Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-09-2006, 11:05   #16

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Good luck to you Mark!
Regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 16:22   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
Have you talked it over....

Have you talked over the issues with your granddaughter.
I have (over more years than I care to discuss) taught many 13 year olds and I have found that is a very good idea to get a handle on what they would like before making any decissions that would affect them.
From the tennor of your post it is possible that she has not had an enjoyable experience in her current social group or her school environment.
You may find that she welcomes the chance to interact with positive peers in a home schooling environment.
Certainly if she has been involved with "bad elements" in the past this could be managed much better in the cruising community.
If you do have a discussion don't forget the primary management tool of bribery.
You could find that a willing active crew member makes the difference between being able to cruise and not going anywhere. Some careful training may be involved.
I have found that the vast majority of 13 yr olds to be a delight to work with.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 21:50   #18

Boat: Sceptre 41
Mark:

Limited experience with 13 year olds but I just went sailing with one yesterday. Other times I've been with her she was snippy to her parents and wouldn't play with any kids unless they met her definition of "cool" After being able to spend time with her parents alone (the 3 hour drive to the boat) and five hours of sailing including a 1.5 hour beat in 25 knots, then sailing around Angel Island, Alcatraz, across the GG Bridge, down the SF City front, and back to Berkely she was a delight to the other kids aged 8,9, and 11 and her parents. BTW wife homeschools our 9 year old b/c she is dyslexic and school only takes about two hours a day. She helps me build our house if Mom has errands to run. She can run siding measure with a tape and is a very good hand in general. She enjoys being on the jobsite and learning things. You could see if your grandaughter would enjoy helping you fix the boat up after she gets her schooling done. Worth a try before you give up the dream.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote