Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-07-2018, 22:32   #106

Boat: Catalina 470
Re: Life Raft for Coastal...Yes or No?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmacdonald View Post
I'm happy with a dinghy and EPIRB even for offshore passages. I'm not accident prone though.
You don't understand the definition of "accident". If you don't think it can happen to you then you are very much tempting fate. Humble is one if the most important qualities of seamanship.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 03:45   #107
cruiser

We’re using a six person dinghy with an outboard, not kayaks. We wear PFD’s and the water temp is 60-65 degrees, not 46 degrees. I also wear an Ocean Rodeo Ignite drysuit when and if the conditions deteriorate. We also use a lifesling and have a sugar scoop stern with boarding ladder in case of a man overboard situation. Halyards can also be used for a MOB retrieval, we recently used a halyard to bring aboard a 900lb generator.

Not sure why some think the kayaker example is relevant.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 06:46   #108

Boat: 2016 Bayliner Element

Hello,
The body will not create any appreciable heat in cold water. Warm clothing and huddling will give you the best chance of survival. Swimming will only kill you quicker.
Chas
Chas.7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 07:54   #109

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by daletournier View Post
You don't understand the definition of "accident". If you don't think it can happen to you then you are very much tempting fate. Humble is one of the most important qualities of seamanship.
Probably true, but this isn't the ocean, it's an Internet chat room.
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2018, 06:36   #110
Marine Service Provider

Be careful importing a raft from overseas. If the cylinder is not U.S. DOT approved it is illegal to bring it in to the US unless it is going on a foreign flag vessel. Customs has and will catch this. Secondly it is difficult to get it serviced here since all the service facilities must comply with DOT regulations. The price might look good up front but the problems will soon begin.

Raft manufacturers use a cylinder that is approved in the country that the raft will be sold in. It costs more to get one approved in the US so for the UK market they don't spend the extra money. Yes, the cylinders are different and in many cases the ones not approved in the US are inferior.

How do I know? Used to own a life raft service facility, now retired but am still in touch with the industry so I know rules have not changed. My business also hydro tested cylinders so this was something we handled on a daily basis.
liferaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2018, 05:32   #111
cruiser

Thanks, thanks good to know.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2018, 18:01   #112

Someone already said it depends on the coast.

I am sure most boats the same size as mine sailing on my coast don't feel the need to carry one. The PNW is well severed by SAR response. I used to sail without a life raft and thought nothing of it. I have changed my mind.

I put a post on the fight or flight thread which might explain, why I think what I think.

There are certainly times when a life raft would not be the best option. possibly even times when it would be a dangerous option.

I would rather have the option not to use a life raft I have. Than not have the option because I don't have one available if I need it because all else has failed.
Uricanejack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2018, 18:30   #113

Boat: 2016 Bayliner Element

Hello,
I just want people to consider the danger. This should be based on all the conditions. The weather, the environment, the condition of the vessel, and experience of the captain and crew, and any special circumstances that exist.
Good seamanship is all about safety.
Safety in-depth is the best way to think,
Good luck
Chas.7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2018, 19:39   #114

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by daletournier View Post
You don't understand the definition of "accident". If you don't think it can happen to you then you are very much tempting fate. Humble is one if the most important qualities of seamanship.
I certainly do think it can happen to me, but the odds of getting struck by lightning are much greater. I prefer to focus on prevention.
kmacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2018, 20:16   #115

Boat: 2008 American Tug 34 #116

Perhaps, with many exceptions, we should consider the fire extinguishers as allowing us to fight an orderly and successful retreat to the PDFs and raft.
Old 18-07-2018, 20:37   #116
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Quote:
Originally Posted by KadeyKrogen38 View Post

No one should head off shore with a dingy in davits especially in bad weather.
Depends on the boat, I really hate sanctimonious absolute statements like these
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2018, 02:14   #117

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by liferaft View Post
Be careful importing a raft from overseas. If the cylinder is not U.S. DOT approved it is illegal to bring it in to the US unless it is going on a foreign flag vessel. Customs has and will catch this. Secondly it is difficult to get it serviced here since all the service facilities must comply with DOT regulations. The price might look good up front but the problems will soon begin.

Raft manufacturers use a cylinder that is approved in the country that the raft will be sold in. It costs more to get one approved in the US so for the UK market they don't spend the extra money. Yes, the cylinders are different and in many cases the ones not approved in the US are inferior.

How do I know? Used to own a life raft service facility, now retired but am still in touch with the industry so I know rules have not changed. My business also hydro tested cylinders so this was something we handled on a daily basis.

The certification procedure is different, but the standards are equal or better in the EU as with most things. The "cost" referred to here is not the cost to make it better, but the cost to go through the certification process.

The extra cost of liferafts in the U.S. is almost entirely a matter of products liability insurance, because of our tort system. Ladders, like life rafts, cost double or more in the U.S., compared to the U.K. When you buy a ladder in the U.S., more than half the cost goes to insurance.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2018, 02:19   #118

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmacdonald View Post
I certainly do think it can happen to me, but the odds of getting struck by lightning are much greater. .

You have some actual statistics on that, or did you just make that up?

Purely rhetorical question, as everyone knows the answer.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2018, 04:33   #119

Boat: Tayana 47

Ken, I don’t think you’ll need it for your coastal cruising plans. During bad weather you’ll be tucked into a harbor and are not going to be sailing in conditions your RIB can’t handle and as you say, along a rocky coast, even moderate waves smashing on rocks can make a life raft a place you don’t want to be. Your survival suits combined with a dinghy on davits seem to me the best option.

Along the coast you’ll likely have other boaters nearby and with your epirb, handheld radios,cellphones, and possible a portable satphone, you’ll be able to communicate with them or with coast guard or SAR personnel.

You say you’ve already polled your crew and they’re ok with no life raft so I think you’ve covered all bases.

When you are ready for your Atlantic crossing, at that time you can evaluate whether it makes more sense whether to rent or buy a life raft. I happen to own one, but only because it came with the boat. Keeping it inspected is expensive and a pain. Renting one only for offshore passages is an attractive option.

Have a great cruise and maybe on the way back you can stop by Penobscot Bay for a visit? I’d love to show you around a bit and see your new boat!
jtsailjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2018, 05:08   #120

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
You have some actual statistics on that, or did you just make that up?

Purely rhetorical question, as everyone knows the answer.
A little bit of common sense goes a long way. You should try it. I know, that's asking a lot so I won't hold my breath.

The ocean is my friend, not the boogeyman.
kmacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote