Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-04-2020, 17:02   #61

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter
Re: Liferaft Storage, no good choices.

@CassidyNZ: I was really answering your comment about the number of bolts, and pointed out that the number is irrelevant. Different numbers of bolts with different designs can perform comparably. And I was agreeing that the strength of the bolts in any decent design will far exceed any realistic situation, including rollovers. For my two outboard blocks, where the smaller bolts pass through to hold the rack to the block, and the larger bolt passes through the block, roof and backing plate, the teak block is a critical design issue, along with the backing plate and coach roof. I'm fairly confident that it is all strong enough, but if it did fail I think the smaller, round backing plates on the large bolts might overload the coach roof first - I just don't see that as at all likely even in a roll-over. Certainly I would bet on this over a raft mounted on a railing - not even close in strength. A man thrown against a railing can seriously bend it - to hold a raft it would need to be engineered for purpose, not just clamped onto the railing. (I can already hear it: yes, the impulse impact of a moving body would be pretty high compared to the load of an attached cannister - I was just pointing out that railings have their limits, and not all that high either).

Greg
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2020, 19:21   #62

Boat: Gulfstar 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by CassidyNZ View Post
Oh, and the boat in the article was not rolled, just knocked down.
Not to belabor the point, but it wasn't knocked down, it was thrown by a rogue wave, which is a different scenario. You really don't know any better than I do how the raft was attached, so you are only guessing. The point I am making is that it has happened, and can happen and is something to consider - two other posters here have already reported the same thing happeneing to deck mounted rafts. More information is better than less, and everyone can choose their own comfort level.

As for stern rail mounting, I would never do that. I have seen stern rails broken off from knockdowns just from having an outboard on them.
Lazerbrains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2020, 07:29   #63

Boat: 1979 Bristol 35.5 CB

Stern rail just is not an option on my boat, unless I build a new rail and reposition other things to less desirable locations.

Over hatch possible but seems quite exposed requiring a very robust cradle and attachments.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4B9D5CFF-8FB0-4EC1-8996-5284E2923E56.jpeg
Views:	148
Size:	347.8 KB
ID:	213877   Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	445.3 KB
ID:	213882  

sanibel sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2020, 07:35   #64

Boat: 1979 Bristol 35.5 CB

I think, for now, in the cockpit as a bridge deck, sitting up on a small rack to keep it off the floor, is the least distasteful option

Last picture is upside down
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	657FED58-8145-45E6-B904-07E5D8022BCB.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	427.6 KB
ID:	213885   Click image for larger version

Name:	3B6A7C7B-91DC-417D-B5AE-07689B2CAEB2.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	414.0 KB
ID:	213886  

Name:	53B91E2E-3CAF-4E7F-B1B0-ED89FA3FEEF7.jpeg
Views:	117
Size:	283.8 KB
ID:	213887   Click image for larger version

Name:	D455D9BA-F49C-49A2-9CE3-676C7ED51DDC.jpeg
Views:	104
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	213888  

sanibel sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2020, 15:39   #65

Boat: 50’ Bavaria

Looks good to me. I’d be tempted to build some kind of bench insert above it, to make a handy seat and (mostly) to avoid the temptation to stand on it. You can easily move both to an inside location when you’ve finished the passage.

Don’t forget to secure it fairly well, even where it is. You don’t want it to go awol in a knockdown or rollover.
Tillsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2020, 15:56   #66

Boat: Columbia 50

you could have a cradle made which stands a few inches off the deck at it's front, so it could sit on the seahood and OVER the little port in front of the seahood, probably with minimal interference to a 45 degree open.

or offset over the turning blocks to one side or the other, aft enough for the vang to not hit it.

Matt
mlydon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2020, 06:16   #67

Boat: Morgan Moorings 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlydon View Post
you could have a cradle made which stands a few inches off the deck at it's front, so it could sit on the seahood and OVER the little port in front of the seahood, probably with minimal interference to a 45 degree open.

or offset over the turning blocks to one side or the other, aft enough for the vang to not hit it.

Matt
This.
DDabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 08:46   #68

I stored my valise type liferaft in the cockpit lazarette/locker: Beneteau 440.
argonauta1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 14:19   #69

Boat: Farr 40 (Racing), Contest 43 (Cruising)

I'm concerned with the exact same dilemma. Contest Yachts designed the liferaft locker right under the (center) cockpit sole (can be easily opened up). I'm far from being happy with that location, but any on deck location may risk the liferaft, except maybe the very aft deck with a strong container mounted to the rail and deck - quite ugly, but basically in the right position for deployment. The aft lazarettes are large but not dry enough.

In your case, if you can position the liferaft in the cockpit, well secured and covered, it is, to my opinion, the better choice - part of our endless compromises...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanibel sailor View Post
I am trying to figure out the best storage location during passages for my 4 man valise liferaft. There seems to be no good place for it. Probably a common problem. I don't really want to spend the money on a different raft.
The valise would drive the decision towards down below or in a cockpit locker. It will not fit in the lazarette. There is no afterdeck. The thing is fairly heavy (85 lbs) and bulky (28 X 16 X 15 inches). I have considered swapping the steel tank for an aluminum scuba tank, but was told that the service people would not do that for certification reasons. It is a tight fit thru the cockpit locker lid and I imagine it would tend to get buried under other stuff in there. Between the weight and the tight fit, I am concerned about being able to pull it out quickly if needed on short notice. Only place down below would be in the quarter berth, which has less tight access but same issues with getting buried as well as now the weight needs to be brought up on deck. Additionally, it is adjacent to the galley and engine room, both likely fire locations which is a likely abandon ship cause. It could go in the V berth, but that would be a straight up free lift out the forward hatch which seems tough.

So I am looking for an on deck location despite the valise. There is no good location for a canister raft either. QaSDThere is no room aft of the mast due to vang, mainsheet traveler, deck hatch and companionway cover. No room forward of the mast either. It could conceivably be forward of the cabin trunk on the foredeck, but that seems a poor choice due to exposure to solid water coming aboard.
The last choice I see is in the cockpit footwell. Quite in the way, but it just fits, quickly accessible, and has the benefit of reducing cockpit volume. I do not have a bridge deck and the sill is low. Lowest washboard is to be secured in place. I would make a little rack to keep it a couple of inches off the floor so water could drain easily. It clears the engine access hatch in the floor. A Sunbrella cover would help keep rain and spray off it. Move it to the foredeck when anchored.
Final choice would be to ditch it, but I do not have a hard dinghy, nor good deck storage space for the dinghy when inflated and blowing up an inflatable on short notice is not a workable solution.

I would be interested in how others have solved this dilemma.
Old 01-05-2020, 15:48   #70

I have a valise LR and ended up fabricating a fiberglass box for it that hangs off of the stern pulpit. I fabricated a snap-fastener flip lid for it. The wife put blue sunbrella on it and it looks good. It is out of my way and yet is right there near the helm/cockpit where I spend a lot of time. It is not perfect for every disaster scenario but then what location is? My boat's stern pulpit is rock solid - if yours is not then i would make it so. Good luck.
Jack50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 17:28   #71

Boat: Ocean Spirit 34 - Catamaran

This is a Revere Cased in a cradle. Sailed across Pacific to NZ like this.

A valise would need a cover in this case.
I have since removed it and have a valise in cockpit locker.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Life Raft 1.jpg
Views:	506
Size:	145.1 KB
ID:	214186   Click image for larger version

Name:	Life Raft 2.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	399.8 KB
ID:	214187  

Kurlie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 17:52   #72

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

For the OP's boat, with its pinched stern, I, too, think the cockpit location is the most workable. Will have to be cinched down, but using low profile "saddles" (rectangular, rather than round pad eyes), and straps should do it. With the board over it. The board could be held down by the heavy duty 3 inch velcro, at its outboard edges, glued down with (YES) 5200, after careful cleansing of both surfaces. In effect, it makes getting a wave below even harder, so that's a plus, and, more important, it does not obscure the view forward through the dodger. [There are times when one wants to shelter behind the dodger and look forward through it, rather than over and get soaked.]

Ann
Old 01-05-2020, 19:42   #73

Boat: J/42

Bridge deck seems like the winner. My only reservation about that space is in case of fire. Fire engulfs the cockpit by default, due to windage. By the time you’re ready to abandon ship, that position is unreachable. So in that model, in case of fire, step one should be “deploy or stage the life raft” then fight the fire.
toddster8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 20:09   #74
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discovery 15797 View Post
You are exactly correct sir! I bet you also learned it's also very uncomfortable putting 4 adults into a 4-person life raft!

I know you don't want to change. But, after the safety at sea course I decided to go with the Winslow 6-person Super Light Offshore Plus in what they call a hard pack. Total weight just over 65 lbs. It is much smaller and more easily manageable compared to the Revere and Viking IMHO. The hard pack is not a fiberglass or heavy plastic valise, but a lightweight plastic similar to the Lifesling hardback. It's not meant to be stored permanently on deck. Underway I place my plastic encased life raft on the lazarette seat behind the binnacle, secure the release cord/pennant, and secure the pack with a quick release strap. I put a cushioned seat on top...and it's a great watch position. At anchor I remove the case and put it inside beside the companionway stairs to prevent theft. I also chose not to mount on deck for reasons previously stated.

Also, imho, the foredeck is the worse place to put a life raft....in a raging sea and sinking boat...nobody is running towards the bow.
Winslow is top stuff. Most airplanes have winslows.
geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
storage, liferaft