Cruisers Forum

View Poll Results: Number one reason you have not sailed away yet??
Money 94 40.52%
Kids too young or dont want to go 20 8.62%
Spouse says: NO WAY 20 8.62%
Career plans in the way 30 12.93%
Cannot sell house to pay for it 7 3.02%
Fear of unknown 3 1.29%
Other 58 25.00%
Voters: 232. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-10-2007, 21:52   #31

Boat: Leopard 40 catamaran
Send a message via Skype™ to c.spots
The boat isn't built yet, but will move aboard Feb 08. It is finally about to happen!!! The job and women were interfering with the cruising plans, so they are done with (well, maybe not completely). Both were too much fun, and made it difficult to leave. I am 9 years into my 5 year plan.
  • The next lesson is to ignore the financial expert who says you need to work hard for a few more years and make a lot more money so you can retire comfortably.
  • The plan was to sell the house to buy the boat, but in this market, it may be a rental instead.
  • The biggest questions from non sailors are: what about pirates,and what are you going to do about medical insurance? I haven't answered the latter yet, and don't worry about the former.

Life shouldn't be a race to the finish line - enjoy the journey.
c.spots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2007, 02:30   #32
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by c.spots View Post
... I am 9 years into my 5 year plan...
LOVE IT !!!

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2007, 18:41   #33

Boat: Gulfstar 44 Sloop
We have already sailed but it was more the hubby sailing and me and the kids joining when we could. Granted, I am a teacher so I have lots of time off. Youngest is quite un-homeschoolable. He is in Math, Science Engineering and we are English majors but he is in college with, hopefully, a full ride in a year and a half. We have already sold first boat in Australia and bought retirement boat here. Fixing her up (Gulfstar 44 Sloop) and will be ready to go in a few years. Meanwhile, we live in South Florida so Bahama trips will hold us. Diving is great here and we are just holding on till the departure date that we know is coming. Housing market for selling is an issue.
Old 26-10-2007, 04:40   #34

Boat: Custom Finch 46 - Airielle
Things are falling into place, but it will still be 3 to 5 years before the time is right. We now plan to live aboard on a much larger boat than I had imagined in my cruising dreams, but it is starting to make sense to me. It is very important to my wife to be able to have family and friends join us (even if they never do).

In the meantime, we can cruise all over the East coast before I actually leave full employment. This may actually satisfy my primal urge to cruise away forever, who knows?
swabbmob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 09:32   #35

Boat: Warwick Cardinal Centre Cockpit 46 - S/V "Spirit"
The poll results are interesting. The fact that money plays a role 40% of the time is not surprising. The fact that “other” reasons also represent a 40% segment seems to indicate that quite a few are following a specific plan towards achieving their goal and will, in due time, succeed in doing so.

I placed myself in the “other” category. It will be a couple of years before I retire and I’ll use the time both upgrading and maintaining Spirit, as well as sailing several times a year in SE Asia. My small kids are 6 and eleven years old and by the time I retire, they’ll be old enough to chose to either come along sailing (as time allows) or follow other inclinations. To each his/her own.

When I do, finally, undertake those very extended cruises I’ve always wanted to do, Spirit will be fully paid off, in mint condition and I will have fulfilled all my professional and private obligations and secured a long-term future income for myself through my company.

In the meantime, I’m enjoying my work, travel extensively, will be in Malaysia often for business reasons (isn’t that a coincidence?) and can still continue to watch the little ones grow up and be there when they need me.

It’s a bit of a compromise but I think I can live with it.
Old 11-11-2007, 09:56   #36

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keegan View Post
For those of you who have tried, but FAILED to cut the land ties and sail away to far away places, for long periods of time, what is the number one reason you have not been able to do it?
I did not read it properly and from reading other's responses neither did they.

I have not tried...........yet because I can think ahead.

For many/most of the reasons on the poll.
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 10:48   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
I did not read it properly and from reading other's responses neither did they.
That's a valid observation, Therapy.

I calibrated my reply above more to the header above the poll itself: “Number one reason you have not sailed away yet??”, with emphasis on “sailed away yet”.

I suppose I’m not very oriented towards trying and failing at anything I undertake.

As such, I shouldn’t have voted on the poll, nor posted my comment.
Old 11-11-2007, 15:14   #38

Boat: Dolphin 460 Catamaran WONDERLAND
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyRaven View Post
I suppose I’m not very oriented towards trying and failing at anything I undertake.
Even if you have not "failed" your post was welcome.

Keegan
Keegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 15:47   #39

Thank you, Keegan.

Most of the folks here will not fail either.

They are the best of the best.

Respect.
Old 11-11-2007, 22:14   #40

Fingers Crossed

Have dreamt of cutting the line for several years but as I have over 34 years invested in my state funded & guaranteed superannuation fund this year was the earliest that I could retire.

I have just been shortlisted for a dream position as principal of the school on Lord Howe Island (off the coast of New South Wales-for those not lucky enough to live in eastern Australia) and if I interview well next week and am offered the position then I will call this island paradise "home' for at least 3 years. I will however retire on a handsome lifetime indexed pension and enough money to finance the purchase of a 34'-36' yacht.

The sacrifices we have to make. But one day...
markje4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 07:39   #41

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 311
I voted for 'other'.

To be frank I shall be 70 next birthday and I know others will say there is still time. However I must confess to liking a little more comfort these days and will stick to short cruises.

We have many great memories of being liveaboards, although we never did the ocean crossings I used to imagine doing.

We had our little adventure when I was 31 and my wife 27. We met many fascinating people along the way.

Good luck to all of you who are preparing and don't forget to leave.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
JamesFrance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 20:32   #42

Boat: Corbin 39 Pilot House, Tayana 42
After planning and dreaming for two years , I finally got tired of it , and bought a boat , even that we are not going cruising until next year . That was a big mistake . Keeping the boat for that period, paying insurance , interest , etc just adds to the cost , but I was worrying if I wouldn't buy it , on the way we would change the plans. This way there is no looking back . The only sailboat that I owned previously was my racing dinghy . So right now, instead of dreaming of exotic destinations , I' dreaming how I'm going to out fit the boat (actually more worrying than dreaming ) .But at this moment , at the beginning of the long Canadian winter , I'm in my lololand , and there is no five minutes that goes by if I wouldn't be thinking about me and my family living the dream .
henryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 22:30   #43

Boat: Eric Cox offshore 40ft cutter rigged sloop. named "Searcher" built 1965
Am determined to do it (next year??), just need enough of a bankroll to start, Live on my boat in Nelson New Zealand, would love to share all the adventures with a woman who is ?????????? you know..........don't want to do it all alone. Searcher
searcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2007, 05:07   #44

Boat: S/V Pooka Com-Pac 27
Our dream is a work in progress. A comprimise of my desire to sell everything and go for good and my wife's desire to keep our home and do short cruises. The current plan is to keep the house, which will be paid off soon, and do a yearlong cruise after retirement. Spend a winter in MX then head for the PNW for a summer. After that re-evaluate if the cruising life is what we really want, I'm thinking so.
As for carreer I'm 20 years into a pension and would be foolish to leave right now. Plus we have an option with my retirement that will net enough cash to purchase a cruising boat outright, and still have enough to live on. If all goes well.
In the meantime we will trailer Pooka to different places and explore all our options.

Good luck to all of you who have already or are about to go!

Bill
Old 13-11-2007, 16:28   #45
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Endeavour 42CC
Money & selling the house can be the same thing. I'm selling the house in the spring. Just don't know if I'll get as much as I'd like.
gettinthere is offline   Reply With Quote