Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-06-2015, 12:16   #1

Landlocked Boat ==>> Shipping

So in my search for my first boat, I have come across two boats. One is located in Rochester, NY and the other is located in Lake Lanier, Georgia.

First is an Endeavor 33 that looks much better than any other one I have seen so far. Lot's of refit just done to the boat last year.

Second is a Sabre 34 that could use a bit of work, but I think it's very close.

How much does it normally cost to ship it to water ? I have looked and over land trucking is about 3.5 per mile, then I assume it would cost about 2 boat bucks to unstep/restep mast ???

While the Georgia boat is close to water already, is it worth trying to ship it ?

The Sabre would seem like a nightmare to get to NYC, but I know its the better boat.

I search daily for the "one", but I can't seem to find one that fits the budget or will more than likely need to much work.
Islandnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2015, 12:32   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
Re: Landlocked Boat ==>> Shipping

The issue with doing a water delivery after it's trucked to the nearest port is the condition of the boat. I commisioned and sailed a Morgan to Norfolk from the factory in St Petersburg. The boat was bare so had to install winches, sail handling equipment, paint the bottom, etc but it was new so didn't have to redo anything the factory did. Took me two weeks to paint the bottom, install all the hardware, get it ready to sail, launch and sail it to be sure everything worked. You'll have to do the same for any boat you'll buy though most of the work will be R&R'ing what's already there. Before you opt for a bottom delivery get a very good handle on what's going to be needed done to make the sail. If it's just a clean up and provisioning, might take a weekend. If it's more, could stretch out for quite awhile. Do you have the time to get the boat ready and make the sail??

The delivery was really a lot of fun visiting a few ports along the way and experiencing the dismal swamp canal. Would recommend doing that IF you have the time.

You mention something about a boat unit to step the mast. If that was just the cost to step the mast, that is too high. Just had my mast stepped for less than $500 and that included storing the mast for nearly a year while I did other work on the boat.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2015, 12:39   #3

Both boats are in the water. The endeavor would have to be shipped to put into the ocean marina somewhere on the east coast.

1985 Endeavour Sloop sailboat for sale in Georgia

This is the cleanest one I have seen, although I can't say these boats move the heart much.

This is the Sabre, which I like a lot, but would need a bit of updating.

1985 Sabre Sabre 34 Mk I sailboat for sale in New York

I am still up in the air about how much to actually spend on a boat, knowing I will have to refit any of them. These are close though.
Time is something I have lots of, the know how is not so much.
Islandnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2015, 13:17   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

No personal knowledge at all, but can't you take the Erie Canal to Albany and they catch the Hudson River south to NYC?

If that's possible that shouldn't be such a bad trip at all and would avoid any overland transportation.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2015, 13:39   #5

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

IMO, you should always buy the better of two boats, because the underlying quality helps you keep going with your re-fitting. However, one of the saws about buying older boats is that at least one of three main systems must be good: either the engine, the sails, or the interior.

Pick what you'd prefer to learn-by-doing about.

If the Rochester boat is a salt water boat and the other a freshwater boat, there will be less salt water driven decay on the freshwater one, most likely.

Don't buy either one if they don't make your heart go pitty-pat. You want to feel some boat lust, more for the Sabre than the Endeavor, it sounds like.

Ann
Old 15-06-2015, 13:50   #6

Many would consider Rochester to be on the water- I know I would- I've been into Rochester on 300' ocean going ships. It might help if you specified what water you need to be on?

If you are on the Atlantic, say in the vicinity of New York City, it will take less than a week to transport the boat to the ocean via the New York State Canal system.

You can also reach the Atlantic via the St Lawrence in about a week. I'm assuming your destination isn't the gulf of St Lawrence though, or you would already know that.

If your destination isn't in the Canadian Maritimes or 13 colonies, I think you might want to look for a boat closer to home. There are lots of used boats out there.

Sent from my SGH-I547C using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
FamilyVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2015, 14:21   #7

Boat: Sabre 34 , Island Packet 38

You are correct Skipmac, one of the other members here brought their 34 sabre through the Erie canal a few years ago. Serendipity was the name of the boat.

I believe they enjoyed the trip.
Old 15-06-2015, 14:25   #8

I doubt it will be 2 boat bucks to remove the mast/rigging. maybe half that... but maybe I'm just way out of date...?

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2015, 14:28   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
I doubt it will be 2 boat bucks to remove the mast/rigging. maybe half that... but maybe I'm just way out of date...?
A mast crane is generally around $350. You do the work yourself in less than an hour. Even if you're inexperienced, the yardy or a knowledgeable old guy (my go to) will walk you through it.

Old 15-06-2015, 14:38   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by FamilyVan View Post
A mast crane is generally around $350. You do the work yourself in less than an hour. Even if you're inexperienced, the yardy or a knowledgeable old guy (my go to) will walk you through it.

That's kind of what I was thinking, so you add to that the haulout etc... still a lot less than $2k?

Old 15-06-2015, 14:43   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
That's kind of what I was thinking, so you add to that the haulout etc... still a lot less than $2k?
I double checked the original post, he says in and out for $2k. He might be pretty close on his math. $350 for crane, $350 for travel lift. That's $700x2. Plus not being super experienced there may be complications. I would budget $2k, but hope to come in around $1500.

Old 15-06-2015, 15:11   #12
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"The Sabre would seem like a nightmare to get to NYC,"

You have looked at a map of NY, haven't you?

Drop the mast, motor through the Erie Canal, raise the mast outside Albany were there are plenty of facilities, and you're done. The trip down the Hudson should be a walk in the park, and then you're in NYC.

I'd call it a fast nobrainer for a sweet delivery ride. The only question is how long you want to spend in Rochester doing the prep work. But at least there are plenty of facilities in Rochester for that, and they should be cheaper than anything near NYC.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2015, 15:21   #13

Boat: Formosa 41

After the trip through the canal to Albany you can rent the crane at the Castelton Boat Club for $50.00. The controls re on a long cord and you can control the crane from your boat.

BUT if neither of these boats is the, "one," don't do either. Buy the boat you can't walk away from IMHO.
Jason Flare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2015, 15:35   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Flare View Post
After the trip through the canal to Albany you can rent the crane at the Castelton Boat Club for $50.00. The controls re on a long cord and you can control the crane from your boat.

BUT if neither of these boats is the, "one," don't do either. Buy the boat you can't walk away from IMHO.
$50 is an amazing price. I often forget how inexpensive things are down south.

Old 15-06-2015, 15:38   #15

I would think long and hard whether there is anything special enough about a Sabre or Endeavor to do it though. If those are specifically what you like for some reason then good.

Tags
shipping