Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-05-2022, 18:07   #1

Lifeboat Coversion

Could anybody tell a curious young sailor whether lifeboats (and I mean decommissioned cruise ship tenders pax 150 etc) can accommodate at least humble sails in a conversion process. Or whether this would be a dangerous tasking even with for example a ferro cement keel or more ballast? The ideal scenario of course would be a catamaran styled new age cruise ship tender/lifeboat, of course due to a less curved upper deck space for safe operation of sails in moderate to rough conditions. Which it seems can be picked up in Europe when they have reached the end of their useful life.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Allmodcams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 18:43   #2

Boat: Swarbrick S-80
Re: Lifeboat Coversion

Well, people have put sails on bathtubs so it could be done:
https://guernseypress.com/top-storie...illy-tub-race/

Should it be done?
Nope.

Apart from the structural issues of mounting the standing and running rigging, it would probably sail like a pig.

I think there would be much better options for a cheap yacht.
ChrisJHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 18:57   #3

Boat: plastic production boat, suitable for deep blue water ;)

Yes, it can be done, like anything else. Will such contraption sail well? Not likely, just with winds abeam or aft of that.
There is local example of that, rigged as a ketch or schooner, 2 stumpy masts, looks like 'jury rigged'.
He sailed approx 400 Nm with it, eh.... very sea worthy. When I am on the water next time will make a photo.
Old 10-05-2022, 18:58   #4
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra

A guy I know got a lifeboat from the S/S Norway cruise ship and planned to convert it to a cruising sail boat.
Big orange tub, probably 45-50 feet.
It was sitting next to his house for years and never got anywhere.
Not a good idea, get an older, well maintained sailboat instead, then go sailing.
Old 10-05-2022, 20:17   #5

Remember that "lifeboats" are not meant to GO anywhere! They are meant to keep people from drowning while they stay in one place, A KNOWN PLACE upon the vast ocean, where they can be found and rescued by a grown-up ship - or a chopper.

The odd person along the way have had the same idea as you. And always found that it's a bad idea!

Now if you really want to run away to sea, and do it cheaply, we'll be very glad to help you, but you may find that you'll have to jettison some odd ideas often held by landsmen :-)!

Contact the Royal Yorkshire Yacht Club. I believe they have something for everybody :-)

https://www.ryyc.org.uk/

Cheers

TrentePieds
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 20:22   #6

This question always reminds me of the shipping container as a house people.
Can it be done?
Sure, anything can. Do you have the money it will take to make it happen?
Because it will cost way more than just buying a normal boat or building a normal house, and in the end it will just be a hey look what i did kinda thing, that sits on the for sale market for years and years, because no matter how much money you throw at it, it will never function as well as something built to purpose.
Caleb_Grey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 21:43   #7

Boat: Volkscruiser

Allmodcams I remember a guy I vaguely knew converting a life boat to a yacht in NZ. When he was crossing the Cook Strait it was rolling so bad the engine overheated from the raw water intake sucking air. The boat sorta sailed and motored ok in the right conditions.
Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 22:14   #8

Boat: Dean 440 13.4m catamaran

remember, no lifeboat built in the last 40 years or so looks anything like the olden days life clinker hull double ended ships boats that COULD sail.

a modern lifeboat looks like this

Click image for larger version

Name:	download.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	7.9 KB
ID:	257569

as someone else mentioned : they are designed to move a short distance away from a sinking ship and then bob about until the cavalry gets there. won't sail worth mentioning and motoring is only slightly better

cheers,
Old 11-05-2022, 01:50   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fore and Aft View Post
Allmodcams I remember a guy I vaguely knew converting a life boat to a yacht in NZ. When he was crossing the Cook Strait it was rolling so bad the engine overheated from the raw water intake sucking air. The boat sorta sailed and motored ok in the right conditions.
Cheers
This is what I thought, sounds like a cool idea but is probably more dangerous than anything.
Old 11-05-2022, 01:52   #10

Yeah I thought as much, thanks for the advice
Old 11-05-2022, 03:49   #11

Boat: Hinckley 49, Evening Star, originally owned by Lawrence Rockefeller

Shackleton sailed one for a bit in a dodgy part of the world, so I would say yes. For real world experience ask Tim Jarvis as he reinacted the trip
Markhunter1097 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2022, 04:23   #12

Boat: Volkscruiser

Markhunter funny, I just picked up the book Tim wrote about the voyage in a Charity shop for $2 today. That's a crazy voyage in a 7 meter life boat.
Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2022, 05:33   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markhunter1097 View Post
Shackleton sailed one for a bit in a dodgy part of the world, so I would say yes. For real world experience ask Tim Jarvis as he reinacted the trip
If you find a 1800's vintage lifeboat in good condition, maybe. Modern lifeboats are wildly different animals.

To the OP: People who build their own boats typically find that the hull is only around 20-30% of the cost & labor. It's all the fiddly bits that take time and dollars.

You would be far better to find a good solid sailing hull that needs to be completely rebuilt. They are around for next to nothing as it costs the marinas money to have it broken up and taken to the landfill.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat