Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-03-2021, 05:50   #1

Boat: 1987 Sabre 42 C/B
Light air sail

I have a 1987 Sabre 42 and am getting a sail for light air. I am trying to decide between a light air genoa made from 2.5 oz challenge code zero laminate or an actual "code" type of sail. I am leaning towards the latter but that will involve adding some type of sprit or other creative way to tack the sail/furler forward of the genoa furler. This boat does not have much room forward of the existing furler and will require some type of sprit. Searching around on the internet I can't many examples of this being done on boats like mine. Is there a reason? Am I missing something in the idea of adding this type of sail to this type of boat?

I want something that I can use in light air and can sail at least 50 degrees up wind. I am not looking for a specific reaching/downwind sail.

Thanks for any guidance given.

Foster
flee27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 06:08   #2

Boat: LeComte NorthEast 38
Re: Light air sail

if you went with a genoa, would you always leave it on the furler? if yes, does it mean you will always be doing only light air sailing? if not, are you going to be switching around between your heavy and light air sails on the furler?

the PO had a 155% genoa made of heavy cloth, which made little sense to me: in light air it would just hang and not fill out; in heavy air it was too big. so last year i had a 125% genoa made, and am working on adding a bowsprit for the asym spin (which also came with the boat, but i think will be easier to fly off the sprit than from under the bow pulpit).

separately, the old genoa was a laminate and developed mold under the laminate, which i couldn't get rid of. took it to the cleaners, they stopped the growth, but the sail looks dirty.

anton
antoha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 06:19   #3

Not always light air sailing so yes this option would require changing headsails based on the days wind offering. I am currently sailing on a lake and normally it will be light to no wind for the summer months. And normally the day doesn't vary a lot. Not like on the coast where you get shore and ocean breezes through out the day.

My thinking beside the obvious pain in the back side changing the sail can be is if the "code" type of sail is on a single line furler I can use it more. On days that the wind is up a little I would have the option of doing windward work the the genoa and then use the code sail for broad reaching.

Foster
Old 12-03-2021, 06:22   #4

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

Lots of things to think about before pulling the trigger.
If you get a genoa, I assume it will be for the roller. Will you want to switch out sails to be able to use it? (seems like a pain to me.)
So it leaves you with the either a code zero or a gennaker designed for more upwind sailing.
Do you have a heavy bow roller? This could be set up a attachment point forward of the furler.
I know many like the code zero furler but the hardware is a major expense. The gennaker can be simpler set up and doused w/a less expensive sock/snuffer.
Would really consider how much you will use the light air sail and the ease of use.

Under the category of ease of use, would also think about the weight of the sail cloth. A 2.5 oz. cloth for a good sized sail will be much heavier to get up on deck than a 1.5 oz. when you want to use it.
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 06:25   #5

Boat: Farr 43`

One solution is an "A" frame pivoting upwards from the topsides.
A should be wide enough to clear the pulpit when raised to reduce LOA at the marina, attaching the code furler and anchoring.

Bobstay with purchase will be required to hold it down.

Another solution is to use a pole for symmetric spinnaker.
Secure in the ahead position low to the deck with two fore guys.
Downside is the setup & takedown effort and forward hatch obstruction is
Rucksta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 06:28   #6

Bill O. I agree with you points. Changing the head sail would be somewhat of a pain. Some of this would translate into how much the sail would get used. Or a day deciding to just hang at the dock and not sail instead of changing the headsail. I sail single handed/1/2 crew (wife) a good bit so I am leaning towards the furler over a sock.

The expense is significant for sure. But I would really spend the money on a set up that work well and I was happy with the skimp and not really be happy with the result. At the same time it would suck to spend the money/effort and still not be happy with the result. That is my biggest hang up currently. Not having the specific experience with all of this and trying to make the best decision for my situation.

Thank for helping.

Foster
Old 12-03-2021, 08:31   #7

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

Foster,
You have added additional helpful facts in this thread in where and how you would potentially use it.
Similarly I'm usually the one going forward w/the asym. to work it. This is why I added the point about sail cloth weight. If the sail is too heavy, it will be a chore to get it on deck to set it up (then not used as much).

The code zero would be much easier to set up, deploy and thus used more often. Would get a quote for the whole set up (furler, sail, etc.) and see if it fits your budget.
An old school alternative might be to create a removable inner stay close to the furler with a hank on drifter. With this configuration one can actually tack the sail w/o furling it like you would w/a code zero. Not too common any more, but a very useful sail.
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 11:27   #8

Boat: Outremer 55L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill O View Post
Foster,
You have added additional helpful facts in this thread in where and how you would potentially use it.
Similarly I'm usually the one going forward w/the asym. to work it. This is why I added the point about sail cloth weight. If the sail is too heavy, it will be a chore to get it on deck to set it up (then not used as much).

The code zero would be much easier to set up, deploy and thus used more often. Would get a quote for the whole set up (furler, sail, etc.) and see if it fits your budget.
An old school alternative might be to create a removable inner stay close to the furler with a hank on drifter. With this configuration one can actually tack the sail w/o furling it like you would w/a code zero. Not too common any more, but a very useful sail.

Both good suggestions.

OP, do you want a light drifter type sail to use for really light wind days? If so, hoist it behind the furled genoa just as described above. It doesn’t even have to have a stay as long as the luff is built strong - use the halyard to tension it. It could have a furler for convenience, but if you’re only using it in light airs then hoisting and dropping it whole is fine.

If you can fashion a bowsprit (the A-frame idea is one to explore and would have the added benefit of moving the anchor roller forward, away from your hull if you’re OK to make your boat longer, otherwise the folding up version - an alternative is an offset deck mounted bow pole - check the Selden offering) then a gennaker or flat code-zero on a furler is the more expensive but neater solution. Paint a UV stripe on it (cloth is too heavy for the lightweight material you want to use) and leave it up while cruising, deploying it whenever you want, with the genoa always available. It will need to be furled to tack.

Otherwise, the simplest is to replace your genoa for the summers with a lighter version. This won’t work on the odd windy day, but if you’re day sailing you could swap out the sails.
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail