Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-01-2015, 20:19   #46
cruiser

Re: Locations Where Guns Are Required by Authorities

Quote:
Originally Posted by deblen View Post
I would like to add that it is because of the severe restrictions on hand gun ownership/use,& the absolute prohibition of fully automatic weapons,we Canadians have no concerns about being "gunned down" by Joe Average Citizen,just because he is having a bad day or spent the night with Capt. Morgan.
No, this won't deteriorate into a common gun-politics thread. Because no one here would cross the line into idiotic political statements.
Jammer Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2015, 20:24   #47
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
I went out with one particular Spanish woman who was very beautiful.

If she was looking at you, be very afraid.
If she was not looking at you, be very afraid.
If she was in next room and talking to you, be very afraid.

I was afraid.
You went out with Rita!

I've always wondered where she went...
Jammer Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2015, 05:09   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crosis View Post
rob is correct. The Canadian gun laws are very strict. Its best to just not take the gun. I leave mine in my home in the USA when I go to my home in Canada.
Fire arms aren't that restricted in Canada. I would think it would be difficult to find a farm any where in Canada without 3 or 4 fire arms.

Canada is a big wild country full of bears and coyotes that will eat you and moose and deer that make excellent burritos.

The fire arms that are hard to come by in Canada are combat fire arms, hand guns, assault rifles and that sort of thing.
We only have a reputation for restrictive fire arms laws because of our proximity to the United States.

The US second amendment is a very interesting law, but is fairly unique to that country.

Also a note on 12 gauge vs bear. A 12 gauge is definitely the tool I would use. Either 00 or slug. If you're outside 50 meters and you shoot a bear- that isn't self defense-that's hunting.

A bear will bluff charge often to within 5 meters. This is his way of telling you he's the boss. Not that he plans to eat you.

If he plans to eat you- he's not coming at you from 50 meters away over open ground. I don't think any animal hunts like that. You'll probably smell him and hear him breathing before you see him.

If you can smell him and feel his hot breath on the back of your neck, I'd say shoot him. Personally, at that range, I would want a shotgun. Pump or better yet- semi auto. Both can be purchased at your local Canadian Tire.

Sent from my SGH-I547C using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
FamilyVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2015, 05:23   #49

When I was in the far north I saw a couple sawed-offs that people had made while others asked me if I would be willing to get them hand guns from the states. Sort of a drag wielding a long gun in a tent full of family including granny and a bunch of kids when there is a polar bear outside.
Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2015, 05:51   #50
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FamilyVan View Post
Also a note on 12 gauge vs bear. A 12 gauge is definitely the tool I would use. Either 00 or slug. If you're outside 50 meters and you shoot a bear- that isn't self defense-that's hunting.

A bear will bluff charge often to within 5 meters. This is his way of telling you he's the boss. Not that he plans to eat you.

If he plans to eat you- he's not coming at you from 50 meters away over open ground. I don't think any animal hunts like that. You'll probably smell him and hear him breathing before you see him.

If you can smell him and feel his hot breath on the back of your neck, I'd say shoot him. Personally, at that range, I would want a shotgun. Pump or better yet- semi auto. Both can be purchased at your local Canadian Tire.

I'm certainly no expert, but in the event of a close encounter, that would be my preference, as well...

However, everyone I saw in Labrador appeared to be carrying rifles. And all of the shooting I witnessed was from long range, in the form of 'Warning Shots'...

Both in Hebron - where the small group of caretakers have really been pestered by bears in recent years, and they were compelled to kill a particularly aggressive one a few years ago - and at the Torngat park headquarters in St Johns harbor at Saglek Bay, the bear monitors pretty much were firing warning shots in the general vicinity of a bear at a considerable distance, at the first indication one might be approaching the camp...

All visitors to the park are required to watch a video on bear behavior and protection. It's a good introduction, and one of the things stressed is their general aversion to loud noises, so the simple sound of a gunshot is often sufficient to ward them off...

Having said that, however, much of the talk I heard up there re polar bears involved how much their behavior and general habitat has changed in recent years due to the local changes in climate... They are ranging wider, venturing into places they weren't typically seen before, and seem to be 'hungrier', producing more generally aggressive behavior towards humans... The small group who inhabit Hebron during the summer, in particular, stressed this - it almost seemed like they felt they were a bit 'under siege' there, and warning shots could be heard frequently throughout the day...

Needless to say, once I was north of Nain, I rarely got off the boat :-) Always hoisted the inflatable clear of the water, as bears often confuse them with something tasty... But up there, if a concern about the bears doesn't deter you from venturing too far on foot ashore, the mosquitoes certainly will... :-))

Here's an account of a recent attack on some hikers in Torngat park a couple of years ago. Everyone was in agreement that this party had been really careless, remaining camped in the same spot on a beach for several days. That's pretty dumb, polar bears are renowned for their patience, and will stalk their prey for days, the way those people were camping was literally an open invitation...

Hikers woken by screams during Labrador polar bear attack - Newfoundland & Labrador - CBC News

Jon Eisberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2015, 06:15   #51

Jon, I have never sailed the Labrador coast- you're very fortunate to have done that. Very cool.
However, I road my motorcycle up the Labrador highway- not as far north as you.
My recollection of Labrador is a very heavy native population. This is just a theory but do you think rifles might be more popular because of the native population?
Natives are permitted to hunt off season and do hunt year round. A shotgun would be virtually useless for hunting on open tundra terrain. I'm wondering if the locals there just carry a single general purpose gun.
A .306 for all season's, equally capable of bear protection and elk hunting.

