Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-10-2013, 19:17   #1

Boat: Morgan 323
Last sail of the season...

it's that time again. Squeeze in one more sailing day before the haul out. But what a day it was. Sailed up the Hudson River this afternoon in 18-22 kts and at one point gusting 30. Wow. I counted a total of 5 other sailboats and only two of them with the laundry up. I always wanted to see how I can handle my Morgan 323 in more than 10kts of wind. And she seemed to love it and we "danced" up the Hudson at a constant 7kts. But then it was time to dock and it was still blowing well over 15kts. Driving down the fairway, passed the slip, make a 180 and turn into the wind, turn to port and slide right into the slip without even hitting the dock . I really have to move south because this was way too much fun to be the last sail of the season! Just wanted to share
Old 28-10-2013, 11:13   #2

Boat: Island Packet 35
Re: Last sail of the season...

Hey Downhill, yes its that time again. My last day was much the same, 17-20 knts and sunny skies, just another 8 months to go!!!

Cheers
nicholson31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2013, 11:17   #3

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Every time I read a post like this I wonder why any sailors live in places where you can't sail year 'round. I know that I couldn't hack it!

At any rate, I hope that the winter passes quickly for all of you in those unkind environs.

Cheers,

Jim
Old 29-10-2013, 03:21   #4

Boat: Island Packet 35

Because Jim, Nortre Dame Bay Newfoundland is a paradise for sailing; Islands, wind, icebergs, scenic beauty, fabulous people. We have people from all over the world sail here and have never left, well they fly back home for the winter.
Yes its short lived, 4 good months and I do envy you who get to do it all year round but could never give up what I have here on my doorstep. The goal some day, hopefully soon will be to sell it all, buy another boat to keep down south for the winter and come back up for the summer season. Oh to dream!!.
nicholson31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2013, 06:05   #5

Boat: contessa 32

Down hill: I had a great day too,Exact same conditions with a few buddies but going uphill (pun) . Quite challenging in these narrow waters where missing stays or any other cluster **#k would mean a hard impact with the riprap that edges my home waters here.
Lost my expensive sunglasses and a few unsecured fenders washed overboard but worth the punctuation it put on a very fine fall with its brilliant colors.
Sailing in strong winds that are very shifty (typical of a frontal passage) really puts a sailor on his mettle when in confined waters since one does not have the luxury of changing course or experimenting with sail trim to give the crew time to sort out any miscalculation or run off to find shelter downwind. The strong tidal flow against a frisky wind raised short and steep seas that would easily put many boats in irons if tacks were not selected with some consideration as to the arrival of the next wave.
So I have only one more sail of 20 miles to be hauled and put my baby to bed , and in some ways I am thankful that I now have time to think about and do other things.

..............................Love you all..........mike................................. .............
mrohr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail