Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-06-2023, 16:36   #1

Boat: Custom 28' Power Catamaran
Lake Shuswap to Kamloops?

This a longshot question I know....

My wife and I will be taking a trip to Lake Shuswap, BC, Canada on a trailerable sailboat. Draft with centerboard and rudder up is 17". We took several trips on this lake with children decades ago......on rented houseboats. So we want to go back.

Question: Is it possible to go from this lake to Kamloops via the South Thompson River?

I have searched Google and especially Google maps, but nothing conclusive. Looks shallow/currenty in places, but I also see some boats on docks in certain areas. And I understand the time of year will determine water levels and currents. We are going early September.

Anyone out there with direct experience on this question?
massnspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2023, 17:19   #2

Boat: Bavaria Vision 42
Re: Lake Shuswap to Kamloops?

Can't give you any definitive help but there are certainly lots of runabouts and docks along the river ... I've driven along both sides and lived on the Shuswap as a kid. Just had a look at my Navionics charts but it just shows a shallow depth all the way. However, it also shows lateral buoys all the way so there must be a navigable channel. The water levels usually peak in late June or early July (probably early this year) which of course will mean a higher rate of flow in the river at that time ... should still be above minimum water levels when you're interested. This link is for the river height (elevation) in Kamloops;
https://www.kamloops.ca/public-safet...dness/flooding
I've walked in the riverside park in Kamloops and the river is moving at a pretty good speed .... no problem coming down, steerage issues aside, but might make a long difficult slog back to the Shuswap if you need to return.
desodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2023, 18:39   #3

Boat: Custom 28' Power Catamaran

Thanks for the reply….

I have west coast saltwater Canada E charts and inland rivers (USA) E charts, so they dont cover that stretch of water. Interesting that there are channel markers shown….

This wound be a one-way trip. We would just get a bus back to Shuswap and drive the car and trailer back. There ARE a few boats ramps in Kamloops, so we at least know we can end our trip there.

Anyway, it seems maybe too risky. We like a good adventure, but if we were to ground out on a shoal, and the water level was receding…maybe say goodbye to the boat and hope it’s there in the spring…...not a great way to end a trip….
massnspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2023, 19:41   #4

Boat: Bavaria Vision 42

Caution may be best, but your question has piqued my curiosity. I found this page;
https://www.tnrd.ca/services/communi...s/river-buoys/
The buoys are maintained by the Regional District and I'm sure they would have more info on the channel ... maybe a direct question to them would give you an accurate answer. But there are also bridges across the river, including a railway bridge at Kamloops that appears quite low. Might want to check those out ... obviously more water under the boat means less room above the water and might require mast lowering. Water levels will still be a long way above minimum in September imo.
desodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2023, 07:06   #5

Boat: Custom steel, 41' LOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnspace View Post
Thanks for the reply….

I have west coast saltwater Canada E charts and inland rivers (USA) E charts, so they dont cover that stretch of water. Interesting that there are channel markers shown….

This wound be a one-way trip. We would just get a bus back to Shuswap and drive the car and trailer back. There ARE a few boats ramps in Kamloops, so we at least know we can end our trip there.

Anyway, it seems maybe too risky. We like a good adventure, but if we were to ground out on a shoal, and the water level was receding…maybe say goodbye to the boat and hope it’s there in the spring…...not a great way to end a trip….
You better check that there IS a bus. Greyhound has pulled out of Canada and most highways are now without busses.
Scorpius is online now   Reply With Quote