Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-12-2012, 16:37   #16
cruiser

Re: Largest size sailboat for a small guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddle View Post
Bigger can be better. Up to a point. One hard limit for actual sailors is that you must be able to wrestle the largest sail out of the boat, bend it on, and then stow it. Mine are right at that limit. Any bigger and I just couldn't move them.

Note: Yes folks, those sails do need to come off the furlers and booms sometimes. Hard to believe but true!

No problem... $20 plus a deckhand can solve that.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2012, 17:11   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
No problem... $20 plus a deckhand can solve that.
Oh that's right. You never leave the dock...

However the few of us who make passages might expect a day when a sail change is required.
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2012, 17:18   #18

I say 35 ft if it's enough for her. Nothing wrong with 32. Sure a 40+ is more comfortable at sea, but more work too. If you are willing to reef early and be slightly under sailed, You could try a 40 with a 115% high cut lapper. This is fine reefing early when the wind is 25 knots, but if it quickly goes to 35+ then what? I'm slightly larger than you are and my 47 footer got to the point where i could not move 2 speed primary winches using both hands at times.
Life is easy with 32-35 feet.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2012, 17:19   #19

Boat: Finnsailer 38

There are a lot of 35-38 footers that would be easier to handle than a Nicholson 32, which I have sailed on briefly. My 38 footer heels much less, is more stable, still has smallish sails (it's a ketch), and I can manhandle the 45-lb main anchor if I have to. In general, sailing is easier on a larger boat, up to a point, just because of the more stable platform, assuming the sails are set up for easy handling and you can reach the boom for furling/reefing. The more difficult parts requiring greater physical strength tend to occur in harbor, hauling anchors, docking, and such. I personally think something between about 32 and 42 feet is around the ideal size for a couple to handle. Cats have certain advantages, but they can be a real handful in harbor at times. Windage is much greater, so forces on the anchor tend to be high, and docking forces can be high too. Some cats require stilts to reach any part of the boom, so you are completely dependent on furling systems working as advertised. On the other hand, lack of heeling can be a boon to many, and makes it much easier to move around on deck, steer, cook, sleep, etc.
Old 17-12-2012, 17:52   #20
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddle View Post
Oh that's right. You never leave the dock...

However the few of us who make passages might expect a day when a sail change is required.
Obviously, you haven't read any of my other posts. Never leave the dock.... Yeah Right.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2012, 18:00   #21

Boat: WTB Lagoon or Leopard 38'-40'

I don't know the particulars of this, but I understand that different kinds of sail rigs are easier to handle than others. For example, a rigging with three or four smaller sails rather than two large ones gives more flexibility and lighter sail handling, but at the cost of having a larger number of sails to manage (if you choose to use all of them).

There is a S.A. catamaran maker who has designed an "A" frame rigging that has what is effectively two large jib sails with no booms. In my mind ("theoretically") this seems like it would be easier and lighter to handle than a conventional mainsail with a large, heavy boom.

I would also suggest looking into furling booms because they simplify the process of reducing sail size. A smaller sail size will reduce your speed, but reduce the manhandling of your sails as well, and you can easily it adjust to meet your needs and ability at any given time. There are many mixed opinions on this topic!

Electric winches may reduce the manual effort of sail handling, but - I don't know, I haven't done it - but it feels to me like they would also require more planning and care to use. Maybe it's just my style, but I am used to putting muscle into the lines, even when they are on winches, and being able to dynamically control the tension and speed of these lines seems to me like it's important. Maybe that's just my own lack of experience talking.
ArtM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2012, 21:06   #22

Boat: Caliber 40

It is not that complicated!

I single a big spinnaker and huge Code 0. I have a big heavy full batten main with a lot or roach. I carry a lot of sail when the conditions are right.

BUT - I plan ahead, I reef early, and have a carefully laid out deck plan and winches.

I have three different staysails for really bad conditions.

I practice sail handling by myself and know how everything works by touch. I can do all the sail drills in the dark and a 25 degree heel.

It just takes practice and planning.

It is not rocket science!
TacomaSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2012, 21:35   #23

Boat: WTB Lagoon or Leopard 38'-40'

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacomaSailor View Post
It just takes practice and planning.

It is not rocket science!
Well, see, that's how people are different.

It so happens that I am a rocket scientist, but "planning and patience" aren't really my "thing".
ArtM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2012, 21:53   #24

Boat: trident voyager 38 ft Calaloo

all this is so objective. I have a friend who is now in his 70s, and has
sailed his 32 from canada to romania to Guatemala and all points in
between. I sail a 38ft ketch with no problem. it has a smaller plan
so its, in my opinion, a little forgiving. if you feel good, just go.
the boat paid for is best
Rick
rickf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sailboat, size