Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-08-2015, 20:13   #1

Logbook

Hello, I have attempted to use the search option but either nothings comes up or I am missing a few brain cells. I have just passed my ASA 101 certification course and I am looking for a logbook for all of my subsequent sailing trips. I can't seem to find any good pages online that I could print out as many people write int he comments that it is either missing this or that. I wanted to know what you all used and if there was a way to print them or where I could purchase them. Links would be much appreciated.
Manuel_Nino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 23:34   #2

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3
Re: Logbook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuel_Nino View Post
Hello, I have attempted to use the search option but either nothings comes up or I am missing a few brain cells. I have just passed my ASA 101 certification course and I am looking for a logbook for all of my subsequent sailing trips. I can't seem to find any good pages online that I could print out as many people write int he comments that it is either missing this or that. I wanted to know what you all used and if there was a way to print them or where I could purchase them. Links would be much appreciated.
Lots for sale here:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss...ok%2Caps%2C270

Halfway down the page is Captain's Logbook - that one looks reasonable

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2015, 05:38   #3

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran

All a logbook really needs is pages. You can enter whatever information you consider necessary in whatever format suits you.
There is no mandatory form.
Old 13-08-2015, 06:12   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

Unprinted pages make for a more concise logbook.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2015, 06:16   #5

Boat: Amazon 49 cutter, custom steel boat built in Surrey, Canada

We went to Office Depot or someplace like it and bought a simple soft bound journal, similar to a diary. It has maybe 200 pages of lined sheets that we use for log entries. It cost six or seven bucks and suits our needs admirably.

Cheers!

Steve
steve77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2015, 12:30   #6
Eternal Member

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

As a retired geologist I would also recommend a plain notebook that would allow you to record what you think is important.

If you google field notebook you will find many vendors for the same notebooks I used for over 30 years. I suggest them because they are virtually indestructible, water proof and are designed to allow you write even when wet. Some are bound and others come with a plastic ring binder to allow removal or refilling with pages.

Rich

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
cabo_sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2015, 15:03   #7

Boat: Watkins 29'

I use the Notes app on my IPhone.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 13-08-2015, 15:15   #8

Boat: Pearson 39-2 "Sea Story"

Quite frankly, no one but you is going to care how much time you log in the size boat you can take out after ASA 101. Any further certification that requires sea hours will have minimum standards for size that usually start around 24 feet. As such, a plain notebook is definitely your best bet and you should put in the kind of thing you would like to remember later. We sometimes even pull out our ship's log to record the names of dock neighbor's, because we are really bad with names.
Greenhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2015, 15:20   #9
Eternal Member

Boat: Cabo Rico 38
Logbook

Greenhand has a point. For most people the log book is a souvenir. Personally I've tried to keep one and get bored so no new entries. Your choice.

Rich
Edit: when I bought my first boat I started a log of maintenance and expenses. That lasted about a month or two. It just got too depressing. 😖

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
cabo_sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2015, 20:04   #10

Thank you all for your replies. I will definitely take it all into consideration!
Manuel_Nino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2015, 08:33   #11

Boat: 35' Pearson sloop
Logbook

Once again I disagree with the necessity of having a logbook. I am somewhat anal-retentive but I have kept fairly extensive logs since I started boating in 1960! How they have been helpful is multifaceted. For one thing when I decided to get a commercial license, I had verification of sea time!, Insurers take one look at the logs and I get the lowest rates, there are many ways that keeping good records can help you. By far the most valuable thing has been when we decide to go back to some place we haven't been in many we we can review and see any problem spots, good/bad anchorages etc. i always found two much data is better than no data! Also if your a commercial captain and have to go to court over some related matter a log book can make the difference between winning and losing!
lesterbutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2015, 08:46   #12

Boat: Skookum 53'

And too much data, is better than two much data.
Old 17-08-2015, 08:50   #13

Boat: 35' Pearson sloop

Whoops, 2- to - too - two - Tew = toooo many 2s!
lesterbutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2015, 09:39   #14

Boat: Swan, 1968, 36'

Logbooks are very important to me. I actually maintain 3 on my boat. This comes from my experience as a private pilot where I maintain 4 (flight log, engine log, hull log, prop log) These are required by the FAA.
When I bought my boat I was amazed to find that there was nothing that was even close to what I consider real logs.

So I have now gone to Office Depot and purchased two good quality 4x8 hard bound blank books with about 200 pages each. One is an engine log and the second is a hull log. I have a third much larger bound book which is the more traditional trip log used in boating.

I use the trip log as described as some discussed in this post. I do require myself or crew to log lat,lon, boat speed and other relevant conditions each hour. Of course much else may be recorded as desired. There are some pretty good reasons for this in off shore sailing. I have lost my electronic charting capabilities more than once for part or all of the remainder of that trip. This log information gave me this ability to chart my course on the paper charts I carry (I look at those paper charts along current trips but no longer mark each time check). Making the completion of the leg safely. I also log when (hours run) and how much fuel is added to track consumption.

This was how I was trained by the very experienced person I learned to sail with. And I have found it to be very valuable.

In both the engine and hull logs I record the date and a detailed account of each repair or improvement I make. This is so important to me because I know the process used to do the repair or maintenance item, speeding up and making it more efficient the next time. These logs also show if parts or my instillation is failing in short order and needing a better installation or a better part. Also I need this information to know when fluids where changed etc.

To me after having this same experience with aircraft. I was incredibly frustrated to have none of this information on the boat I purchased. These logs save me lots of time and money by having this information.

Probably over done but this method has proved valuable to me, and once you form the habit of filling it these logs they take little time.

Tags
log, logbook