Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-05-2016, 17:26   #1

Large windows and portlights

Ok when shopping at the boat shows I get the attraction, large windows really open up a boat, multi or mono but who really needs them?
Maybe if your in the northern climes they might make some sense but in the tropics they are a complete waste. I'm sitting at an anchorage right now in Belize with maybe 20 boats in it and every one of them have the ports,hatches and windows covered up with something to stop the heat. Only boats here without sun protection are charter boats. The multi guys say we live in caves and that's OK because caves are at least somewhat cool. I don't know, buyers want raised saloon designs and the production builders are putting plexiglass everywhere they can but then we cover all of it up???
A few years down the road when all these start to leak it's going to be job to keep your boat dry. What am I missing here??
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 18:06   #2
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
Re: Large windows and portlights

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
What am I missing here??
The option to open the blinds when desired.

I knew the owner of this large sailboat who felt the same.

Flush deck, no windows or portholes following the same logic of utility
He one day complained to me that it was hard to keep a happy crew on board...
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 06:20   #3

Boat: Pearson 34-II

Robert,
You're missing nothing. Today, modern design, generally speaking, is more akin to replicating a condo on the water than creating a sensible, functional sailboat. I believe the reason is that these design considerations are necessary to coax reluctant wives to join in their husband's dream cruise without sacrificing the material comforts they have in their home. O.K., I'm not talking about the few serious women who cruise on CF but rather the average Ma and Pa that take to the sea. So, these design considerations will continue to morph functional sea boats into condo palaces. Why? Because the people want them! Good luck and safe sailing.
Old 13-05-2016, 18:22   #4

Boat: Tayana 58 DS

We have a deck-salon model with large opening portlights/hatches forward and non-opening on the sides. A previous owner fitted them with exterior shades (we call them sunglasses) which reduce the brightness greatly (95%?) yet still provide some light and a nice view. The forward opening portlights/hatches are a great boost for ventilation. Yes, we have dorades and deck hatches forward, but when it is hot, I appreciate all the ventilation we can get. Unlike the forward deck hatches, the main cabin forward-facing portlights/hatches are closer to vertical. Thus, when opened, they provide ventilation and protection from moderate rain.

They're not for everyone, but we like that feature of our boat, even in the tropics.
accomplice is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
portlights, wind