Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-04-2020, 05:44   #1

Boat: 1979 Bristol 35.5 CB
Liferaft Storage, no good choices.

I am trying to figure out the best storage location during passages for my 4 man valise liferaft. There seems to be no good place for it. Probably a common problem. I don't really want to spend the money on a different raft.
The valise would drive the decision towards down below or in a cockpit locker. It will not fit in the lazarette. There is no afterdeck. The thing is fairly heavy (85 lbs) and bulky (28 X 16 X 15 inches). I have considered swapping the steel tank for an aluminum scuba tank, but was told that the service people would not do that for certification reasons. It is a tight fit thru the cockpit locker lid and I imagine it would tend to get buried under other stuff in there. Between the weight and the tight fit, I am concerned about being able to pull it out quickly if needed on short notice. Only place down below would be in the quarter berth, which has less tight access but same issues with getting buried as well as now the weight needs to be brought up on deck. Additionally, it is adjacent to the galley and engine room, both likely fire locations which is a likely abandon ship cause. It could go in the V berth, but that would be a straight up free lift out the forward hatch which seems tough.

So I am looking for an on deck location despite the valise. There is no good location for a canister raft either. QaSDThere is no room aft of the mast due to vang, mainsheet traveler, deck hatch and companionway cover. No room forward of the mast either. It could conceivably be forward of the cabin trunk on the foredeck, but that seems a poor choice due to exposure to solid water coming aboard.
The last choice I see is in the cockpit footwell. Quite in the way, but it just fits, quickly accessible, and has the benefit of reducing cockpit volume. I do not have a bridge deck and the sill is low. Lowest washboard is to be secured in place. I would make a little rack to keep it a couple of inches off the floor so water could drain easily. It clears the engine access hatch in the floor. A Sunbrella cover would help keep rain and spray off it. Move it to the foredeck when anchored.
Final choice would be to ditch it, but I do not have a hard dinghy, nor good deck storage space for the dinghy when inflated and blowing up an inflatable on short notice is not a workable solution.

I would be interested in how others have solved this dilemma.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	477
Size:	420.9 KB
ID:	213627  
sanibel sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2020, 06:00   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat
Re: LIFERAFT STORAGE, no good choices.

If it's a vacuum sealed one, on deck under sunbrella should be OK.

Maybe down on the cabin floor when underway and under a bunk in port? Surely it has a bit of buoyancy, concrete has about 1/3 so as the cabin fills with water should be easy to slide out into the cockpit with the rising water.

I've encountered quite a few boats that have lost liferafts that were even in the hard packs on deck.
Old 25-04-2020, 06:03   #3

Other spots
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	992919F6-D453-42E0-8D9C-473A566B9AC8.jpg
Views:	289
Size:	432.3 KB
ID:	213628   Click image for larger version

Name:	585C3858-C6C1-4B90-81AC-EB45FC25299F.jpg
Views:	293
Size:	421.9 KB
ID:	213629  

Name:	EAA5D2B9-2484-425B-BA48-DB37817C7D12.jpg
Views:	293
Size:	420.3 KB
ID:	213630   Click image for larger version

Name:	EC9F54F4-9565-45C7-B3C9-57B24F06AC60.jpg
Views:	309
Size:	444.0 KB
ID:	213631  

Name:	72559B5B-F626-44F6-96D6-BD81A7889247.jpg
Views:	318
Size:	447.3 KB
ID:	213632  
Old 25-04-2020, 06:08   #4

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Things you need to know...

1) a dive tank has the wrong fitting.
2) the original tank uses a special air combination so it doesn’t freeze on expulsion.
3) the tank has a special volume of air so it doesn’t over inflate
4) the original tank has a puncher seal/valve, once used has to be replaced
5) they self inflate when you throw them overboard after attaching the lanyard to something onboard.
6) read all the instructions before mounting

Have you considered hanging it over the aft rail in a cradle?
Do you have a picture of the Life raft?
Old 25-04-2020, 06:47   #5

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20
Re: Liferaft Storage, no good choices.

Are you required to have the liferaft for insurance or for a rally?
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2020, 07:06   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelie View Post
Are you required to have the liferaft for insurance or for a rally?
No and if solo, I would likely take a chance but don’t think I can do so with others.
Old 25-04-2020, 07:08   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
Things you need to know...

1) a dive tank has the wrong fitting.
2) the original tank uses a special air combination so it doesn’t freeze on expulsion.
3) the tank has a special volume of air so it doesn’t over inflate
4) the original tank has a puncher seal/valve, once used has to be replaced
5) they self inflate when you throw them overboard after attaching the lanyard to something onboard.
6) read all the instructions before mounting

Have you considered hanging it over the aft rail in a cradle?
Do you have a picture of the Life raft?
Thanks for tank info. I have already abandoned the aluminum tank idea.

There is no room on the stern rail, I have a monitor Windvane mounted back there, plus the rail is not robust enough.
Old 25-04-2020, 07:56   #8

Boat: Gulfstar 37

Keep in mind that if you get 360ed you have a good chance of losing the liferaft when you possibly could need it most if you have it on deck or in cockpit. I have read reports of even bolted down cannister types being lost during a rollover, ripped clean off - same for stern mounted. I would think lazarette would be a poor choice as well unless your lazarette is quite shallow. I have a valise myself and keep it in the quarterberth during passage, and make sure not to put anything on top. It is close to my companionway and I can have it on deck quickly. If you are concerned about engine fire, get a halo system - they are worth the peace of mind.
Lazerbrains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2020, 07:57   #9

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

How about forward of the cabin, in front of that little portal?
You would have to rig some deck fittings to hold it in place for breaking waves.
Old 25-04-2020, 07:59   #10

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanibel sailor View Post
No and if solo, I would likely take a chance but don’t think I can do so with others.
https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ml#post2809403
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2020, 08:27   #11

I always figure, that since the bow is usually the last thing to go under on a sinking boat, that the closer you can store the life raft to the bow, the better.
Old 25-04-2020, 09:33   #12

Picture of raft. Offshore, double floor, etc contribute to weight.

Did the US Sailing Safety at Sea course which includes getting into a raft from the water while in foulies, boots and inflated PFD. Eye opening. Likely impossible into a hard dinghy, very difficult into inflatable dink I bet.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1FB42DCD-3CBE-4251-836C-9B04EC305D96.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	442.3 KB
ID:	213664  
Old 25-04-2020, 09:42   #13

Boat: Lagoon 400

I think that the stern rail should be strong enough to hold the liferaft. If it is not strong for the raft is it strong enough for a crew member being flung against it?
I strongly advice against keeping the raft below.
I was on a boat that sunk within 10 minutes since discovery of water inside! The L/R was mounted behind the mast and was deployed within 5-6 minutes. In our case at least, there would be no way (or at least very difficult) to bring the L/R from below, as the saloon was full of water higher than our knees within minutes that were used to find and bring survival stuff from below (water, comms, etc).
Maybe your boat needs some changes but I stress may opinion that you must find solution to mount the L/R in an highly accessible position. E.g. build a s/s frame with through deck enforcements above the forward hatch (that will be closed during the crossing).
Old 25-04-2020, 09:51   #14

Boat: J/42

It looks to me like your best option is just plan on not using that midship hatch when off-shore, and lash the raft in some covering down over it. Or on a small platform that lets you still crack open the hatch.

I have very similar problem and have almost decided to not replace the raft when it expires. (Perhaps rig the scuba pony to the dinghy for rapid partial-inflation, which is an option that Zodiac actually used to offer.) The valise fits comfortably on a ledge in the q-berth, but it might be a bear to get it out of there - especially in case of an engine-room fire.

IIRC, the actual rules (where they apply) state that a valise raft must be stored in a dedicated cockpit locker. Also according to "the rules" my cockpit is too large. (Is yours?) QED - wall-off part of the footwell to reduce volume and create a big locker. However, I have a tiller, with just the right amount of room aft of the rudder post. Just have to re-plumb the drains. More difficult with a wheel pedestal, unless you have room to add a big fat bridge deck.
toddster8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2020, 09:57   #15

Boat: Catalina & Maycraft

I have a valise liferaft too, and wound up going through the same storage dilemna. Ultimately, I decided access and sufficient lifting area was most important, and I just found a place near the inner companionway to keep it. If you throw a towel or loose cover over it, it blends in much better than the blaze orange. When you need it, things may be topsy-turvy, and I think you need an easy and straight motion to get it out on deck.
Hardhead is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
storage, liferaft