Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-10-2020, 19:18   #1

Boat: Union Polaris cutter 36'
Lifting my engine out with the boom

Howdy,
I know my sailing rigging is strong. I have a 36' Union Polaris cutter. My 3 cyl Isuzu marine diesel needs a rebuild. I'm thinking I can lift it out of the engine compartment and swing it overboard to another vessel to take it to shore. I think it weighs about 450 lbs. Anybody have any experience with this?
Buzoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 19:32   #2

Boat: Cal 40 (sold). Still have a Hobie 20
Re: Lifting my engine out with the boom

Other threads -

https://cse.google.com/cse?siteurl=w...ith+boom&sa=Go
cal40john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 21:36   #3

Boat: Hans Christian 43

I did this on an alberg 37, a westerbeke (Perkins) 4-107. Added a second halyard over the lift point on the boom. We lifted the engine with a chain fall. Only real oops was when we swung it over to drop on the dock.... boat heeled significantly and it suddenly swung a bit fast .
Rowglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 21:51   #4

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

Took the old engine out and put a new engine in just a couple of months ago, all with the boat sitting in it's berth and the boom used as a crane. Used a chain hoist for lifting and a small lever block for tilting and shifting the engine as required to maneuver it through the companion way and engine bay.
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 22:07   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Think I just figured out why the boom on my new to me boat had a bow in it. New diesel had recently been installed. Bet they didn't shift the halyard/topping lift from the end of the boom to the lift point for the engine.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 01:42   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

I did the same as some above when removing a Westerbeke. I agree with the importance of supporting the boom at the lift point; however, I found it necessary to move this lift point during the process. Raising the engine out of the companionway was at a point closer to the mast, but the point on the boom to reach the dock was at the end of the boom. To manage this I rigged an "outhaul" to slide the engine and the lift point halyard aft. This move down the boom was made easier by having a few strong friends to relieve some weight of the engine.
Old 02-10-2020, 02:19   #7

Boat: Dean 440 13.4m catamaran

second the advice given above

we recently lifted one of our 4JH2TE yanmars (4 cyc eng) using the boom and a chain block.

no real problem except you really need to tie off the topping lift or halyard at the point on the boom from which the engine is being lifted, allow for rope stretch and use guys fore and aft to hold boom in position

cheers,
Old 02-10-2020, 02:41   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

With the correct halyard position it is no problem, although if are you not biting your fingernails it is probably not your boat .

A friend of mine replaced his engine at anchor using the boom. Removing the old engine went well, but when preparing to lift the new engine out of the tender he managed to slash one of its tubes while cutting away the engine’s protective packaging . The tender nearly sank with the brand new engine.

On our new boat we installed a reinforced lifting point in the pilothouse roof directly above the engine. It is sometimes helpful to be able to quickly and simply raise the engine even when there is no need to remove the engine completely. An alternative is to add a small hole and cap in the roof or cockpit floor (depending on the engine location) large enough to feed a rope directly above the engine balance point to the boom.

Finally, make sure the engine is not wider than the companionway. On many modern boats the engine is installed before the deck is added. Sometimes the engine cannot be taken out even after removing parts such as the alternator.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 02:55   #9

Boat: Westerly Centaur 26

Second/Third/Whatever moving that halyard to the lift point on the boom:
https://youtu.be/QMUvnwGyp4A
TheLuckyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 03:05   #10
Senior Cruiser

Boat: Bathtub

We used the boom on our Hallberg-Rassy Rasmus to swap engines. Ran the main halyard to a sling strap just above the lift point on the boom and hung the hoist off of that strap.

I lashed the gooseneck with some extra line just in case it decided to break in compression while I had the engine up in the air above the hull. Whatever you do don't drop it...
BlackHeron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 06:20   #11

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)

Use the halyard for lifting throw handybillies rigged along the boom to both directions. Halyard takes all the weight and boom with handybillies only the side load for adjusting the lift point along the boom and secures that with a sudden heeling wont sling the engine around. Sideways use the mainsheet and preventer..
TeddyDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 08:23   #12

Boat: 35ft classic ketch/yawl.
Send a message via Skype™ to roland stockham

Back up the lift with a halyard (working load = engine weight) run to a sing above the point where the load is suspended to prevent bending the boom. Check the goose neck which takes a compressive load. Raising the boom from horizontal puts more load on the goose neck and less on the halyard. If the halyard is lead aft from the mast foot the turning block will take a substantial load, does it have a decent backing plate? You should then be fine
roland stockham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 10:38   #13

Boat: 2010 Jeanneau SO 44i

Lots covered by others, my 2 cents, make sure you have the height to clear the cabin roof with the engine and the hoist and slings, getting it up only to have to go back down because you don’t clear it by an inch sucks...
you can’t let the air out of the tires😭🤓.
Kd9truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 11:14   #14

Boat: Gemini 105Mc+
Send a message via Skype™ to Sailorman Ed

My boom wasn't quite long enough so added a short piece of smaller mast to the end and attached the halyard to that...worked fine but collapsed the masthead sheave and jammed the halyard...it was old and due for replacement anyways. Got someone to custom machine 2 new sheaves and oil impregnated bronze bearing for a very reasonable cost.
Yanmar 2GM20 with SD20 saildrive attached- 1 unit.
Sailorman Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 11:28   #15

Boat: 24ft Bristol Corsair
Send a message via MSN to brendanwalls Send a message via Yahoo to brendanwalls Send a message via Skype™ to brendanwalls

I did it last week with my 110lb outboard using the main halyard dropping over leech block. I concur with the heeling fun and sudden drop to the dock, almost knocking my wheelbarrow into the drink. I shall use this page's advice for the reinstall. I don't bench press more than 80lb so stooping into a lazarette and doing it by hand isn't an option.
brendanwalls is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine, lift