Cruisers Forum

View Poll Results: Number one reason you have not sailed away yet??
Money 94 40.52%
Kids too young or dont want to go 20 8.62%
Spouse says: NO WAY 20 8.62%
Career plans in the way 30 12.93%
Cannot sell house to pay for it 7 3.02%
Fear of unknown 3 1.29%
Other 58 25.00%
Voters: 232. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-10-2010, 21:59   #121
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Many might not find a category designated for them in the poll. What about those that have "sailed away"? I think there are a good number of them on this site!
Old 28-10-2010, 22:00   #122

Boat: L. Francis Herreshoff H28 Ketch & Brisol 24 @ 25'
pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfmachine View Post
Ahoy shipmates, don't bother trying to convince anyone else to go with you, do it alone!!! I did it and after 9 months at sea, no marinas, just anchorages next to tropical islands and huge right hand surf breaks, I have never been happier or felt more alive. It's so easy, buy the cheapest boat that will float you there and go!
If you need some crew just advertise on one of the many crew wanted sites, works fine.
There have been lots of , but they are all just dim memeories now. Smaller is better!
Cheers from Keith.
Captain Keith,

Sounds like the life! Despite also having suffered some of those “"insurmountable problems and equipment failures" I am hoping I am not too far behind you in the voyage. Glad also to see you were clear of the Tsunami.
Old 28-10-2010, 22:05   #123

I have a "Family" I CANT get rid of... Yet ;-)
Spring is set for Departure to Seas unknown ...
Anyone want a Woman.. Cheep/Free... :-0
Saltwannabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2010, 03:17   #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltwannabee View Post
I have a "Family" I CANT get rid of... Yet ;-)
Spring is set for Departure to Seas unknown ...
Anyone want a Woman.. Cheep/Free... :-0
I'd rather take the boat! (no offence to your woman lol)
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
NYCSavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2010, 19:30   #125
Eternal Member

Boat: 30' William Atkin cutter
Send a message via ICQ to wolfenzee
There is an exercise I suggest everyone take to help them a bit on deciding.......step back and look around you, look at what everyone else considers important, where their priorities are, it is scary
Old 30-10-2010, 09:25   #126
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
i have unsurmountable failures on my boat but they are almost fixed....then i leave, taking the rest of my insurmountable failures along with me for repair at a later date.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2010, 21:33   #127

Boat: Far From Turtle: 1980 Pearson 424 cutter rigged ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by SurferShane View Post
Bugger, I have no coffee at home, but do have an un-opened jar on the boat. If I was a bit closer I would invite you over for a cupper.

Otherwise your situation sounds a lot like mine. There is nothing that major to be done that I can’t go and it looks like I am off tomorrow for another of those short trips at sea.
NSW Australia - now there's a great place on the planet to be cruising. and wonderful countries close by to make a passage to see. you need to get out there too!
First Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 15:13   #128
cruiser

If I had insisted on waiting for someone to go with me, I would have done very little sailing. If the right crew comes along, wunerful , but don;t plan on it.
I hear Australia is one of the most bureaucratically hostile cruising destinations in the Pacific. No thanks!
Brent Swain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 16:08   #129

Location: Cruising the West coast of Sumatra and the offshore islands, surfing!!
Boat: Feltz Skorpion mark 11A, Aluminium 39' sloop, constructed Hamburg. https://photobucket.com/eloise_01
Send a message via Skype™ to surfmachine
Yachty bashing!!!?

The Johnny Howard liberal government threw huge amounts of money at border security and refugee bashing, this won him an election a few terms ago.

So the customs and immigration people got lots of extra powers and money. As a consequence they exercise them (bureaucrats never give up anything they have gained), on the only vulnerable visitors to Australia, Yachties and illegal immigrants and boat people.

Any other country can be just as unpleasent if you get on the wrong side of them, it's just all new to these services and they follow the rule book as laid down by the law makers in parliment. The customs officials are all really nice people underneath, like all us Aussies?
Old 02-11-2010, 10:53   #130

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfenzee View Post
There is an exercise I suggest everyone take to help them a bit on deciding.......step back and look around you, look at what everyone else considers important, where their priorities are, it is scary

My wife is pissed that I have all these boxes under my pooter desk.. its ALL I plan on taking with me when i make my Escape.. If it DONT fit in my truck. it AINT going. Im dedicated to Stream lining my existence and making it SIMPLE.. Theres a ton of Photo albums and other usles junk all going in the trash with THIS Life.

If i dont Kill myself before hand..

This depressing Hell hole is causing me to Lose me sence of Humer.. the only thing between me and Total Madness.. :-/
Saltwannabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 06:45   #131

Boat: Trapper 300
check out this video- go for it anything is possible

Hold Fast on Vimeo
heron237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 14:15   #132
Eternal Member

Boat: 30' William Atkin cutter
Send a message via ICQ to wolfenzee
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
i have unsurmountable failures on my boat but they are almost fixed....then i leave, taking the rest of my insurmountable failures along with me for repair at a later date.
The only truly insurmountable failure on a boat is something that leaves the boat at the bottom of the ocean

A man jumped off a bridge and right before he hit the water he realized that the only mistake in his life that could not be over come was the one he just made".....
Old 06-05-2012, 19:35   #133

Boat: in between boats
Re: Living Your Dream

Ok ok ok, I know this is an old thread, I get it, but I like it. One gets inspiration from many places. One of mine came from Christina Aguilara in the movie Burlesque. When asked why she left the little town she called home, her characters reply was, "I looked around and didn't see anyone's life I wanted, so I split."
larryb is offline   Reply With Quote