Old 16-01-2015, 06:27   #52

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by FamilyVan View Post
Fire arms aren't that restricted in Canada. I would think it would be difficult to find a farm any where in Canada without 3 or 4 fire arms.

Canada is a big wild country full of bears and coyotes that will eat you and moose and deer that make excellent burritos.
Coyotes who want to eat you?? They are the best cat control mechanism our village has found. Bring on the yodel dogs!

Quote:
I agree 100% percent with this.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 16-01-2015, 06:39   #53

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

The Canadian far north is definitely "frontier",sparsely populated,& has some dangerous wildlife.Hunting rifles/shotguns are just another tool of common sense survival in those situations,as is proper education about dealing with animals you may encounter.Wounding a large animal with any handgun or short range/poor accuracy sawed-off may or may not benefit you.
If you are in such an area,you are "roughing it",& should be prepared at all times by proper food storage,standing watch-whatever is reqd.

90% of Canadians live within 500mi. of US border,& wildlife conditions are the same as in bordering states-animals don't recognize boundaries-LOL
In this boundary area,you will not encounter any animal that is not encountered in northern states.

I have several hunting rifles of various calibre & a couple of shotguns, with ammo, locked in my gun locker.
So far,I haven't felt the need to consider them as protection from other humans,so they remain locked,to help prevent my grandchildren,or any other un-authorized person,from "playing with them".

Hunting rifles & shotguns are not restricted in any way in Canada,except by some common sense rules:
Pass a written & practical test(2hrs) that demonstrate you know how to safely handle,transport,hunt with & store them.
& basic hunters survival.
You can't legally have a loaded firearm in/on a vehicle
Within 400 yds (200 birdshot) of home,school,business,etc.

Handguns have been restricted (not prohibited)since 1932

Canucks are an easy going bunch-come visit! LOL / Len
Old 16-01-2015, 07:25   #54

I was stationed in Winnipeg Mb for 10 yrs and every second year we would plan a trip to hunt Caribou up north. This meant a 8 hr drive north to Gilliam in January,we would load our snow machines in a rail car and catch a ride north. They have maintenance shacks on the route so we would pick a jump off point and unload our kit and head into the tundra to find the herd. My rifle at the time for long distance was a Ruger 7mm mag. kicked like a mule but extremely accurate. We never encountered polar bears to far south for them. It was so cold but we loved it .

I know for a lot of northern communities Inuit , The Canadian government created the Canadian Rangers , All members of the Canadian Rangers are supplied with .308 rifles and a free ration of ammunition. Once a year we would fly north to give them basic military tactics and they would train us in arctic survival. Its funny, now since I look back at the amount of times I was up there that I never seen a polar bear. I was never in Church Hill which has a huge bear population.
One guy I worked with grew up in Church Hill and the stories he had, Polar Bears will hunt humans especially kids.

But I think we have got off of topic so basically come to Canada ,sail our coastline enjoy our food but leave your guns at home, to save the hassle.
Most Canadians are more than willing to step in if you feel unsafe or need help at any time.

Steadman if you ever come up here don't for get your camera.
Rob
rob67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2015, 07:47   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
Coyotes who want to eat you?? They are the best cat control mechanism our village has found. Bring on the yodel dogs!

I agree 100% percent with this.

Your not suggesting I was exaggerating? I would never!

Okay, they are a pest though, and one went after my 70 lb Bassett Hound last year. That's pretty bold. I just fired my 12 gauge into the dirt and that scared him off.

Old 16-01-2015, 07:47   #56

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob67 View Post

I know for a lot of northern communities Inuit , The Canadian government created the Canadian Rangers , All members of the Canadian Rangers are supplied with .308 rifles and a free ration of ammunition. .....
I think they are actually .303 british rifles.

Old 16-01-2015, 07:53   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delancey View Post
When I was in the far north I saw a couple sawed-offs that people had made while others asked me if I would be willing to get them hand guns from the states. Sort of a drag wielding a long gun in a tent full of family including granny and a bunch of kids when there is a polar bear outside.
Sawed off is illegal in Canada (although I don't doubt you saw them). The barrel length must be over 47cm. I have a single shot Harrington and Richardson that would be (nearly) as fast to handle as sawed off.

I like the single shot because I can carry it unloaded then load and fire very quickly.

Old 16-01-2015, 07:56   #58

Yikers!

Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2015, 08:17   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
I think they are actually .303 british rifles.

Yes they were .303 lee enfields , but have started to convert to .308 which is a 7.62mm round that fits universality of equipment for the military.

Harper wants a more dominant presence in the north so has started upgrading equipment. Its the military evolution. Lots of interesting changes happening up there.

But thanks for pointing the .303 issue out, I'm not very good at explaining things in writing. I was a soldier not a politician
Rob
rob67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2015, 08:44   #60
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Delancy,
You know the story of those photo's? My understanding was the man was an oilfield worker or similar, he wasn't messing with any Cub, the bear was literally going to eat him. First vehicle was locked, and he got really lucky and found one that wasn't.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Guns