Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-09-2023, 12:58   #1

Boat: Bristol 41.1
LIGHTNING HIT-NEED RECOMMENDATIONS

We were struck by lightning yesterday, while in a marina in NE Florida. Boat didn't sink, but considerable damage. In pursuing this claim with insurance I need to submit a damage report to adjuster.

Can anyone recommend a qualified Electronics/Electrical firm to do an assessment and cost estimate? I will also need to engage a rigger for the same issues.

I am in Palm Coast, about midway between Daytona and St. Augustine. Anyone with previous good experiences with these contractors, I would be grateful if you made a recommendation.

Thanks.
redsky49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2023, 13:34   #2

Re: LIGHTNING HIT-NEED RECOMMENDATIONS

I feel your pain…. I had started a delivery two months ago from Ft Lauderdale north, and we got hit off Palm Beach. $20,000 later the boat is almost ready to go again.

You are in a tough area for good sailboat technitions. You might try Jason Pinko of Argonaut Rigging https://argonautrigging.com/. I’m sure he can help with a survey from the rigging side.

No recommendations for the electrical side.
SailingHarmonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2023, 15:33   #3

Community Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsky49 View Post
We were struck by lightning yesterday, while in a marina in NE Florida. Boat didn't sink, but considerable damage. In pursuing this claim with insurance I need to submit a damage report to adjuster.

Can anyone recommend a qualified Electronics/Electrical firm to do an assessment and cost estimate? I will also need to engage a rigger for the same issues.

I am in Palm Coast, about midway between Daytona and St. Augustine. Anyone with previous good experiences with these contractors, I would be grateful if you made a recommendation.

Thanks.
Sorry to hear about that! Ouch, never fun.
For riggers in the area check out Rhino Rigging - 772 631 2100 Richard. Good guy who really knows his stuff.
Electrical wise.. sorry, not sure who to send you to.
The Yacht Rigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2023, 16:04   #4

Guidance:

https://www.boatus.com/expert-advice...n-hit-now-what

First Things First
Often, according to Carroll Robertson, vice president of claims for BoatUS Marine Insurance, the extent of the damage from a lightning strike is not immediately apparent. Carroll advises that the first thing that should be done if your boat is struck (after calling BoatUS claims — 800 937-1937) is to get it short-hauled as quickly as possible for a quick assessment of the hull. The reason, Carroll says, is that when lightning exits your boat, it can leave via a through-hull fitting or even through the hull itself. Even if the force of the bolt doesn't blow out a through-hull or cause hull damage, it may cause a gradual leak that could go unnoticed and sink your boat. As part of its sue and labor provision, BoatUS Marine Insurance will pay to have your boat short-hauled to check for damage — the short-haul is not subject to a deductible. Once it's determined that the hull has no leaks, the rest of the boat can be examined for damage.

. . .
Hull Damage
As hard as lightning is on electronics, it can be just as brutal to fiberglass.
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2023, 16:51   #5

I would go to St. Augustine Marine (Also called Windward Marine) and be hauled. They deal with lots of lightening strikes (lots of big cats stored there that get more than their share). They have a very good rigging guy who can do insuarnce estimates. Don't know about electrical but I'm sure there are guys.

I'd let them be the primary point of contact with the insurance company. You really don't want to be cooridianting this yourself. If they need to bring in contractors they can handle that too. Boat yards tend to be good at working with insurance companies because the money is good.

I'm surprised by the insurance company response. Usually they want to send their own adjuster for a major claim - which this is likely to be. Once you know where you are going, I'd call the company and ask if they don't want to send an adjuster.

The great majority of lightning damage to boats these days are not to the hull but to the electronics. The surge gets into the wiring and NMEA2000 networks and destroys everything from engine panels to chartplotters, to bilge pumps, to the microwave. Sometimes large amounts of wiring has to be replaced. Claims of $100,000 are not unsual. For an older Bristol it's possible the damage will exceed the insured value and the insurarnace company may total it.

As mentioned, be sure to leave the claim open for a 6 months to a year as new problems usually crop up.
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2023, 19:57   #6

Boat: Privilege 435

Seconding making sure they leave the claim open. We did our final settlement a little too early and had work that I needed to finish myself that cropped up later.

I’ve heard some folks that wouldn’t let the insurance close the claim until 2-3 years after their post strike refit.
Old 12-09-2023, 17:08   #7

Boat: Bristol 41.1

This really is striking me as strange. The attitude of the adjuster is really a bit too casual for my liking. The problem is, I do myself no favors by antagonizing the guy. He made no suggestion about hauling, and has not authorized a surveyor. He just wants pics, and estimates from contractors I engage. And this is one of the big Insurance companies!

I had a diver inspect the hull this morning, and he could not identify any damage.

The problem I face is that I am not near a haulout facility, the closest is 25 miles to St. Augustine, or 28 miles to Daytona.

Keep in mind I have no depth sounder, primary VHF, essentially all electronics are gone. I would hate to have the engine fail in route (impossible to sail either way). I am not especially confidant about any of my systems. If you are familiar with the ICW between St. Augustine and Daytona you know how narrow and shoaled this route can be.

I think I will go ahead and have assessments by a rigger and an electrics/electronics expert, both of whom I have now contacted. Then bring the boat up to full operating status and only then, finally proceed to haul out. If something untoward should happen in my slip, I have readily available help. That would not be the case motoring up or down the Matanzas River. Plus, if needed, in port I can step off the boat to safety, something that would be more difficult while underway.

I agree about two things:
Subsequent failure of equipment deemed "okay" at initial inspection. Been there, done that.
The need for a haulout, at least an in-sling quick haul to check thoroughly everything below the water line.

I appreciate all the advice. Thank you.
redsky49 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lightning, men