Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-11-2021, 07:28   #1

Boat: 42' vagabond
Leaky teak decks

Hello
we have a 40 year old 42 Vagabond sailboat and with all the maintenace
that goes with it....sanding, painting, replaceing parts over the 16 years of ownership. the one large problem is its leaking teak decks that rain water rots the underlying floors, shelves, interior wood which are taiwanese teak and mahogony beautiful ! We, my wife and i are in our 70's and can do most everything except tear up the teak deck and fiberglass the whole deck and just paint it. We're just wondering if someone knows some kind of cure that can 'get around' this pesky problem.
Many Thanks
chuckg5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2021, 07:57   #2

Boat: Landfall 39 - Ron Amy
Re: Leaky teak decks

There are quite a few threads on the subject here. Here is a recent one with a variety of suggestions. https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ay-257763.html
Oeanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2021, 08:52   #3

Oeanda
great link. Thank you
Old 22-11-2021, 09:13   #4

These are actual teak decks, not teak over fiberglass?

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2021, 09:19   #5

Cheechako
ours is a 42Vagabond cutter ketch. I'm assuming its teak over fiberglass deck. When I drill thru deck, fiberglass dust pulls up.
Old 22-11-2021, 09:46   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckg5 View Post
Cheechako
ours is a 42Vagabond cutter ketch. I'm assuming its teak over fiberglass deck. When I drill thru deck, fiberglass dust pulls up.
I wondered about that. Although some Taiwan built boats had actual teak decks.
Wow, it really runs down inside that bad?
I removed a 'teak over glass deck' once. Filled all the screw holes, painted the surrounding deck and put on Treadmaster.

It didn't require added glass at all to be fine. But I fear your core is filled with water if it leaks that bad.

Most boats the deck screws dont go through the inner layer of glass. But if you have that much water inside some must go through.

You can drill small holes in various places through the inside layer of glass, then take the balsa core off the drill bit grooves and squeeze hard between your thumb and index finger. If wet, water will come out when you squeeze.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2021, 11:34   #7

cheechako
thank you for the reply. drilling thru the teak deck all the way thru, only
teak and fiberglass comes up, no soggy wood. some how, water does penetrate the fiberglass and does its job, rotting wood interior. i just bought a quart of Burabak clear bed liner and play around with that....maybe dilute it down with paint thinner to get it to go down under the teak strips and

find those leaks.
Old 23-11-2021, 12:04   #8

Boat: Landfall 39 - Ron Amy

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckg5 View Post
...maybe dilute it down with paint thinner to get it to go down under the teak strips and
find those leaks.
While I can’t speak from experience re using Durabak, I think what you’re suggesting above will not work. I’d suggest calling the Durabak rep Ray Grimme (201) 379-5366 He was incredibly helpful and knowledgeable when I called him with questions.

Everything else aside, it sounds like a lot of people have had good results using this type of stuff as an emergency fix. There are some threads around with info posted by Charles Culotta, who I believe was the first in N America to try that pickup bedliner paint method of stopping leaks. He is still somewhat active on this forum and Trawler Forum and apparently very still happy with the results. Here is a thread where he details his prep work. https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/...1&postcount=27
Oeanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2021, 12:55   #9

Oceanda
called ray gimme right away and he picked. was very helpful and he immediately said not to use paint thinner for the durabak but to use 'Floridal'
a zilenne type substance. he listened to the deck problem, asked for photos of deck and we'll go from there.
great contact, Oceanda.....
i'll let you know what happens next.....after turkey day!
Happy thanksgiving to you and your family
Old 23-11-2021, 13:00   #10

Boat: Owner built 60’ Aluminum Expedition Yacht.

A deck is a structural element in a sailing vessel. If someone had invented a method by which failed core material could be quickly and economically repaired, this method would be common practice within the Boatbuilding community.
There is no “magic “ answer. There are lots of goops you can spread around but water will find its way in. People who repair flat roofs have tried just about ever goop that exists, but a flat roof is not a boat.
We are giving you the opinion from the perspective of experienced professionals who have built yachts for half a century. We have visited several builders in Taiwan. Teak decks were not a mistake. They expected owners would repair them before leaks became water damage. Labor and teak were reasonable then.
There is a lot written on the subject of teak deck repairs. We have seen repairs done perfectly but the time and costs are considerable.
Don’t waste money on magic beans.
The manatee crew.
Manateeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2021, 19:40   #11

Oh Manateeman
we well know there is nothing cheap an quick on a 42 Vagabond.
Money , patience , grease , an mor money is the way to go

Tags
deck, teak, teak deck