Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-06-2022, 11:36   #1

Boat: Partnerships
Leaving a Boat in The Bahamas Long Term

Anyone tried mooring your boat somewhere in the Bahamas then flying over throughout the year to sail her?
FUNTOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 05:48   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Leaving a Boat in The Bahamas Long Term

Greetings and welcome board the CF, FUNTOO.
Yes, it's not uncommon to leave a boat in the Bahamas, when you fly out. Usually one has a custodian [cruiser or local], to watch over her, whilst you're away.
I'd think it much less common, to leave an anchored/moored boat, over seasonal time frames.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 05:59   #3

Seems like that would be the way to go.

We have a few years left before retirement, but part of the plan is to arrange things during that time. A few flights out to a desired Bahamian port then networking with locals I figure may render a local that can put something together for us.

I read here that non Bahamians can leave vessel up to 2 years but then must clear out after that or pay a tax. Sounds reasonable.
Old 05-06-2022, 07:27   #4

You will want to check your insurance, it is usually hard and or very expensive to get that over the summer if your boat is in the Bahamas.
redneckrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 07:54   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

I have left my boat in the B'mas....but generally find a slip somewhere, where there is someone to keep an eye on it all the time.
Might cost a bit more....but it provides me peace of mind
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 11:53   #6

Insurance factor certainly important. What if you leave your boat then a storm sweeps it inland? In the US, you are liable for damages and removal and I would assume the same in Bahamas. One strategy might be to invest minimally in the boat itself, then get a liability only policy just in case.
Old 07-06-2022, 19:28   #7

Boat: Swan 44 Mk II

One option is to leave it in a slip on New Providence Island from November to the end of June and fly in to go sailing as frequently as you can. But it will cost you. It is about $2,300 per month for my 37 footer. Then sail the boat to Ft. Pierce in late June and haul it at the Safe Harbor facility there for the 4 months of hurricane season. Your insurance company will be happy and the boat will be as safe as it can be in Florida.
Roniszoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 03:53   #8

Finding an islander to oversee her sounds ideal. I'd think that after Dorians mess, jobs there would still be scarce and one may even help a guy there get by. Especially on the northern bank somewhere like Grand or along the abaco chain. Of course, air travel access would need to be considered.

Didn't realize how expensive dockage in NP was! But then again, there you have plenty of facilities and provisions at hand and can't beat the central location.

Perhaps placing a classified in a local publication may produce a "Shepard"?
Old 08-06-2022, 11:54   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUNTOO View Post
Finding an islander to oversee her sounds ideal. I'd think that after Dorians mess, jobs there would still be scarce and one may even help a guy there get by. Especially on the northern bank somewhere like Grand or along the abaco chain. Of course, air travel access would need to be considered.

Didn't realize how expensive dockage in NP was! But then again, there you have plenty of facilities and provisions at hand and can't beat the central location.

Perhaps placing a classified in a local publication may produce a "Shepard"?
The locals in the Abacos at least are all working as much as they possibly want doing rebuilding, I know several people routinely working 70 hour weeks. Much of the low cost migrant Haitian labor went away when the shanty towns were destroyed by Dorian and were not allowed to be rebuilt (or destroyed by the government in some cases), and literally everything needed to be rebuilt, so there is a pretty significant labor shortage at the moment.

Also, getting to the Abacos isn't trivial. Delta just started flying to Marsh Harbour from Atlanta which might help, but the MIA/FLL to Marsh Harbour flights are often full and never cheap since they started post-Dorian. I would plan out several dummy trips over the next several weeks to get an idea of cost and availability to avoid unpleasant surprises here. Much easier if you have your own airplane, otherwise that last 80 miles is a lot harder than one might think.

I would highly recommend you spend a few days on a trip to the areas you're considering before you make any decisions. First, you'll be able to experience first-hand what things are like today, which I think would be of great benefit to you. Second, most arrangements of this type are made through meeting a guy who knows a guy who knows a guy and you can only find that by actually talking to folks there in-person.
redneckrob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bahamas, boat