawind 1000xl
Re: Lake Okeechobee transit

My boat is in Ft. Myers and the harbor master there said due to the Corps releasing 1,000,000,000 gallons of water a day the river is running 1 1/2 to 2 feet high. Probably not an issue for you but also keep in mind the current is maybe two knots faster than normal. Might want to check on what is going on with that.

tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2016, 22:04   #3

Boat: Grand Banks 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRNordstrom View Post
Hello,
Leaving from Stuart,Fl tomorrow (16 Feb) going to Ft Myers via Lake Okeechobee. Anyone been thru lately? I was wondering if there were places to tie up close to Malaka (sp) lock. I could probably make it there with daylight left or is Indiantown the last Marina/tieup place heading west.
I'm in a trawler so the RR bridge is not a problem height wise.Lots of water in there too.
There are a few pilings to starboard before you get to the Port Myaca lock but there is no guarantee of space and the pilings are covered with creosote which makes them problematic without fender boards. Check Active Captain for details. There is also room for one boat to anchor bow and stern in the Port Mayaca Canal 1.5 miles east of the railroad bridge. My choice would be to dock at Indian Town Marina.
wayne.b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2016, 22:21   #4

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

I've stayed near the lock on a GB42. I'm trying to remember exactly how, but am pretty sure I dropped the hook, backed up to the last piling, and tied a line to it to keep me from swinging into the channel. I was coming from the lake were it was to rough to anchor, and the lock master suggested the spot.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2016, 17:39   #5

Boat: Kadey Krogen 44

Thanks to all for your reply's.
I left Stuart about 12:30 and arrived at Port Mylaka(sp) about 6;00. Had a 2 kt negative current until st lucie lock then about a 1 kt negative the rest of the way. I am tied to a dolphin just east of the lock right now and for the night. NO wind at present (9pm) and none forecast.
42 km to Moore Haven from here, then down the C river. Should be at Moore Haven @ 1;00 pm (we're a 7 knot trawler). Dont know how far Ill get toward Ft Myers.
i'll let you know
Ray
GRNordstrom is offline   Reply With Quote