Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-10-2016, 11:16   #16

Boat: Westerly Centaur 26
Send a message via Skype™ to Manos1955
Re: Lens replacement for contacts

My other half had it three years ago with a top surgeon, well today she cannot see again She was 49now she is 52 and she has a really big problem.

Presbyopia is getting bigger by the day my friend and in this age (61) you will see that the myopia is getting less

I am.61 (born 1955) I can read as. Close .as I could when I was.15 and my 2,75 myopia is getting so much better that I seldom need my glasses.

Wait a year or so and you will see the difference.

Any operation will be ruined in no time.so don't do it
Manos1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 13:35   #17

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Three years ago, I was advised that my cataracts were not bad enough to operate. Their point was that my vision was "too good" to risk the less than 5% of bad results. Over time, my cataracts got worse, interfering not only with night vision, but everything. Finally, one day, the third day in a row during a major sewing project, I got fed up with the headaches and nausea, and went to an optometrist. I wanted a new prescription so I could work without headache, etc.

Well, instead of a prescription, I was given a referral to an opthalmic surgeon. My first cataract has been done. It is not on a user friendly schedule, 4 weeks between ops. Yes, the drops are a nuisance, fortunately the frequency is now down to 4 times a day, but still intrusive.

In my case, the operated eye already has excellent clarity of vision, so I have great hopes for the future. I have both myopia and astigmatism. Also, "dry eye", so contacts were too much trouble, especially living on the boat, but I liked them when I had them, because I didn't have to keep drying them off in the spray or rain.

The operation was almost painless, I had requested the lightest possible anesthesia, so I did have some bearable discomfort, but the general consensus is that it is painless.

I think the OP may have trouble finding a reputable surgeon who will operate on a good eye, but if you can find one, I think it is an interesting prophylactic move. On this forum, Dave from Exit Only, "Maxing Out", is a retired opthalmologist, possibly a PM to him might elicit some really good information.

Ann
Old 07-10-2016, 14:50   #18

Boat: Houseboat, 60ft.

Very common procedure in Australia now & almost completely covered by our Medicare cover. (small cost for prescription for drops)
You can go 'private' and get it done almost immediately or go 'public' and wait around 3 months or so. Private is around $3,000. It is 'day surgery'..... in and out the same day.
I wouldn't think it'd cover you on a tourist visa though!!
BruceS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 16:07   #19

Boat: Condor Trimaran 30 foot

My vote, wait...no cataracts yet! Technology changing rapidly. BTW, did u ask the doctor how long these lenses were good for after install? What happens when u r in your early 80's and these lenses possible deteriorate?
alansmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 17:03   #20

Boat: 2018 Seadoo GTX 230

Thumbs up for lasiks I had in 1999. Still can see 20/25. I would get the wizz bang lens when the time comes.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 17:33   #21

Boat: yorktown custom 40' cutter

blind as a bat my whole life. took a racquetball to the eye a year ago and had retina surgery which led to a cataract so lens replacement followed. 20-15 in that eye now but had a problem putting the two images together in my brain - forget what its called but its a known side affect. so had the other lens replaced (sprung for the custom one due to astigmatism) and all i can say is do it - do it now. no more fumbling for glasses, swimming/surfing is a breeze, the night sky is crystal clear. youll need readers because they cut your focusing muscles to get the OEM lens out, but were all needing readers these days anyway.

been playing a high level game of racquetball for over 40 years, kinda wish i got hit in the eye a long time ago...
robwilk37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 17:55   #22

This is really a no-brainer. My son, age 35, had both of his lenses replaced 6 months ago to avoid the necessity of having to wear contacts or glasses. He had lasik surgery 15 years ago, and needed a touch-up that was unavailable because his cornea was now too thin. The only option was self-pay for lens replacement (too young for cataracts so insurance won't cover) or wait 30 years for cataracts. He chose to have better eyesight now without the hassle of glasses/contacts and paid around 12K for accommodating lenses (they accommodate for both near and far vision). He is very happy with the result. A friend, age 59, had multifocal lens implant done 5 months ago, also extremely happy with the results. Good vision without the hassles. I'm 67, and in 3 days will have the same implants, a Symfony brand multifocal lens that will correct for presbyopia and let me see near and far (may need some glasses for readers, but right now I can't read a menu or a wine label without readers, so have not much to lose), with both eyes being done at the same time. About 6K over the same monofocal implants. The technology is very good today. At age 61, don't wait for the best technology. It will occur after you're dead. Today's is plenty good enough, and if it's not good enough, it can be re-done. I would go ahead and do it if I were you.
rotaxmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 18:05   #23

One other thing, your prescription shouldn't ever change after lens implants. There is no guarantee on any procedure, but the odds are greatly in your favor.
rotaxmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 18:32   #24

I have had IOL Surgery for both eyes with multi-focal lens. Quick painless and other then gritty eyes for a few days and 2 months of putting drops in your eyes (still not 2 months for me yet) I know already that my vision has improved better than 20/20 by post operative testing. With no more glasses to sail in foul weather I will be a miles better off and safer to the general marine traffic fraternity . As it is pointed out very clearly there are no guarantees but for me I am improving by the day.
tonyandwendy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 18:48   #25

Boat: Lagoon 38

I had a eye injury and retina surgery about 20 years ago. About a year later a cataract develop, which is common after retina surgery, then had to have cataract surgery in the same eye. I have always needed glasses or contacts in both eyes. Over time I needed correction in the eye that had the cataract surgery and was able to use a soft contact lens in that eye. I wear contacts in both eyes and have 20/20 vision. My son had lasik a couple of weeks ago and is very happy with the results. No star bursts, no hallow etc. I was happy with my surgery BUT if I just needed correction I think I would go with lasik. My two cents worth.
Greg H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 10:15   #26

Boat: Pacific 38

Hi there
I had lenses for over 40 years ( very strong myope -12 ) 2 month ago Cateract Op. Partly because of beginning cataract in one eye but partly for same reason as you.
Very succesful. Vision better than I have ever experienced before
Jan Beydals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 10:45   #27

Boat: No more boat (my medical, not the boat's)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotaxmax View Post
One other thing, your prescription shouldn't ever change after lens implants. There is no guarantee on any procedure, but the odds are greatly in your favor.
I believe this to be incorrect. There are factors other than lenses that cause changes in vision. Presumably most are curable correctable with glasses, contacts, surgery, and/or medication.
Old 08-10-2016, 11:16   #28

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

If you've had LASIK, & the MD cut a flap in order to do it, how tough is it to have this kind of thing done now?

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 19:21   #29

Boat: Island Packet 32

Go to Key Whitman, they're near you and have done thousands. It's easy to get to on Central here in Dallas.
Old 13-10-2016, 18:55   #30

Boat: Lots of boats.

At 60, my eyes are constantly changing, surprisingly for the better. Although my close-up vision has deteriorated (since I was 40), it is still good enough to read everything except the smallest text without glasses. And my distance vision is good enough to drive and read most signs during the day. Its not good enough to give me confidence driving fast at night, but is good enough that I often go through the day without glasses at all. Maybe by 70, I will have 20/20! Just lucky I guess. But glad I didn't have surgery the first time I was tempted 10-15 years ago.
hsi88 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
men