Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-09-2013, 06:03   #1

Boat: Hudson Force 50
Long term anchorage, mooring or dry dock in mexico

Hi,

I'm looking for a long term place for my sailing yacht in Mexico between la Paz and Acapulco.

Does anybody has some ideas and personal experience?

Long term means between 6-12 month.

Muchas gracias
ZERO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 06:12   #2
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Re: Long term anchorage, mooring or dry dock in mexico

la paz and guaymas in golfo de california
mazatlan has singular.err fornatur yard.....
mazatlan is as far south as reasonable marinas go......
good luck....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2013, 02:54   #3

Hi,
La Paz is not really cheap. They charge the same rates as in San Diego or Ensenada.

Cabo San Lucas is even more expensive.

Mazathlan seems to be cheaper. But I'm looking for a mooring which costs around half of a slip.

Does anybody heard something about security problems. I don't wanna leave the boat there for 6 Month and just found a bare hull or even nothing when I come back!!

Is there any good spot up north in sea of Cortez?

Thanks
Old 13-09-2013, 05:17   #4

Boat: Custom 36' folding sailing cat
Guaymas or San Carlos is the best and cheapest.

I believe you can get a mooring ball for $100 a month.
Also hauling and storing on land is very cheap also.

I also know that people put their own mooring ball in in Puerto Escondido (Baja). Price? No say...
solarbri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2013, 05:20   #5

And I feel VERY safe in the San Carlos area.

Are you leaving it there the whole 6 months?
Look into hauling it at Marina San Carlos Seca, or Gabriel's yard in Guaymas.
FYI...Guaymas is a real working Mexican city. San Carlos (right next door) is known as Scotsdale south.
My boat is in San Carlos. Can't wait to get back there this November!!!
Old 13-09-2013, 05:36   #6

How long did you leave the boat unattended there?
The prices sound much better there..!
Old 13-09-2013, 05:48   #7

My boat is trailerable. So, it cost me 35 pesos ($3) to use the ramp at Marina San Carlos. I hauled it out this last May. I've stored her at the Marina Seca (dry storage) last year for a good price ($75 per month), but this year, I left her at an RV storage lot for $50 per month.
Highly recommended!!!
Old 13-09-2013, 06:50   #8

Boat: Cruisers Yachts 420 Express
Send a message via ICQ to jeremiason Send a message via Yahoo to jeremiason Send a message via Skype™ to jeremiason

You didn't say how big your boat was....

If you want in water storage... Marina La Cruz in Banderas Bay offers a very large discount for boats who spend the summer months. Mazatlan Marina is inland and has a couple of businesses that offer boat sitting. Both marinas are fairly safe from Hurricanes in the summer months.

The remainder of the Pacific Coast gets wacked once in a while in the summer months and the marinas are not very well protected for hurricanes.

For dry storage I would recommend San Carlos or Guaymas, both of which have cheap dry storage facilities.

If you want to go farther south, Marina Chiapas just opened and offers both docks and dry storage. It is inland, which should provide some protection from hurricanes.

jeremiason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2013, 07:44   #9

in warter storage in mexican nmarinas varies year to year.
marina la cruz will not lower rates below 35 cnts per foot perday
marina here in barra de navidad is 25 cents perfoot per month.
marina mazatlan is 22 cents per foot per month.
isla marina in mazatlan is best pricing tin mazatlan at 376usd per month for a 40 ft boat. no added electric charges.
i like barra de navidad best as the storms of summer arent formed yet an dwinds ar eless than in mazatlan. barra also experiences fewer tormentas of summer--less lightning here than mazatlan

yeah yah yeah bad holding
yeahyeah yeah furycame zone--rodlmao--i have lived here thru letters a-l so far withou t any problem, as winds were below 45 kts throughout the entire summer. i am happier here than a hanging onto decaying docks in mazatlan.
is better here than la cruz marina as it is actually lighted at night--la cruz is not.
wifi hre is more reliable, despite failures.
the few who remain in barra thru summer are not stupid--we do this for a reason.
the bad holding in lagoon is irrelevant in summer--there are mangroves, and water u i sjust deep enough for our boats in them.
in winter, we use 150 ft minimum of chain on oversized anchors and hold fast in 35 kt daily winds. no problem.
problems here arise from anchoring in a current during storms as runoff is heavy.
also when folks come in and use short chain and rope rodes and drag in 15 kts winds..lol--here the magic is more chain.
anchor outs in summer migrate into the mangroves and do not even feel the wind. their tarps do not rip nor fly off, and they actually sleep in storms.
the marina is protected from currents and most winds.
this marina is 1/3 occupancy -- most are boats left here for summer months.
here the rate is 25 cents per foot per day per month. plus electricity.

proper prep for our to be named storms----lee side

weather side--

during our strongest storm to date, we clocked 45 kt gusting and only one soul suffered any damage--a michaelson vagabond ketch lost a hatch cover--it floated upside down around this marina until it reappeared at their dock 2 days later.
Old 13-09-2013, 08:01   #10

You can get a mooring in La Paz as well. Mingat can get you some details, he has (had?) one there. If you're going to leave it over the hurricane season you should probably consider hauling it out.

The fouling in those latitudes is ridiculously fast. If it's in the water, you're going to need some level of attendance to it monthly or it's going to suffer some decent neglect damage. If you parked it in a really sheltered slip (like Marina Costa Baja in La Paz) you'll pay through the nose but that place could probably withstand a powerful cyclone hit.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2013, 06:07   #11

Hi,

Lots of infos.. Thanks a lot.

My boat is a Hudson force 50. 50ft long and about 24t of weight.

I would prefer to leave it on land.

Did the actual storm damage any boats in mazathlan?
Old 17-09-2013, 09:15   #12

we have enjoyed 13 storms here in barra de navidad , and no boats or anything in our protected area has been touched in any negative manner. there is a long term rate which i dont know--summer is 25 cents per foot per day plus electricity which is metered.
many boats have been left here fro summer and are safe.
there has been no theft here in barra. this is a small population with great personal pride.

cyclonic systems have yet to fully develop over this area, so hit is lighter than after the storm has had a chance to develop
Old 17-09-2013, 09:35   #13

I was actually thinking about this yesterday and I'd make these statements about a cyclone area (in cyclone season):

- Your odds of being directly hit by a major storm (>75 knot winds) is actually quite slim.

- Your odds of being affected by storms that directly hit other areas is quite good, basically 100%. So you might not have the eye go over you, but some of the remnants low or the rain bands will hit you with their winds and pressure gradient.

- Cyclones move at 100-200 nm per day, so you can make a bit of distance to keep yourself away from the track.

- No matter what you do, no matter where you go, you always have the possibility of taking a direct hit from a major storm. The place you go to to avoid the storm might very well be the place the storm decides to move to.

It's kind of a toss up because Puerto Escondido is probably the best place on the west coast of Mexico to weather a cyclone. The flip side is that, so far, we haven't needed the protection it offers because we didn't have a direct hit. We could (so far) have anchored in La Paz and been just as fine. In fact we would have been better, because being in Timbuktu for a few months, in hell heat, is not a lot of fun.

But truly unless someone is going to write you a check for your boat or pay to have it fully repaired and floated again, you need to balance the decision of where you leave your boat.

Google [port name] and "hurricane damage" to see the history of what's happened when various storms have gone through that area.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2013, 09:40   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
I was actually thinking about this yesterday and I'd make these statements about a cyclone area (in cyclone season):

- Your odds of being directly hit by a major storm (>75 knot winds) is actually quite slim.

- Your odds of being affected by storms that directly hit other areas is quite good, basically 100%. So you might not have the eye go over you, but some of the remnants low or the rain bands will hit you with their winds and pressure gradient.

- Cyclones move at 100-200 nm per day, so you can make a bit of distance to keep yourself away from the track.

- No matter what you do, no matter where you go, you always have the possibility of taking a direct hit from a major storm. The place you go to to avoid the storm might very well be the place the storm decides to move to.

It's kind of a toss up because Puerto Escondido is probably the best place on the west coast of Mexico to weather a cyclone. The flip side is that, so far, we haven't needed the protection it offers because we didn't have a direct hit. We could (so far) have anchored in La Paz and been just as fine. In fact we would have been better, because being in Timbuktu for a few months, in hell heat, is not a lot of fun.

But truly unless someone is going to write you a check for your boat or pay to have it fully repaired and floated again, you need to balance the decision of where you leave your boat.

Google [port name] and "hurricane damage" to see the history of what's happened when various storms have gone through that area.
Are you referring to Puerto Escondido on the Baja?
If so, you should go hike up "Steinbeck canyon" which is just up the road and across the highway.
Absolutely stunning!
PM me for more info if necessary.
Old 17-09-2013, 09:59   #15

as i have experienced 13 storms out of 13 in this year alone, and other storms in other places-=first year, mazatlan--winds are high there--can be an issue to those anchored as that is not an option in high winds as wells and surge conditions. was not pleasnat--much cloud to ground lightning and tormentas--ferocious storms.lol btdt my first year here.... ok...
second year wa sin la cruz de huanacaxtle, nayarit....banderas bay-- we were threatened by one named storm--that bud wasnt for us--but the area is conducive to katabatic winds which DO happen occasionally and cause major stress to boating....
here in barra de navidad for many reasons---most of which are the protection offered here that is not offered in other places. during jova, o boats dragged--the damage was outside the lagoon, not inside.. protected puerto escondido cannot say that no boats dragged in a cyclone--i know a few that did. more than one year of it. no thanks.
here in this area in summer, rates are better than good-- some of best in mexico-in winter is high season and they match everyone else's highest rates. baja has no high or low season ratings. it is always high season.
ease of repair and access to appropriate repair souls---better here than in baja. i know too many souls there and most are not on my life's page of friends for a reason.
where storms form there is much less wind. might drown in rainfall, but that is because it is not desert here---another plus, in my book. desert is extreme-- here is not extreme in temperature daily---we get no days above 90... i love that,and no nights below 72f... also awesome. of course the humidity in summer is high--lol.. if that isnt a positive, go where temp and humidity suits your soul. oh yes and wind direction.
i do not have furycame winds with furycames. i have pleasant rain--sometimes a lil much, but catch the stuff and use it.lol what a concept..free water.....lol
we not bragging--we stating fact. is pleasant here--unlike the other summers i spent in mexico--this is pleasant. not extreme in heat, and not intolerable humidity
humidity is good fro skin and hair. and fingernails. strengthens and smooths hair and strengthens nails. also gives us a larger variety of free food--fruit trees actually produce here. plentifully.
have fun in blistering desert heat while we have rain to cool us. one of many reasons i chose NOT to sail baja--i do not DO desert. i treat myself to comfort..
solarbri--look up the damages but also--LOOK UP THE PROTECTION AND WHERE THE DAMAGE EXACTLY HAS BEEN--it has been on the beach outside lagoon. lagoon is where in all the boating stuff is kept. while you research, punch in damages to boats in marina and mangroves here in barra lagoon.. i think you will be surprised. i have been here. i have been in la cruz in summer, and i have summered also in mazatlan.
thinking about it and going thru it are two entirely different things.

thinking yields no positivity , living thru it shows actualities.
the inner baja coast gives one the feeling of false security. when a named storm decides to bounce around inside there it causes much damage. and is essentially unavoidable.
btw--manny was 30 percent this am--he coming up mainland mexico inside golfo de california, aka sea of cortez--hope it doesnt get to carried away with itself. even if merely windy rainy tboomers it will be uncomfortable there. we actually didnt have winds from this system.. only from 2 of them--cosme and erick. the rest have been essentially wind free raininess.

btw--marina la cruz charges summer rate is 35 cnts per foot per day per month. here is 25 cents per foot per day per month--i choose here as it is safer place for full on hit. for example, oct 2011--jova--ht here with minimal damage here where boats are kept--just do that which the pangeros do..lol easy peasy.
ABPZ20 KNHC 171130
TWOEP

TROPICAL WEATHER OUTLOOK
NWS NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL
500 AM PDT TUE SEP 17 2013

FOR THE EASTERN NORTH PACIFIC...EAST OF 140 DEGREES WEST LONGITUDE..

A BROAD AREA OF LOW PRESSURE...ASSOCIATED WITH THE REMNANTS OF
MANUEL...IS PRODUCING A LARGE AREA OF CLOUDINESS AND THUNDERSTORMS
ALONG THE WEST-CENTRAL COAST OF MEXICO AND ADJACENT WATERS. THERE
ARE CURRENTLY NO SIGNS OF A WELL-DEFINED SURFACE CIRCULATION...
HOWEVER ENVIRONMENTAL CONDITIONS APPEAR MARGINALLY CONDUCIVE FOR
SOME REDEVELOPMENT OF THIS SYSTEM. THIS DISTURBANCE IS FORECAST
TO MOVE SLOWLY NORTHWESTWARD AT ABOUT 5 MPH...AND BECOME NEARLY
STATIONARY CLOSE TO THE SOUTHERN TIP OF THE BAJA CALIFORNIA
PENINSULA IN A COUPLE OF DAYS. THIS SYSTEM HAS A MEDIUM
CHANCE...30 PERCENT...OF BECOMING A TROPICAL CYCLONE DURING THE
NEXT 48 HOURS...AND A MEDIUM CHANCE...30 PERCENT...OF BECOMING A
TROPICAL CYCLONE DURING THE NEXT 5 DAYS.

&&
FIVE-DAY FORMATION PROBABILITIES ARE EXPERIMENTAL IN 2013. COMMENTS
ON THE EXPERIMENTAL FORECASTS CAN BE PROVIDED AT...

http://WWW.NWS.NOAA.GOV/SURVEY/NWS-SURVEY.PHP?CODE=ETWO

Tags
paracelle